Illegal orb?

Schatzi Timmerman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1200 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Thank you for the FS tips.  Didn't realize view distance needed to be set high.

Also, when this happened, I was flying real fast in my UFO attachment, down streets, and veered off onto someone's parcel by a pixel or two.  WHAMO!  Suddenly home, not certain of the region I was in, let alone the parcel, but had a general sense of a ten to twenty region radius of where I had been.  My only clue was the name of the object, without a name of the owner.  If it had TP'd to parcel boundary or given a longer warning than zero seconds, I might not have been so thorough trying to find it.  It was a sense that I had, well, sort of a civic duty to my fellow Bellisarians to protect them from booby traps.

And of course now I'll get a screamfest from the usual folks upset by my bringing real world ethics and analogies to SL, oh me oh my *smirk*

Edited by Rabid Cheetah
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

Thank you for the FS tips.  Didn't realize view distance needed to be set high.

Also, when this happened, I was flying real fast in my UFO attachment, down streets, and veered off onto someone's parcel by a pixel or two.  WHAMO!  Suddenly home, not certain of the region I was in, let alone the parcel, but had a general sense of a ten to twenty region radius of where I had been.  My only clue was the name of the object, without a name of the owner.  If it had TP'd to parcel boundary or given a longer warning than zero seconds, I might not have been so thorough trying to find it.  It was a sense that I had, well, sort of a civic duty to my fellow Bellisarians to protect them from booby traps.

And of course now I'll get a screamfest from the usual folks upset by my bringing real world ethics and analogies to SL, oh me oh my *smirk*

That's how I lost my no-copy gacha golf cart.  Got tp'd home minus my vehicle. Those cretins with their illegal orbs need to be hung up by their thumbs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 9/15/2020 at 10:39 AM, Rabid Cheetah said:

look for transparent objects due to people getting sneaky and hiding their orbs in walls or under their home.  One even hid it under the surface patch.

whats sneakier is when the orb tells you that you (Rabid Cheetah) have been teleported home by an object named Rabid Cheetah

😺

Edited by Mollymews
  • Haha 3

@AlettaMondragon , I don't disagree with you that residents need to take responsibility and that ignorance isn't an excuse, but my AR experience gladly differs from yours.

The few ARs in Belli that I've submitted, maybe a total of 3 or 4, including one involving an orb that sent you home just for walking the street next to the property were quickly removed.  Far less dramatic, such as a pier extending into Linden water, were also deal with quickly - within a day or two or three. I have found the Lindens in Belli incredibly responsive.  Just wanted to give credit where credit is due.

Edited by Eirynne Sieyes
grammar
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

@AlettaMondragon , I don't disagree with you that residents need to take responsibility and that ignorance isn't an excuse, but my AR experience gladly differs from yours.

The few ARs in Belli that I've submitted, maybe a total of 3 or 4, including one involving an orb that sent you home just for walking the street next to the property were quickly removed.  Far less dramatic, such as a pier extending into Linden water, were also deal with quickly - within a day or two or three. I have found the Lindens in Belli incredibly responsive.  Just wanted to give credit where credit is due.

Oh no, as I tried to refer to it myself as well (probably hard to determine that from the overall sarcastic post, LOL) I had good experiences with removing orbs on Belli. The only one that took a while was one particular place where the owner felt the need to keep 3 orbs at once, 2 set to 10 seconds, 1 to 5. She got the 5sec removed really quickly, then it was the 2 10sec orbs that remained for several weeks (those were still effective at the 400-2000m range, teleporting, and banning people for 10000 hours), but at the end, it wasn't just the orbs missing from her parcel, but it wasn't her parcel anymore. Hopefully she got one at a spot where air traffic is really rare.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

an orb that sent you home just for walking the street next to the property

Didn't know that was possible. I got several messages from an orb yesterday, while being on the street and assumed that the orb would simply detect me, but couldn't do anything, since I didn't step onto the property itself. Maybe I just hadn't stood there long enough (timer was set to 25 seconds).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Syo Emerald said:

Didn't know that was possible. I got several messages from an orb yesterday, while being on the street and assumed that the orb would simply detect me, but couldn't do anything, since I didn't step onto the property itself. Maybe I just hadn't stood there long enough (timer was set to 25 seconds).

this is correct.  We can't be removed from a parcel that is not the same parcel as the script is on

when these scripts do get removed by Governance Linden is because scripts are not supposed to spam chat at people not on the owner's parcel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Mollymews said:

this is correct.  We can't be removed from a parcel that is not the same parcel as the script is on

when these scripts do get removed by Governance Linden is because scripts are not supposed to spam chat at people not on the owner's parcel

It was shocking, and I had to go back and do a double take to make sure I had not entered their parcel. I have no clue how it did what it did, but the orb tossed me from outside the parcel. A Linden took care of that one almost right away.

