Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I hope has been noted, I never 'shill' for Catwa on this forum while remaining a regular poster and helping out where I can with avatar customisation advice for any brands that I have familiarity w

I just watched a video of Catwas new head(s). Intresting for me, since Catwa has added more rigging to the face, so we have more flexibility in editing. This is brand new, I have never seen it before.

There is no BoM-only head because it's not needed. The head is a single layer with HD 'patches' on the ears, mouth, and eye mask location (think of the eye mask like a sleep mask, covering the eyes an

Posted Images

5 hours ago, RitaCallisto said:

The issue i've been having is with the positioning of the Iris and materials layer for the eye. Clicking around, off and on with different things, I was only ever able to get the materials layer to move, as well as it's sizing.

This is the part of the HUD you need to focus on:

761814808c7ac4fafb93fdf31cef15e5.png

The icon on the left represents the Iris (the coloured texture layer of the eye) and the icon on the right represents the Sclera (the transparent materials overlay of the eye), as per these images of the actual meshes:

ae1e4a1bf4dfbf21a82f36f8d2be494a.jpg

To move/resize the eye texture you need to check the box on the left, and to move/resize the materials overlay you need to check the box on the right. Video here to show you how. (It may look as if I'm moving the materials when I have the iris checked, but that's because I'm wearing BoM eyes that have an additional reflection on the texture. You can see the iris texture moving down.)

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I demoed the new heads.

Good first: Very responsive to sliders. Really impressed with the head overall. Preferred the Soft head over the other one, which surprised me. 

Not so Good: Those teeth :( they look like veneers. So prominent. Dislike enormously.

Might consider adding to my head collections if there's a way to correct the appearance of the dental work lol. I tried all the options, playing with the materials, etc and nope. 

I've never seen teeth sold separately. Is that a thing creators make?

EDIT: Just noticed @Skell Daggeraddressed this and gave an option. 

 

Edited by Elora Lunasea
added info
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Elora Lunasea said:

So, I demoed the new heads.

Good first: Very responsive to sliders. Really impressed with the head overall. Preferred the Soft head over the other one, which surprised me. 

Not so Good: Those teeth :( they look like veneers. So prominent. Dislike enormously.

Might consider adding to my head collections if there's a way to correct the appearance of the dental work lol. I tried all the options, playing with the materials, etc and nope. 

I've never seen teeth sold separately. Is that a thing creators make?

EDIT: Just noticed @Skell Daggeraddressed this and gave an option. 

 

The teeth were the initial NO for me too and regardless of which type I used from the hud, they still looked too fake.  I'd definitely have to use another as he suggested.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2020 at 7:03 AM, Skell Dagger said:

OK, on to Jennifer's question, although I do have to mention first of all that...

...is probably not the best way to choose a mesh head! Thank you for the kind words, but a mesh head should always be chosen because it feels right for you, not because of the CSR support ;)

Customer support is a big factor in my decisions. I think I get your point as to not making it the primary criteria. But, it can often be the deciding factor in a close decision.

While your participation in a number of threads here are obviously for your personal enjoyment, I suspect many of us are appreciative of your taking time to do your CSR thing. Thanks.

Black Dragon - Has anyone played with the new head in BD?

I suspect BD will NOT be able to work directly with most of the 'new' slider controls. But, I suspect the base SL controls will influence them. Looks like demo time.

I imagine I could mix BD's Poser and the Catwa HUD to get the images with the subtle facial expressions one wants.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had time to look at the heads, I took a demo of both. I also read a tutorial by Skell.

So... I landed on no buy. Many of the new and shiny is things I don't need. It would be different if I started to take closeups of my face and post on Flickr 5-7 days a week.

I am not a fan of the animations... or the default shape. I could change it a lot, but I still did not like it enough to buy it. Maybe a future head.

I guess many will find the head too intimidating, but only time will tell. Many people buy everything new, and good for them. I am more reluctant.

Link to post
Share on other sites

These heads took me by surprise. Did not want to like them - because I was already Genus and LeL comfort-zoned (two destinations that took me long enough to reach as it was) - but instead fell in love with them. Fell. In. Love.

I guess the bottom line is whether a person feels the time involved for a new learning curve and the $ investment is of value to them for what amounts to a pixel hobby. 

Still don't understand the animations hud (and probably wont ever use it anyway - have always found facial animations in general to be a bit cringeworthy - just show me where the off button is and I'm happy). 

After messing around with and being totally enraptured by the extra sliders, then using the share option to send the shape to a friend standing nearby, I suddenly understood why these heads are a bit more pricey (L$5910 or $26.00 USD) - aside from the fact that the HUD seems much more fluid and responsive.

