kinect for SL

SShewolf Jun

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3913 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I heard rumors that LL is working on this for gesture based controls, which is cool, but I think is not the best practice for SL. If 1 thinks of Kinect as replacing animations or controls, then a gesture based system might seem viable. Me, I think this is the complete opposite of what is so great about the kinect. IMHO, it should be developed for streaming motion for such things as music concert, or a play, and dancing in a club. Creating a system for people to use in their everyday SL lives is not the way to go. It will flop.

• 1 month later...

((This is a three part suggestion...Part one, Get Kinect.  Part Two, Get SL on the Big Screen TV. Part 3, go 3D))

Here is an interesting  video from an earlier post on Kinect in Jan 2011

Getting plugged in with kinect is when SL hits the big screen TV....

This is a needed feature to complement all the users who attend music events that dance to the music.

Consider this:

NO KINECT - Presently, one attends a LIVE music (which btw, is an awesome experience listening to someone play live and interacting with those in attendance...it really does make for an immersive live experience, unlike any 'streaming' performance from a sat TV or cable)  Everyone in the room, of course since this is SL, may interact with anyone else...ok ok

But....all the dancing moves are done by an AO...and yes some nice AO, but not really dancing.

WITH KINETIC - First, Kinect technology is expecting the user to be in a limited space...but for dancing that IS JUST FINE.  with Kinect.  Don't need to move around, just dance.

Of course, using specific gestures, one could then control actions such as walking, etc. without a lot of body movement, just mostly hand gestures. 

• 1 month later...

Medhue Simoni wrote:

I heard rumors that LL is working on this for gesture based controls, which is cool, but I think is not the best practice for SL. If 1 thinks of Kinect as replacing animations or controls, then a gesture based system might seem viable. Me, I think this is the complete opposite of what is so great about the kinect. IMHO, it should be developed for streaming motion for such things as music concert, or a play, and dancing in a club. Creating a system for people to use in their everyday SL lives is not the way to go. It will flop.

well that's why the whole thing would be an optional setting or plugin, if you don't  want it you don't have to turn it on

ideally what I'd love to see is a way to use the Kinect to map your facial expressions and puppet your arm and hand movements while voice chatting, would make the interaction so much more personal I think

• 2 months later...

Kinect would be awesome in secondlife, linden labs need to pull their finger out. Ive seen the fancy kinect SL controller.basic movement and gesture triggers but what we want is full body motion control and facial expression. That would be a winner. comment today and put on the pressure for linden labs to redevelop SL for todays technology!!

• 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3913 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.