Marianne Little

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1292 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I am not sure why somebody decided one million views was enough, so there had to be a new thread. I see that most people still post in the thread that has over one million views anyway, so what was the point?

Different people wanted their name to always be listed on a given thread - so they had to start a new one so it would show as "their" thread...

• Like 4

"How does your avatar look today?" - started off without any 'instructions' past the title itself; most people figured it was just about posting pictures wherein their current getup is displayed. Which is pretty much what the thread has been used for by most attendants. 

"The Vanity Thread" - basically the same. Except photos were mandatory. Some people have used it a bit like a blog, listing all the things they're wearing. Others just use it for double-posting, or in lieu of the "How does your avatar look today?" thread.

"How does your avatar look now?" - was created in response to the rampant re-posting and commentary of the "How does your avatar look today?" thread, explicitly asking for people not to do that there and let people just post, browse and 'fave' pictures without the inflammatory debates and pseudo-political self-proclaimed 'art critics' who'd attack anything perceived in slight of the populist vogue of the correctness crowd.

Of course, people are either too idiotic to realise they're on a different thread than usual, or blatantly don't care about those who felt unwelcome in the 'usual' thread due to the drama - or simply feel themselves 'above the rules' - and so a fair few people have simply quit sharing their pictures on the forums at all. Which reminds me, did I ever officially congratulate the 'inclusiveness crowd' for making parts of the forums completely inhospitable to certain members of the community? 

Whilst I'm not aware of any 'actual' convention wherein posting the same picture in both (and sometimes more) threads is considered spamming properly, it's frequently remarked on in private conversations with various forumites, and whether it's a majority or a minority, there certainly isn't appreciated by everyone.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

News Flash!

It's 2020. Women don't care whether you "approve" or not. We don't give a flying you-know-what about how you "read" what we wear, or about your 1950s era attitudes to women who show "too much skin," because we are not posting our pictures for you. We are posting them for ourselves. And because they are our pictures, of our bodies, we are the ones who get to decide what is "too much." Our bodies, and our pictures of our bodies, do not, even notionally or hypothetically, belong to you: you get no say. We don't dress for you, we don't undress for you. You don't matter in this particular context.

And your comparison of women who do appear scantily clothed with meat hanging in a butcher's shop tells me all I need to know about your view of women.

You use the word "merchandise" with reference to women's bodies at least twice in your comments above. Seriously? We are not merchandise.

The fact that a woman decides to appear in a "sexy" photo, or is scantily clothed, does not mean she is "displaying the goods" for the potential consumption of people like you, because, guess what? We don't view our bodies, or ourselves, as "goods" on the marketplace. They belong to us. They will always belong to us.

Obviously, this is LL's platform: they get to decide what is "appropriate" or not. And their decisions are, I'm pretty sure, not based on the "ethics" of showing "too much skin," but rather corporate and PR decisions of how too much nudity might impact upon the perception of the platform.

But that's LL. Not you.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

As others have said, the original reason for each of the threads is not really relevant anymore.  As with any thread in the forums, the OP cannot truly dictate what happens in the thread.  If LL decides that posts veer too far off topic, they'll either delete posts or close the thread.  

I'm also one of those that consider posting the exact same picture to multiple threads to be spamming and figure the person is just doing it to up their rep points, but can't be bothered with taking a second picture or modifying the first one in some way.  I will only LIKE at one of them.

I do get frustrated with people starting a new picture thread just because they want their own name in the limelight or think that is the only way to get the attention they are craving or they just want to try to set their own rules on posting - as if that ever works anyway.  Some days it seems like the forum is being overtaken with picture threads.

In any case, I tend to ignore the NOW one, but that is more on principle than anything else - I don't like why/how it got started.  By the same token, given the folks that typically post in the NOW thread compared to the TODAY thread, when I start taking photos again I'll now feel comfortable posting in the TODAY thread again - something I pretty much stopped doing quite a while ago for various reasons.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

News Flash!

It's 2020. Women don't care whether you "approve" or not. We don't give a flying you-know-what about how you "read" what we wear, or about your 1950s era attitudes to women who show "too much skin," because we are not posting our pictures for you. We are posting them for ourselves. And because they are our pictures, of our bodies, we are the ones who get to decide what is "too much." Our bodies, and our pictures of our bodies, do not, even notionally or hypothetically, belong to you: you get no say. We don't dress for you, we don't undress for you. You don't matter in this particular context.

And your comparison of women who do appear scantily clothed with meat hanging in a butcher's shop tells me all I need to know about your view of women.

You use the word "merchandise" with reference to women's bodies at least twice in your comments above. Seriously? We are not merchandise.

The fact that a woman decides to appear in a "sexy" photo, or is scantily clothed, does not mean she is "displaying the goods" for the potential consumption of people like you, because, guess what? We don't view our bodies, or ourselves, as "goods" on the marketplace. They belong to us. They will always belong to us.

Obviously, this is LL's platform: they get to decide what is "appropriate" or not. And their decisions are, I'm pretty sure, not based on the "ethics" of showing "too much skin," but rather corporate and PR decisions of how too much nudity might impact upon the perception of the platform.

