Ban lines

JolieBell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1310 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This thread is about security in Bellisseria:

It is very long, and I do not think you need to read all, the first and last page maybe?

It also cover the rules other security than the one Linden Lab's has to follow, should you want to use your own.

I previously asked in another thread, if the Moles could place the security panel by the front door so all can see it when they start to use a Linden Home. Linden Lab will not do it.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, JolieBell said:

I have a house boat. I need to know how to put ban lines up please. ty

You shouldn't be able to but if the access tab of about land allows you to restrict access to more than banning individual people there is a problem with the region settings you should flag up

2 hours ago, PermaRuthed said:

You can add every avatar created since the beginning to time to the ban list in the Land access tab but unfortunately you can't fit all 1 million names in there because the limit is only 300.

For the rest, they could put up welcome lines! Just not above 15m above ground/water, or not above 4m if on all sides, since that could be considered a privacy wall, even if it says what it says.

Welcome Lines.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

I wonder if that former neighbor who was banning Governor Linden still has it set to that.

I do.   There is bug related to the Parcel Privacy setting -- it doesn't work correctly unless at least one person is on the ban list -- Governor Linden is a good choice:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-37601

On 9/18/2020 at 5:52 PM, AlettaMondragon said:

Welcome Lines.png

Ah... the joys of mainland...

I've long felt banlines should be required to be visible to anyone who is able to go inside them, but people who are blocked by them should have the option to make them invisible.

If they made that flip in design - a LOT of banlines would vanish.

ps:

You actually can write a script that will make actual global banlines of everyone in SL... but I won't post the details. I suspect if someone writes it, we'll see a new addition to the covenant.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I do.   There is bug related to the Parcel Privacy setting -- it doesn't work correctly unless at least one person is on the ban list -- Governor Linden is a good choice:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-37601

That's like how, back in the old days before they had as many options as they now do for reporting issues - it was very common practice to just file an 'Abuse Report' against Governor Linden. It was basically how you filed a support ticket for a glitch...

On 9/18/2020 at 1:50 AM, Marianne Little said:

I previously asked in another thread, if the Moles could place the security panel by the front door so all can see it when they start to use a Linden Home. Linden Lab will not do it.

For those who missed it, I believe it was Abnor who answered that. They won't put the panel out because only about a quarter of residents use security, and it adds unnecessary lag to leave the unused panel in the house by default.

Edited by Eirynne Sieyes
more info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

15 hours ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

For those who missed it, I believe it was Abnor who answered that. They won't put the panel out because only about a quarter of residents use security, and it adds unnecessary lag to leave the unused panel in the house by default.

Yep. I'm one of that quarter. I see no point in a security orb on my linden home.

I DO tend to keep one in the skybox on mainland - where I set it to police ONLY the inside of the box.

- and again don't bother with one at ground.

I think it's best to discourage their use - so making it something you need to dig through your stuff to find and then use is best. If there was a way to make all orbs in Bellisseria cost 10x their current land impact - I'd be for it. Even if to do it it also applied to mainland. I'd be willing to suffer that cost for the one in my mainland skybox if it made that improvement to the grid as a whole.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

15 hours ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

The bit I emphasized doesn't really make sense to me.  If the panel was defaulted to off when the build was rezzed, the scripts wouldn't be doing anything.  It wouldn't even need to be listening for anything and it would only have to awaken when touched and enabled by the user.  So I cannot see how it should have to cause any lag at all or does this hark back to the problem of any sleeping script taking up simulator time?  If the number of parcels x number of panels would cause a lag problem, that is concerning.

On 9/22/2020 at 6:22 AM, Pussycat Catnap said:

ps:

You actually can write a script that will make actual global banlines of everyone in SL... but I won't post the details. I suspect if someone writes it, we'll see a new addition to the covenant.

I wrote something close to this for the security system which I use on my Mainland parcels.  It doesn't ban all people, so it is slightly different there, but with a one line change to a notecard it could.  Apart from scratching an itch, mine really allows me to have a distributed parcel ban system with the potential for more than 300 names which uses ban lines to avoid needing to use TP Home or Eject.  It did occur to me at the time when LL removed the general ban line feature for Bellisseria that this was a workaround but presumably this is a case of where the spirit of the policy is more important than the technicality of how it is implemented.  I would fully expect that even now LL would return any objects on Bellisseria that did this as soon as they get AR'd because it breaks the spirit of removing the feature.

2 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I would fully expect that even now LL would return any objects on Bellisseria that did this as soon as they get AR'd because it breaks the spirit of removing the feature.

Hopefully so yeah.

Banlines are a major scourge of mainland, and it's a major part of the value of Bellisseria that it doesn't generally have them.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1310 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.