Alert for land sales in a specific sim?

Ingrid Ingersoll

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1306 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

15 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Just wondering if there's a way to know when land goes up for sale in a specific sim on the mainland?

Thanks

"just" landsales are done by the resident owners and can happen at any time without notification.

Auctions often change color on the map close before the actual auctions start, seen it few times one or two days before it showed in the list.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 12:00 PM, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Just wondering if there's a way to know when land goes up for sale in a specific sim on the mainland?

Thanks

I wish there was that AND another thing: alert that land was abandoned.

I try to stay awake and alert but I do have to sleep sometimes in RL and do my RL jobs. So I miss the abandoned waterfront on a sim where I own most of the land even though I literally check daily. And it flips to a land baron and I pay a painful price : (

I really don't think the Lindens are consistent with these tickets. It used to be you had to have contiguous land to abandoned land to put in a request for it. Or at least own land in that sim. Now that's all gone. Except sometimes it *is* invoked. 

All those oldbies with all those land scraping scripts and all their 16m plots which many still own -- and they can't make available a product that does this by script to alert you? I can't expect the Lindens to code and add this.

To be sure, there is the purple of the auction. But the purple of the auction comes sometimes years after land was abandoned. And the criteria for how they do that remains opaque.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

To be sure, there is the purple of the auction. But the purple of the auction comes sometimes years after land was abandoned. And the criteria for how they do that remains opaque.

the only indicator that I can see that might influence when a parcel goes to Linden auction is buying activity on the region

on the the last three mainland regions I had my home

on the first, I bought a parcel. Then another person bought a parcel. Then I bought another little parcel to bring up to my tier level. Then another person bought a land. So was 3 new owners in a short time. Linden then put another parcel on the region to auction

on the second region. I bought a parcel.  My neighbour bought 2 micro parcels neighboring our parcels.  I bought a 16m from them. They bought a 16m from me. We straightened the boundary between us. Then another person bought a parcel on the region. Linden then put a parcel to auction

on the third region. I bought 2 abandoned parcels by applying for them. Then another person bought a parcel.  But Linden never put any other parcel to auction

i could be wrong, but it seems to me that Linden auctions are triggered when at least 3 different accounts buy land on a region in some short-ish time frame

• Thanks 1

That's an interesting insight and you may be right about this.

I haven't seen it work that way, but I do believe it could work that way.

Here's what I see:

1. A neighbour abandons land. It sits there. Years and years. I'm not kidding when I say 5 years is not uncommon.

2. No one ever asks to buy it, even now when that is an easier and speedier process. Because it's flat nothing in the middle of nowhere surrounded by some questionable builds.

3. Seeing there is never any attention to this sim, ever, except by griefers, and how the owner of the other half of the sim sold out, and then various other owners abandoned, I decide that if I need to trim my tier in order to get some prim land on another sim, nothing terrible will happen if I let a 512 go roadside. It will not be missed and while roadside, there are so many better places, no one will ask to get it. It's safe, like it's become "protected".

4. Suddenly, within a few days -- I've seen this happen a number of times now -- that land I abandoned turns purple. It's now on the auction. Someone will now buy it, and I will now have some unknown quantity right next to all my rentals.

5. Do the Lindens do this deliberately? Stick it to me when they notice I abandon land? Do they hope to discourage landowners from abandoning by keeping this risk alive for them? Or, to put a charitable spin on it, do they hope that someone will find this land more valuable because being next to my land, which has been there for 15 years relatively unchanged, will be like "protected"? I have sometimes seen land sellers write copy about how this desirable property is next to "protected" SL Public Land Preserve. Of course it isn't protected. But own it long enough, people see it that way. 

6. Do I then bid for my own land back, competing with other casual land barons who just go along and bid on everything to keep prices high? Do I bid perhaps up to $5/m and let it go, hoping that someone who pays that much for it will not put junk on it? That assumption can be very wrong.

7. So having been jabbed like that a few times, I look around, and I go back and buy my own abandoned land back because I may get skewered. Some time goes by, I then see the Lindens put to auction that piece that literally lay in the sun for more than 5 years. Is this conscious?

There is so little we know for sure.

The moral of the story is: never assume you can create some tier-free buffers for yourself by abandoning land around the edges of your main property. 

Edited by Prokofy Neva

1 hour ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

I guess no one has a script for this right? I could see this being used by land barons. 

I don't think it can be an actual script, it would need to be a bot. Even if the script were in the region with the for sale parcel, the "PF_FOR_SALE" flag (in llGetParcelFlags()) doesn't appear to work -- I tested when I saw this thread. I think a script could test whether parcels in the region are now or soon to be up for auction, based on owner and parcel name and description from llGetParcelDetails() but that's probably not of interest.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1306 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.