But that's LL. Not you.

And the winner of the 2020 Best Forum Post of the Year goes to...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, manoji Yachvili said:

the words that I've read have brought my thoughts to the sentence that I've write and that I will correct in this way:

"What was written sounds to me dangerously like saying "you deserve to be raped because you wore a skimpy dress"

Sounds that way to myself as well.  Especially in the context of where the words are coming from.

Hey, you wanna have some real fun, say "Happy Juneteenth".  The reaction to that will ALSO tell you a lot about a person.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

But nothing on these forums is allowed to truely be +18 anyway?

I meant the thread with that name, I remember coming across it and assumed it's catered for the more adult orientated pics. Making use of the adult section of the forums is what I'm trying to say rather than post whatever anywhere.

To me, Vanity the focus is on the clothing, and it requires credits.

The Today thread is more casual.

The Right Now thread was made because the Today thread got filled with more conversation that pictures, so no posts without a picture are allowed'

I also never post the same picture twice, variations of the same scene maybe but different pictures for different threads.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, AdminGirl said:

I meant the thread with that name, I remember coming across it and assumed it's catered for the more adult orientated pics. Making use of the adult section of the forums is what I'm trying to say rather than post whatever anywhere.

I know you mean the thread name. But I wanted to point out, that none of the pictures here are "adult" or "18+", because the forum rules wouldn't allow that. And that doesn't change for the adult forum. As with all the other subforums, its more of a topic distribution, like... "talk about your favorite brand of private parts here" (but without using the necessary language of course, because think of the children! 🙃).

The thread itself was doomed to die from the start, as it was made in an unsincere fashion by someone, who probably has no idea about the forum rules.

42 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

I know you mean the thread name. But I wanted to point out, that none of the pictures here are "adult" or "18+", because the forum rules wouldn't allow that. And that doesn't change for the adult forum. As with all the other subforums, its more of a topic distribution, like... "talk about your favorite brand of private parts here" (but without using the necessary language of course, because think of the children! 🙃).

The thread itself was doomed to die from the start, as it was made in an unsincere fashion by someone, who probably has no idea about the forum rules.

Ah I see, thanks - I'm not all over the rules. I have seen b*tts here and there, and tbh it didn't bother me but I always thought they'd fit more in the adult section if the pics are going to be of the saucier flavor. But whatevs, there's always the report function for anyone who wants to use it.

14 hours ago, Talligurl said:

The Right Now thread was made because the Today thread got filled with more conversation that pictures, so no posts without a picture are allowed'

Except that that (the part I bolded) cannot truly be enforced by the OP or anyone besides a Moderator.  Additionally, it also means that in order to comment on a picture, the preference is to quote the picture rather than just tag the person.  IMO, lots of people quoting pictures clutters up the photo threads also.  I personally prefer more 'tagging' than quoting in those threads, or quoting any words posted without quoting the picture itself.  The rebel in me says to go into the thread and comment on pictures via Tags rather than quoting, but I'll restrain myself.

Most of the time, the conversations in the Today thread were directly related to the pictures --- well, except when lots of folks kept going off on the tangent discussion of photography techniques.

In any case, to each their own.  While I might have my preferences, I'm mostly okay with people doing their own thing in the threads and I'll adapt.

• Like 1

Thank you for replies!

I think I have found out what to do, I post in the million views thread, "Today". I only use Ribbet to edit with. It looks okay and you can see it is done stuff with the image, like vignette and exposure adjustment. If ppl want to know what's in the picture they can ask.

To derail it a bit, is Flickr allowing us to post credits? Credits ok, links not allowed? (I am not Pro) I have been more careful about posting credits there since the new rules.

13 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

To derail it a bit, is Flickr allowing us to post credits? Credits ok, links not allowed? (I am not Pro) I have been more careful about posting credits there since the new rules.

I still see links on Flickr images, but not sure whether or not it is a Pro-only thing or not.  I never see full credits - always a link to them - but not sure if that is a Flickr rule or just the way everyone does it.

Someone contacted Flickr support with especial regard to Second Life users linking in their descriptions both to inworld stores and to blogs etc using the free Flickr account option. This was Flickr's reply:

2030345079_FlickrfreeaccountlinkpolicyforSL.png.f18dde4556d3f5912dbb5d1ea84f7cb7.png

Whether they would regard the SL Forum as similar to "a blog that links to a store" (considering that people do sometimes link to stores here) is anyone's guess.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skell Dagger said:

Someone contacted Flickr support with especial regard to Second Life users linking in their descriptions both to inworld stores and to blogs etc using the free Flickr account option. This was Flickr's reply:

2030345079_FlickrfreeaccountlinkpolicyforSL.png.f18dde4556d3f5912dbb5d1ea84f7cb7.png

Whether they would regard the SL Forum as similar to "a blog that links to a store" (considering that people do sometimes link to stores here) is anyone's guess.

I would not link to the forum from Flickr, but if someone click on an image posted here, the image open in Flickr. That should be ok?

As I read this, it is ok to write "Collabor 88, September 2020" in the description, but not link to the event? We can still use words, yes?

