Paranoid or not?

AlineSusanne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1264 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all ! Question to other merchants. Can someone buy TO many [different] demos?  For example, i got 2 customers, one bought a total of 57 demos of all different items and 1 full product in the last year and another 42 different demos and never ever a full item.. Maybe its me , but it gives me a weird feeling...Is this me being paranoid or not ? So question is  , how do other merchantssee this/ think about it?!

And no my demos arent broken in anyway so people cant just use them, they got an auto destroy script and a rigged and linked demo box in/on them i tested on differents alts

@AlineSusanne Yes I think you're being paranoid. Some people are careful with spending in sl and like to look at as many options before buying something. Whenever I discover a store I like, I tend to grab a lot of their demos and keep note of stuff to buy later. So if people are buying your demos, take it as a compliment that your items are catching their attention.

as a customer I will get a couple of demo from a shop

if I like the quality (mesh fit and texture work) then I will get a whole bunch.  Then I will go thru them all. And I might buy some or none

i got some hair earlier this week from a hair stylist I haven't been to before. Liked the 2 demo I got. Then I got about 8 demo altogether.  Bought 2.  Then went back the next day. Got another 6 demo then bought 1

my marketplace purchase list has about this ratio.  For every about 6 demo I get then I buy about 1 on average overall

i am pretty ruthless in deleting demo from my inventory. So I can often go back and get the same demo again, as I can't remember what it looked like

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mysteriousdots said:

i tell you what happends. timed demos get ripped of because its a freebie as long as you stay on lands that don't allow scripts to work. and if scripts don't work then they can have infinite demo time basically turning a paid object in to a freebie.

With a box floating around over their head?  Sexy!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, mysteriousdots said:

i tell you what happends. timed demos get ripped of because its a freebie as long as you stay on lands that don't allow scripts to work. and if scripts don't work then they can have infinite demo time basically turning a paid object in to a freebie.

Thats why the moment i figured that out, i added a rigged demo box to items, floating above head..

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2020 at 5:29 PM, AlineSusanne said:

Hi all ! Question to other merchants. Can someone buy TO many [different] demos?  For example, i got 2 customers, one bought a total of 57 demos of all different items and 1 full product in the last year and another 42 different demos and never ever a full item.. Maybe its me , but it gives me a weird feeling...Is this me being paranoid or not ? So question is  , how do other merchantssee this/ think about it?!

Probably go though about that many demos for each final purchase. 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 11:29 PM, AlineSusanne said:

And no my demos arent broken in anyway so people cant just use them, they got an auto destroy script and a rigged and linked demo box in/on them i tested on differents alts

I had a customer, who picked up the same gift every week for years 😂, so you encounter funny/weird things ppl do. It is rather harmless someone picks up so many demos, although a little odd. Just see it as a customer service.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Ultimo Constantineau said:

The worst is when they have timed demos at packed events. Get stripped naked and have to wait for your clothes to rerez.

Why would you even attempt to try demos at the event when it's so laggy?  That's just crazy talk.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

Why would you even attempt to try demos at the event when it's so laggy?  That's just crazy talk.

I mean if it took you like 30 tries to get there do you really want to have to come back at another time? Its kind of a pick your poison thing lol. In my defense I didn't know it was a timed demo til I afk'd to get a coffee and came back..... 

Edited by Ultimo Constantineau
  • Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 4:22 PM, Kesslan Saramago said:

I find timed demos a very strange thing personally. It doesn't actually do anything to protect the creator.

It is not about protecting the creator as much as giving the customer a chance to "try it before you buy it". Just like in RL, you want to try on clothes to be sure they fit, same in SL. I prefer people try a demo before they purchase so that they are sure they want the item. Better for them, better for me. But I know what you mean about the timed demo thing.. although I personally don't mind it at all.  :)

Edited by Tess Falworth

On 10/29/2020 at 5:19 PM, Tess Falworth said:

It is not about protecting the creator as much as giving the customer a chance to "try it before you buy it". Just like in RL, you want to try on clothes to be sure they fit, same in SL. I prefer people try a demo before they purchase so that they are sure they want the item. Better for them, better for me. But I know what you mean about the timed demo thing.. although I personally don't mind it at all.  :)

Yeah but I'm not talking about demos in general. Demos make sense. Timed demos do not, nor do demos of things that are normally resizable in the full version,  but then lack the ability to be resized (even if it's just via a script) in the demo. Especially when scripted resizers are easily found for free all over the place, exceedingly simple to implement and can still let you set the base item to no mod. Creators seem to some how think this will protect their work from being stolen, but the reality is, it doesn't actually have the slightest impact on that what so ever. All it does is make it harder on the legitimate customers.

• Thanks 1

TBH just offer them refund guarantee

Most of them don't ever come for refunds to begin with, I think over the course of one year I have on average two refund requests. So that's like maybe $500-600L

That's Maybe $2-3 USD, I would rather just pay it off than clogging my catalog with demos

I do the same personally, if it's something $50L and it kinda sucks I don't bother asking for a refund

Edited by iamyourneighbour

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1264 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.