Sublime Text and SL Script File Name

GManB

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1308 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Quick question for those who use Sublime Text as an external editor for editing scripts. Then I click 'Edit' on a script up in-world Sublime Text opens the file fine but the filename displayed in the tab of Sublime Text is of the following format, sl_script_<UUID>.lsl. I would greatly prefer to see the in-world name of the script file in the tab.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
G

Hmm... I wonder if there are other shell variables other than %s that specifies different formats of the filename.

Edit: Looking at the source, I didn't see other options (If I'm reading it right)

https://vcs.firestormviewer.org/phoenix-firestorm-release/files/tip/indra/newview/llexternaleditor.cpp?at=tip

Edited by Phate Shepherd

1 hour ago, Phate Shepherd said:

Hmm... I wonder if there are other shell variables other than %s that specifies different formats of the filename.

Edit: Looking at the source, I didn't see other options (If I'm reading it right)

https://vcs.firestormviewer.org/phoenix-firestorm-release/files/tip/indra/newview/llexternaleditor.cpp?at=tip

There's a lot more code in llpreviewscript.cpp, getTmpFileName seems to be most relevant, but I'm not sure:
https://vcs.firestormviewer.org/phoenix-firestorm-release/files/tip/indra/newview/llpreviewscript.cpp?at=tip#L2045

Anyway, there's no option to choose the file-name format for external files. (Besides editing the source code, obviously.) If the script was named after the inventory name, you couldn't edit two scripts with the same name at the same time.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

If the script was named after the inventory name, you couldn't edit two scripts with the same name at the same time.

Ah, right. It has, I'll admit, taken me a bit of time to get used to having more than one file in an inventory 'directory' with the same name, whether they are the same file or different files lol. I get that names of assets in SL are display names and the underlying names in the OS filesystem are unique. Just, a bit different to get used to. 

G

2 hours ago, GManB said:

It has, I'll admit, taken me a bit of time to get used to having more than one file in an inventory 'directory' with the same name, whether they are the same file or different files lol.

Yeah, as a default, always sort your inventory by date, so that if you have duplicate scripts with the same name, you'll  at least be able to tell which one is the most recent.  It would be very handy if the system allowed for automatic versioning, but it doesn't.  To compensate, I try to remember to assign my own version numbers to successive upgrades to a script:

Tricky script v1.0

Tricky Script v1.1

Tricky Script v1.2

Tricky Script v2.0

That puts the full burden on my own cluttered mind, which is not a safe guarantee that versions won't get muddled, but it's a start.

4 hours ago, GManB said:

Ah, right. It has, I'll admit, taken me a bit of time to get used to having more than one file in an inventory 'directory' with the same name, whether they are the same file or different files lol. I get that names of assets in SL are display names and the underlying names in the OS filesystem are unique. Just, a bit different to get used to. 

G

Still, it might be worth suggesting in a jira entry to change the viewer source so that the temp name is something like "Script Name-UUID.lsl" instead of "sl_script_UUID.lsl"

Maybe it was simply done out of concern for script names that have characters that are illegal in the 3 supported OSs, like : or / or ? or whatever.

Edited by Phate Shepherd

How to I file a jira issue?

Happy to do so.

on illegal chars, also, '.', when it isn't in x.y format, can cause weirdness.. but easy enough to do a replace when the name goes out to the external editor and to use only the UUID when the file is saved and thus goes back in-world.

G

Edited by GManB
Added detail

Just go to https://jira.secondlife.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa and click the menu button labeled Create at the top of the page.

Actually, if you have never been there before, it's smart to visit http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Bug_Tracker first, and to do some searching to be sure that someone else hasn't already  posted something similar.  It's mostly self-explanatory.

4 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Yeah, as a default, always sort your inventory by date, so that if you have duplicate scripts with the same name, you'll  at least be able to tell which one is the most recent.  It would be very handy if the system allowed for automatic versioning, but it doesn't.  To compensate, I try to remember to assign my own version numbers to successive upgrades to a script:

Tricky script v1.0

Tricky Script v1.1

Tricky Script v1.2

Tricky Script v2.0

That puts the full burden on my own cluttered mind, which is not a safe guarantee that versions won't get muddled, but it's a start.