12 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

if someone click on an image posted here, the image open in Flickr. That should be ok?

I would say that's okay, yes.

12 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

As I read this, it is ok to write "Collabor 88, September 2020" in the description, but not link to the event? We can still use words, yes?

Flickr's official guidelines state "Only Flickr Pro members are permitted to link directly to a shopping cart, checkout page, or pricing pages on other sites." So yes, words are fine; direct links are not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Marianne LittleMost of my photos that are posted on this forum, link to Flickr.

In my Flickr, I almost always notate what I'm wearing but, never put links to those creators. I'm not a blogger - I just think people like to know what you're wearing and where to get it.

I've never had any problems on the Flickr end doing it this way; however, I am Pro so don't know if that has anything to do with anything.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2020 at 2:58 AM, Marianne Little said:

What is good etiquette? Posting in 2 or 3 threads, or stick to one? Today, Now and Vanity.

I heard once that Vanity was for more staged, edited, photoshopped images and Today was for simpler images. If that is the "rule", nobody cares. I know it is hopeless to have rules, but I heard that was the idea.

I am not sure why somebody decided one million views was enough, so there had to be a new thread. I see that most people still post in the thread that has over one million views anyway, so what was the point?

I do not want to swarm threads with identical pictures, but maybe I should not overthink it and just do it, like others.

Moderators would close the long thread if it was too "heavy" to open, or whatever reason some had to open a new thread.

In long threads, it will always be some discussions besides posting images. It is no way to keep it out even if a new thread is started.

I think it is fun to have other "themed" threads, they die out after 1 or 2 weeks of themselves.

Someone a few posts up mentioned that the "other" threads were started just so the originators could see their names. I have no doubt that is true for some, but for me, several months ago when I started a "raw" photo thread it had nothing to do with how I wanted to see my name plastered all over (yawn) but totally to do with how I wanted to post. I was sick and tired of the thread police (and not the actual LL monitors) clucking, tsking and being pains in the general butts if others posted in a such a way that the police didn't think appropriate, never mind the fact that said threads had ZERO guidelines posted other than the subject line of "avatar" and "photos."

I did add rules to that "raw" thread. I think it hung around for a couple of months, and so beat the 1-2 week time frame. :)

Some of us just stopped posting in the photo threads, any photo threads, in the Forum due to the continued nattering and obnoxiousness. If I want to have a stupid, meaningless argument, or be clucked at, I'll post in the General Discussion morass subforum. Posting a photo with a theme that is within the LL guidelines but offends a tender heart? Posting a side discussion about Windlight? And mass clutching of pearls happens? No thanks.

As to the other point in your OP, I would also agree that posting the exact same photo in all the forum threads would be akin to spamming, especially if it was happening all the time by the same person. Heck, I even had twangs of "spam?" if was the same photo I posted on Flickr. (I got over that one.)

I hate Flickr for a lot of reasons, but not as much as I started hating the SL Forum photo threads.

(Since it isn't universal knowledge, GiGi is Seicher Rae's alt, and it is SR with the Flickr account.)

Edited by Gatogateau
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gatogateau said:

Someone a few posts up mentioned that the "other" threads were started just so the originators could see their names. I have no doubt that is true for some, but for me, several months ago when I started a "raw" photo thread it had nothing to do with how I wanted to see my name plastered all over (yawn) but totally to do with how I wanted to post. I was sick and tired of the thread police (and not the actual LL monitors) clucking, tsking and being pains in the general butts if others posted in a such a way that the police didn't think appropriate, never mind the fact that said threads had ZERO guidelines posted other than the subject line of "avatar" and "photos."

I did add rules to that "raw" thread. I think it hung around for a couple of months, and so beat the 1-2 week time frame.

But your Raw thread actually has a theme and real purpose for the subject matter. I enjoyed seeing how people work their magic in the before and after shots.

The Now thread, not so much.  It was created to drive traffic away from the long-standing established Today thread.  Now the Now thread has become the thread where people spam for points.  Whatever drama happened in the Today thread had long since blown over. Hardly anybody remembers who started it in the first place.  Just like the natural order of things, life goes on and people will continue to post their pictures. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I also liked the "What are you doing today" thread in GD for posting pictures of what I was doing in SL from time to time.  Often my pictures that include me are of me visiting someplace or doing something, and the avatar is not always the main focus or necessarily a major focal point.  I looked for that thread the other day, and it's 4 pages back and would probably be considered a necro at this point (and it had often strayed to descriptions of what people were doing in real life).  I don't remember what the thread creator's intent was when starting it, but I always thought of it as a way to highlight different places and things that could be done in SL (for the 'I'm bored" crowd).

2 hours ago, Gatogateau said:

and it is SR with the Flickr account

and now I'm disappointed - no GiGi Flickr of beautiful kitty cats...  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think I have posted about 3 pictures of my avi in the original? Today thread in the early days because they were wtf happened to me pictures where SL messed my avi  up, to give everyone a laugh.  After that things started to get way too serious and professional for me, so these days I don't even look at picture threads anymore and generally just mark the Avatar forums as read and carry on.  

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1292 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.