Text and tabletop D&D sandbox campaign starting up in SL looking for players

Looking for 1-3 more D&D 5E players to join a sandbox campaign in my homebrew world using a virtual tabletop within Second Life. We have 2 players so far and this is the very beginning of the campaign. All genders and orientations welcome. Furries are welcome (we have one ratfolk so far) and the setting supports just about any anthropomorphic animal you'd want to play. I'm very open to homebrewing any custom races people have in mind (within reason).

All levels of D&D experience welcome! I've played since the 80's but our 2 players so far are very new to the game. Age 18 minimum (please see the Content Note below). You can probably guess about how old I am (playing since the 80's).

We'll have miniatures, terrain, dice and only use text-based chat (no voice). Occasional "life-size" scenes will be possible in SL. For example, the party has access to a sailing ship, and a full-size ship will be in the gaming area to walk around and role-play in.

This campaign is open-ended, allowing the players to forge their own destiny. There is no pre-defined storyline or adventure path here. We'll be building up the story collectively. The players have the opportunity to affect change in the world but there will be NPC factions and entities working towards their own goals as well. The players may align with these factions or oppose them.

Content Note: This will be played in an adult sim within SL and the campaign may have adult content at times. Miniature characters, monsters and supporting artwork may display nudity.

If you're interested, we have a session 0 planned for today at 8:00 PM PDT in-world to work on characters / backstories and discuss the campaign plan / expectations and answer questions. Please PM me either here or IM me in-world: Devyn Grimm. If you can't make today's session 0 please still get in touch and we'll sync up when you're available.

Thanks for looking!

Edit: Additional notes on scheduling: Schedule will be a bit irregular due to how the current members' schedules are so we will coordinate on each session when the next one will be. The definite limit for scheduling will be times I'm available (Pacific time) : Tues through Sat 11:00 PM - 3:00 AM, Sunday / Monday 1:00 PM - 3:00 AM.

Snapshot_885.png

Edited by Devyn Grimm
Added scheduling details
  • Like 7
6 hours ago, Remnant Ashbourne said:

All of that sounds awesome. I'd recommend dropping by the Tabletop Hall to put that on the notice board.

Saving Throw's coming up in a week so there'll be a lot of folks and potential players wandering through the Hall.

Oh it's an honor to have you visiting the thread!  Without your wonderful tabletop system I'd probably not be doing this. Thanks for the reminder about the notice board in the hall I will definitely try that! And thanks for the heads up on Saving Throw - will have to check that out.

1 hour ago, Lewis Luminos said:

Darn, as an old-school tabletop roleplayer (also started in the 80s) I'd love to do this. But 8pm SLT is 4am in my timezone. WAAY past my bedtime. Good luck though, I hope it's a success.

Lewis it would be great to have you in the group! The time of the game sessions will vary quite a bit, the 8 PM thing last night was only for a coordinating meeting, making characters etc. The actual first play session we've scheduled is 2 PM SLT on Sept 27th. We may be able to shift that slightly earlier too if that works better for you. Please let me  know on here or in world if still interested and I can get all the information to you! 

To those who replied here recently - thank you for your posts and I'm really glad to hear there is so much interest in this!  The group is currently full, but I will make note of who was interested here in case any slots open up later on. Also I'll talk with the group about having spectators during some sessions. If they are comfortable with that it would be ok with me. I'll update here once we have that decided.

• Like 3

This is so cool!  I don't think it will fit my schedule, though, especially the 27th.

For new folks, well, in a way you're already experienced with a roleplaying game, as in some ways that's what Second Life is -- c'mon, how many of you are really for real hot super-models, vampires, or bipedal bunny rabbits?  Roleplaying games are just the age-old game kids have played for eons:  "Let's pretend!"  The only difference is that now that we are adults we've got more formalized methods of determining what happens than just shouting "nuh-uh" versus "uh-huh" at each other.  Version 5e of Dungeons & Dragons is one of the easier game systems out there.

It's too bad Covid has nixed so much of in-person play.  Glad to see an SL option.

• Like 1
On 9/13/2020 at 9:43 PM, Remnant Ashbourne said:

All of that sounds awesome. I'd recommend dropping by the Tabletop Hall to put that on the notice board.

Saving Throw's coming up in a week so there'll be a lot of folks and potential players wandering through the Hall.

Are these things within SL?

2 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

Are these things within SL?

Both of these are within SL at the Tabletop Hall. Not much planned for during the week, but there are going to be some more games come the weekend. I am debating running some tutorial classes on how to play 5E within SL if there's any interest, but my personal schedule is pretty packed at the moment.

https://secondlife.com/destination/studiodire-tabletop-hall?sourceid=dgw1

• Like 2