Also love that there's only one item to put on - the head. No teeth/eyes/jaw etc to hunt down in a folder and then attach - its a no fuss, all-in-one thing.

It does seem nigh on impossible for me to tell the difference between MajerSoft and MajerEdged though.

Only thing Id say is that it would be lovely to be able to control the actual shape of chins themselves (the pointy witches hat bit) - and the sharply angular jawline (down the sides) to help balance out the hard-boiled-egg, Paul-the-Alien head shape that seems increasingly prevalent in SL. 

The first creator to give us the editing power to do something about those will no doubt amount to god-status.

Those two little niggles aside, I love these heads so hard. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lavalois said:

1085310446_ProfileSquarenewcatwa.thumb.png.7baecabbd45f0aa22c9d36a884f20b06.png

This is my new look with the Catwa HDPRO MajerEdged.

I found the Catwa Face Piercing Margeaux to work reasonably well with this head.

@Skell DaggerDo you know if Catwa plans to release a similar piercing set for the HDPRO heads?

They should be item called; "CATWA HDPRO Attachments", wear that and it should let you unpack then should be various items you can attach including earrings, tongue piercing, lip piercing etc. I found that in my folder for my Catwa Majer Soft.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrsSeren said:

They should be item called; "CATWA HDPRO Attachments", wear that and it should let you unpack then should be various items you can attach including earrings, tongue piercing, lip piercing etc. I found that in my folder for my Catwa Majer Soft.

Thos are not the piercings I was talking about. The Catwa Facial piercings are a set that include nose piercings, dermal piercings, lip piercings and eyebrow piercings for a number of the regular Catwa Bento heads.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, lavalois said:

@Skell DaggerDo you know if Catwa plans to release a similar piercing set for the HDPRO heads?

We've been asked several times in group, and it's on Catwa's list of things to do. Next on the list, though, will be a male head.

If you have Discord, join the Catwa server (link can be found on the Links/Manual tab of the Style HUD) and keep an eye on the news channels. We've recently added a channel for accessories, so as well as potential posts in there from creators we also post admin finds when we come across them. So if we spot anything, we'll post it there.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

@Skell DaggerI didn't want to make an entirely new thread for this, as I'm not sure if it's been asked. The HD head appears to have some sort of built in facelight, and I really don't like it. (It bounces off walls in dark settings). Can this be turned off? I can't find this anywhere. :/

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Amorenna said:

The HD head appears to have some sort of built in facelight, and I really don't like it. (It bounces off walls in dark settings). Can this be turned off? I can't find this anywhere.

Yes, it's nice and simple to turn off, and you have several ways to do it :)

Add your Style HUD, go into the tint tab (pipette icon), select the facelight icon, and either click the word FULL BRIGHT so that it doesn't have a pale grey background, or move the GLOW slider all the way to the left, or just click CLEAR SELECTED. Quick video here demonstrating use of the face light: https://i.gyazo.com/6adfc2003785719711c3cbb41005d0ec.mp4

For some background: the built-in facelight was added for a couple of reasons. First, you need some kind of local lighting in order to see materials on the head (as well, of course, as having Advanced Lighting enabled in your viewer), and secondly so that you wouldn't need to use up an additional attachment slot if you did want some kind of lighting. That's also why the head is all-in-one, with no extra stuff that needs to be added.

As you can see from the video, you can change the colour of the facelight, as well as its subtlety, so if you do want a very soft light you can move that GLOW slider around until you find a lighting intensity that you like. And the tinting options are great for photography if you're into that, as well as for giving a more subtle hue of light for general use, rather than a stark white.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

Yes, it's nice and simple to turn off, and you have several ways to do it :)

Add your Style HUD, go into the tint tab (pipette icon), select the facelight icon, and either click the word FULL BRIGHT so that it doesn't have a pale grey background, or move the GLOW slider all the way to the left, or just click CLEAR SELECTED. Quick video here demonstrating use of the face light: https://i.gyazo.com/6adfc2003785719711c3cbb41005d0ec.mp4

For some background: the built-in facelight was added for a couple of reasons. First, you need some kind of local lighting in order to see materials on the head (as well, of course, as having Advanced Lighting enabled in your viewer), and secondly so that you wouldn't need to use up an additional attachment slot if you did want some kind of lighting. That's also why the head is all-in-one, with no extra stuff that needs to be added.

As you can see from the video, you can change the colour of the facelight, as well as its subtlety, so if you do want a very soft light you can move that GLOW slider around until you find a lighting intensity that you like. And the tinting options are great for photography if you're into that, as well as for giving a more subtle hue of light for general use, rather than a stark white.

Thank you so much Skell! :)

The light is great for photo taking but I'm so happy it can be adjusted for in-world. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...