Workflow/Build Optimizations

GManB

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1314 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am using an external editor for editing my scripts. When I save a file in the external editor it updates the inworld script nicely (or pops it up in the inworld editor if there is a compile error). But, I am working with two object, call them Main Board (MD) and HUD. Each has one script and the MB has the HUD object in its Contents.

If I make changes to both scripts here is what I have to do for a test iteration.

1. Save both scripts in the external editor
  2. Detach the HUD
  3. Rez the HUD on the Ground and Edit it
  4. Delete script from HUD
  5. Drag new version of the HUD script to the HUD
  6. Take the HUD
  7. Delete old HUD object from my inventory (to keep me more or less sane)
  8. Edit MB
  9. Delete script from MB Contents
  10. Delete old HUD object from MB Contents
  11. Drag new version of the MB script to the MB Contents
  12. Drag the new version of the HUD object to the MB Contents
  13. When MB initializes do a test, which requires
    1. selecting a button on the MB
    2. waiting for the HUD to rez
    3. Touching the HUD
    4. Answering 'Yes' to the HUD asking for permission to attach
    5. waiting for the HUD to iniitialize

Whew! Makes me tired just writing this process.

Any ideas on some optimizations on the workflow? I am using Sublime Text.

Thanks,

G

26 minutes ago, GManB said:
  • Save both scripts in the external editor
  • Detach the HUD
  • Edit MB
  • Delete script from MB Contents

If the scripts you're editing already exist in-world and the script in them have just been recompiled... Why do you then replace the scripts with itself?

The process of editing an object rezzed by another object is unavoidably laborious.

1. Rez MB
  2. Wear HUD
  3. Open their scripts externally
  4. Save your edits
  5. Detach HUD
  6. Replace the HUD in MB
  7. Test.
Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

5 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

If the scripts you're editing already exist in-world and the script in them have just been recompiled... Why do you then replace the scripts with itself?

Wulfie,

Your answer touches another discussion I am having in here about asset UUIDs. Are scripts the same as textures, sounds, and notecards? I.e, all uses of them are by reference not copy? If I have a script in my inventory and in the Contents of an object and I edit the script in my inventory, save and compile it, does the script in the Contents change? I have tested this and it does NOT seem to be the case. The version of the script in the Contents of an object does not change if I change the version in my inventory.

Thanks,

G

16 minutes ago, GManB said:

Wulfie,

Your answer touches another discussion I am having in here about asset UUIDs. Are scripts the same as textures, sounds, and notecards? I.e, all uses of them are by reference not copy? If I have a script in my inventory and in the Contents of an object and I edit the script in my inventory, save and compile it, does the script in the Contents change? I have tested this and it does NOT seem to be the case. The version of the script in the Contents of an object does not change if I change the version in my inventory.

Thanks,

G

When you pull a script from your inventory into an object, editing the script in your inventory does not change the script in the object.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1314 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.