I am doing the same. And often get myself confused. On my current project I have two objects and two scripts. One object with its script goes into the Contents of the other object. I try to keep version numbers the same for all four assets. But even being careful I realized yesterday that I was using v0.8.3 of one script when all the others were v0.9.0. And, one script reference the other object by name so I have to update that in the code when I change versions.

sighs...

And to be sure that both scripts have the same version number, ask one or the other in state_entry to check ...

integer CheckVersions()
{
    integer i;
    list Versions;
    while ( i < 2)
    {
         string name = llGetInventoryName(INVENTORY_SCRIPT,i);
         list temp = llParseString2List(name, ["v "],[ ]);
         Versions += [ llList2String(temp,1) ];
         ++i;
    }
    if ( llList2String(Versions, 0) == llList2String(Versions,1))   return TRUE;
    else   return FALSE;
}

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Just go to https://jira.secondlife.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa and click the menu button labeled Create at the top of the page.

Actually, if you have never been there before, it's smart to visit http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Bug_Tracker first, and to do some searching to be sure that someone else hasn't already  posted something similar.  It's mostly self-explanatory.

Rolig,

While starting to read the Bug_Tracker page the thought occurred to me that this probably wouldn't be considered a 'bug' by the powers that be. Probably more like a feature request. I have seen a page for feature requests. I'll poke around and see if I can find it.

G

2 minutes ago, GManB said:

Rolig,

While starting to read the Bug_Tracker page the thought occurred to me that this probably wouldn't be considered a 'bug' by the powers that be. Probably more like a feature request. I have seen a page for feature requests. I'll poke around and see if I can find it.

G

The Jira (or "bug tracker") is also used for feature requests.

Once you log in (using your regular Second Life account), there's a blue "Create" button at the top of the page.

By default, it should suggest the "BUG" project with the "Issue type" set to "feature request." If not, just choose those from the first two dropdown menus.

c6135007d3.png

• Like 1

The Jira issue I created for this feature request has been 'Accepted' by Mazidox Linden. No expected implementation date is given but I assume the feature will just show up sometime in the future? I.e., does 'Acceptance' imply that it will be implemented?

G

It's somewhat more vague than that.  "Accepted" means that you submitted it well, with a good explanation of what you'd like, and with a nice discussion of why it would be a Good Thing for the developers to implement.  It is now in the queue to be assigned to a specific developer.  It will compete with other good ideas and be studied to see whether there are potential red flags -- conflicts with other features, IP issues, technical limitations -- and whether it can be improved or done a different way than you suggested.  Maybe combined with some other Good Thing.   A developer will then create the appropriate code and submit it for QA.  Assuming that it passes QA (maybe on more than one pass), it will be scheduled for implementation.   

There's no telling what the time frame for any of this may be, because it all depends on how brilliant the idea is, how much work is involved, and how much other work the developers already have on their plates.  It's a good idea to watch for any notes that are posted in your JIRA, and maybe to add relevant observations (or second thoughts) .  If it seems like things are taking forever, you can ask gently about progress, but don't get pushy.  I've had small things go through in weeks, but I have also had things in the queue for long enough that I have forgotten about them.

2 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

It's somewhat more vague than that.  "Accepted" means that you submitted it well, with a good explanation of what you'd like, and with a nice discussion of why it would be a Good Thing for the developers to implement.  It is now in the queue to be assigned to a specific developer.  It will compete with other good ideas and be studied to see whether there are potential red flags -- conflicts with other features, IP issues, technical limitations -- and whether it can be improved or done a different way than you suggested.  Maybe combined with some other Good Thing.   A developer will then create the appropriate code and submit it for QA.  Assuming that it passes QA (maybe on more than one pass), it will be scheduled for implementation.   

There's no telling what the time frame for any of this may be, because it all depends on how brilliant the idea is, how much work is involved, and how much other work the developers already have on their plates.  It's a good idea to watch for any notes that are posted in your JIRA, and maybe to add relevant observations (or second thoughts) .  If it seems like things are taking forever, you can ask gently about progress, but don't get pushy.  I've had small things go through in weeks, but I have also had things in the queue for long enough that I have forgotten about them.

Thanks for the nice explanation. Sounds about right. I can imagine this idea will have pretty low priority ..

G

That would be my guess too.  On the other hand, it may be easy enough that it could be folded in with other items and be done without much fuss.  We really can't peer behind the curtain.  I didn't mean to sound discouraging with my earlier summary.  When you have a good idea, you give it your best shot and see what happens.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1308 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.