Oh! And the orb was inside their parcel. I know because I located it. Maybe they had a second with just the root prim in the parcel?

Edited by Eirynne Sieyes
grammar & more info

37 minutes ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

It was shocking, and I had to go back and do a double take to make sure I had not entered their parcel. I have no clue how it did what it did, but the orb tossed me from outside the parcel. A Linden took care of that one almost right away.

Oh! And the orb was inside their parcel. I know because I located it. Maybe they had a second with just the root prim in the parcel?

It wouldn't really be possible, since the owner of the script that can eject or teleport home others must be the owner of the parcel where it happens. So even if Dr Evil moved to a cozy wooden house on Bellisseria to spread chaos and terror on Linden Homes, and managed to hang an orb out of his parcel, linked to a broomstick, at best he would get script error messages (or it would silently fail), and it would be ineffective on you or anyone on the protected parcel.

I can imagine that some "security devices" are also able to rez pushers to get rid of people, instead of properly ejecting them. For that, though, still if you weren't on their parcel, and it rezzed a pusher on their parcel, it couldn't make it out to the protected land, due to no object entry. There are some weird things that can happen sometimes, by shady exploits of SL bugs and gaps in how the systems work, so I place my bet on this method, unless you got the "You have been ejected from this parcel" message when it happened.

On 9/17/2020 at 8:05 AM, Eirynne Sieyes said:

the avatar has to be on/over the parcel for llEjectFromLand or llTeleportAgentHome to work at the moment the script function is executed

You are right tho, in that there can be a time lag between where we see our avatar on our screen  and where the server understands our avatar/agent to be

menu: Develop \ Network \ Velocity Interpolate Objects 

when Disabled this shows where our avatar actually is according to the server.  When Enabled then our computer (client side) shows on our screen where our avatar would be had there not been a server/network time lag

when we are travelling fast then (velocity interpolation enabled) we can appear on our screen to not be on/over the parcel even tho the server understands that we are

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
15 minutes ago, Radhika Lionheart said:

Are security orbs illegal in Bellisseria, or was it just the way this orb was set up?

I have a security orb--bought it after somebody jumped me in my own home. I've carefully set the perimeter to match my parcel boundary, and everybody gets a 20 second warning. 

You should take a look at this thread but it sounds OK from what info you have given. You can also get a free Linden-approved orb in the content pack for your home (click on the same mailbox/whatever where you change house styles).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Radhika Lionheart said:

Are security orbs illegal in Bellisseria, or was it just the way this orb was set up?

I have a security orb--bought it after somebody jumped me in my own home. I've carefully set the perimeter to match my parcel boundary, and everybody gets a 20 second warning. 

You're observing the Covenant and allowing a little more leeway than the official orb so you're fine.

• Like 1

Please, please Please; if any uses sec orbs also make sure to set auto return to something but 0.

When one gets a Bellisseria house; the auto return is set to 0, meaning it will never auto return the objects that enter the parcel.

If by some mistake; one can not get out of the region where the sec orb is installed, before the time is up, the object that it is being in use will remain there until the owner of the region logs in and founds out.

So imagine sailing a boat, a bad region crossing, entering the parcel, seeing the notice about the sec orb, but not having time to exit before being expelled.

If auto return is left at 0 by default, the boat will remain inside the parcel until;the owner of it will login in and found out.

If you set it to 1, it will be auto returned by the system after 1 min.

So, if you use a sec orb in Bellisseria; make sure you set it to a minimum of 15 sec, dont make it eject anybody home and make sure to set auto return to any but the default 0.

word tab, about land tab, parcel details tab, objects tab in firestorm viewer.

PS. If you wish to have privacy, you dont need a sec orb but to set on the parcel details tab; options tab, check the box, avatars on other regions can not see inside your parcel.

That will make any that is trying to peep unable to see any from the outside.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Radhika Lionheart said:

Check the thread that Sylvia linked.   Besides the amount of notice time, there are restrictions about height.  You cannot restrict anyone in the 500-2000m range or something like that.

• Like 1

== Security ==

*Linden Homes do not have the ability to set your parcel access to group access only (which creates ban lines for everyone else). You can still eject and ban people by name.
  *Security orbs are only allowed if they comply with the following restrictions:
     -Minimum of 15 seconds warning time (no shorter)
     -Eject from parcel only (not teleport them home)
     -Effective range cannot include the airspace between 400m and 2000m (to allow for people to fly overhead but not in the airspace where skyboxes are allowed)

If you are uncertain, there is a free security system provided in the Linden Homes Content Pack. It does not have the ability to be set in a manner that does not comply with these restrictions. Click on the house controller outside of your parcel (the one used for changing house models) to get the most current content pack sent to you.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1200 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.