RTX 2060 video card - SL compatible?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 513 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For anyone who has this video card, is Second Life working successfully for you?

[I get that it's probably overkill, and I get that SL will almost certainly never have ray tracing, I just want to know if it works -- I saw one or two random reports of crashing though the users in the end wasn't sure if it were the RTX video card or not causing it.]

If anyone wants to suggest another current high-end NVIDIA card, I'm all ears. Price isn't that much a problem, BUT it must be absolutely silent (I have tinnitus and fan noise makes my ears buzz more.) I an ordering a new custom-built computer that I want to last me for at least 3 years. 

Literally any graphics card you buy from nvidia that's better than a 550 is compatible with second life, except maybe some weird quadro server-cards that you can't buy individually.

Right now, the 3000 series just came out, but good luck getting one as they get sold out pretty much instantly. 3080 runs for about $700 USD. I would recommend getting one of those.

I also recommend getting a hybrid/water-cooled card if silence is an issue. Usually they still have a fan, but you can buy a silent one and use it for the radiator if you're doing the watercooling setup yourself.

The ROG STRIX version of nvidia's cards have a feature such that they basically don't run the fans if the card is below 50 degrees, because they have absolutely massive heatsync structures on them.

Also you can probably set up SL with _some_ raytracing using opengl injection.

Just don't get ripped off when you buy a card - check the standard prices and extensively google "buy RTX 30<whatever number>" , as some vendors will crank up the prices for the sake of it in hopes someone will just buy without thinking.

• Like 2

Some people have issues with them in computers that have integrated graphics. Disabling the integrated graphics shouldn't be a big deal, I can't imagine needing them with a 2060. In my experience any nVidia card made since 2007 can run SL. 

With the 3070 scheduled to drop next month, the deal on a 2060 would have to be really sweet for me to go for it today. 

• Like 2

I have the RTX 2060 Super and it works pretty well in SL using both Firestorm and the official viewer, though I did have to do a little tweaking in preferences to get it looking the way I wanted. One thing I have noticed is that some apps (not SL, Slack, Amazon games) don't seem to like the graphics acceleration on that card along with Windows 10. The apps look pixelated sometimes. Some you can turn that off, others you can't. 

Otherwise I'm in love with card and so love the liquid cool vs. the loud fan. Mine is in an Alienware Aurora R10 with an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, RoxanaSaphire said:

Hi ya.. I also have RTX 2060 and since some time my GPU is very much at or close to 100% usage. I am sure it was not like this before.

I run all at Ultra with max settings, but anyway it was not like this before.

Someone has an idea what could be the reason?

The new viewers have performance improvement code. The performance bottleneck has moved from your CPU to your GPU.

It's not a bad thing - It means that SL runs so fast on your CPU that it delivers data to your GPU faster than it can process it.

If you are worried about your GPU working too hard, you can cap limit the framerate in Firestorm by going to Avatar -> Preferences -> Graphics -> Rendering and Checking 'Limit Framerate' - Set this to around 60fps.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RoxanaSaphire said:

Hi ya.. I also have RTX 2060 and since some time my GPU is very much at or close to 100% usage. I am sure it was not like this before.

I run all at Ultra with max settings, but anyway it was not like this before.

Someone has an idea what could be the reason?

GPUs are intended to work at 100%, so it's nothing to worry about unless your computer is always very hot or shutting itself down due to overheating.

And like Ragu mentioned, the recently released performance improvements might've enabled your GPU to work better than before.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jackson Redstar said:

I usualy run with the frame limit set at 34fps

any reason in particular you picked 34 fps? 

I am getting a 3070 TI soon, and depending on what it can do, I play to run at 30 or 60 FPS.  30 FPS is fine, but if I shoot video and want to replay it in slow motion, shooting at 60 FPS would be better.  

52 minutes ago, sandi Mexicola said:

I am getting a 3070 TI soon, and depending on what it can do, I play to run at 30 or 60 FPS.  30 FPS is fine, but if I shoot video and want to replay it in slow motion, shooting at 60 FPS would be better.  

I have had a 3070 - since they came out. The FPS is OF COURSE going to differ greatly depending on the sim.  I just came from a lovely place that was 11fps :D.  I get over 125fps on both of my sims.   So no matter HOW good the card is it will be dependent on the region and the builds within that region

And to the person that resurrected this old thread. My sim mate has a 2060. Got it a bit before I got my new computer. He is a creator and makes mesh etc and has been happy with it so far as I know.  

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sandi Mexicola said:

the type of video I do I dont need 60FPS, and I record with h.265 which needs more encoder power to record. Im sure though a 3070 ti will do just fine recording 60fps

• Thanks 1

Thak you all for you anwers. Im happy that you said that it would be normal beeing around 100% GPU usage.

Im not an Expert of Hardware :P

So the other parameters are okay for you? (Screenshot from crowded place with ultra settings, all details on, included ambient occluison

87095f45a0512c00bd2c522f6d715ec6.png

Edited by RoxanaSaphire
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, RoxanaSaphire said:

Thak you all for you anwers. Im happy that you said that it would be normal beeing around 100% GPU usage.

Im not an Expert of Hardware :P

So the other parameters are okay for you? (Screenshot from crowded place with ultra settings, all details on, included ambient occluison

87095f45a0512c00bd2c522f6d715ec6.png

Looks more than good, the card is chilling at 60 degrees and it won't even start slowing itself down until it hits 88 degrees. 🙂

You can find this out either by going to Nvidia's (the GPU maker) official page and scrolling through the technical specifications, or just by googling "rtx 2060 max temperature".

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say that my issue with the 100% GPU-usage was solved after the latest NVIDEA update.

So i was kind of right this issue was unusual. Now my GPU ist only sometimes when reezing about 100%, but after mostly on 30% level in max ultra settings.

I have another question about Windows 10 and i dont know hot to fix it. My main harddisk for the system has 100 GB (i dont know why they put such a small HD into a very strong Laptop) The other HD has 1.000 GB. The problem ist that the main HD is mostly full just with needed system data. What ic an i do about that? There is nothing more i could delete. Is it possible to "give" the main HD a bit space from the second HD??

Edited by RoxanaSaphire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 513 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.