Misc cloud sandbox issues

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1285 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

First, thanks to whomever turned on "Object entry" for Cloud Sandbox 1-4. Now I can test my NPCs over there.

Notes:

• Mostly, things work about as they do on the main grid.
  • My NPCs pretty much work in the cloud sandboxes.
  • The viewer pathfinding debug tools can't download the navmesh. BUG-229354 filed in JIRA.
  • llGetStaticPath returns status 3 on cross-region paths, instead of reporting a path. Not sure about this yet; above bug makes debug difficult.
  • Keyframe animation sometimes overshoots visually. With a light load in the sandbox, sometimes keyframe animation overshoots and then comes back. I've seen that on the main grid, but only in very heavily loaded sims. The overshoot is visual only; scripts see correct positions.

escalatorsoffend.thumb.png.bf2cb97a7fb8cd196d7e585ff228c91e.png

Keyframe animation overshoot. The escalator works by moving the steps with endless keyframe animation, using KFM_LOOP. The scripts are idle while the escalator runs, and KFM does this all by itself. Here, they've gone beyond their normal stopping point, on all four escalators at the same time. It's like the viewer didn't get the message that tells them to stop soon enough. No packet loss. I see this on extremely overloaded mainland sims at times, but in the cloud sim, four escalators and 3 NPCs are enough to trigger it. That's less than I have at my home base in Vallone. But I may have exhausted some resource by rezzing large numbers of NPCs and then deleting them. Trying to reproduce in the Linden viewer; now working perfectly both there and in Firestorm.

Sometimes my NPCs run through an obstacle, then snap back. They use keyframe animation; same issue. Sometimes all the NPCs suddenly move fast, as if the viewer is catching up to the simulator.

Anyway, test your keyframe animated stuff in the cloud sandboxes. Something may not be quite right. Not sure yet.

The really good test for this would be to copy Janet's Viking sim, Folkvang, into the cloud. That place has more keyframe animation in one sim than anywhere else in SL.

Edited by animats
  • Thanks 1

Found the problem. One of my NPCs was having a problem which caused it to send large numbers of error messages to llOwnerSay. When you get about 5000 messages queued up in local chat, Firestorm starts to choke. Around 10,000, Firestorm slows down so much you get logged out. Message storms stalling the viewer were producing the overshoot as the viewer had to discard incoming messages.

On 9/15/2020 at 3:37 PM, animats said:

Found the problem. One of my NPCs was having a problem which caused it to send large numbers of error messages to llOwnerSay. When you get about 5000 messages queued up in local chat, Firestorm starts to choke. Around 10,000, Firestorm slows down so much you get logged out. Message storms stalling the viewer were producing the overshoot as the viewer had to discard incoming messages.

I think this could be a problem to look into. There are probably things the viewer could handle on the main grid because the servers were slow enough to not flood the client. But cloud seems a lot faster, like it could flood a client and cause it to choke and stall.

1 hour ago, Flea Yatsenko said:

I think this could be a problem to look into. There are probably things the viewer could handle on the main grid because the servers were slow enough to not flood the client. But cloud seems a lot faster, like it could flood a client and cause it to choke and stall.

Filed a Firestorm JIRA.

It's not the message rate that's the problem, it's the total number of messages. If you have something that writes a lot of messages to LLOwnerSay, even if the scrolling window can keep up and you don't hit the throttle limit at the server end, the viewer will gradually slow down and eventually time out and log you out. You have to type "clrchat" once in a while to clear the chat window. See JIRA for technical details.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1285 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.