Notes on cloud HTTP out

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1322 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Didn't want to put this in Oz's pinned topic, but that's what it's relevant to.

Outbound HTTP from Cloud Sandbox 4 working fine. Data from the server that logs region crossings for my test bikes. (Only ones that say REVIEW or DEMO do this; if you buy one, it doesn't have the logging.)

+---------------------+---------+-----------------+------------------+------------------------------------+------------+-----------------------------------------------+----------+
| timestamp           | shard   | region_name     | owner_name       | object_name                        | eventtype  | msg                                           | auxval   |
+---------------------+---------+-----------------+------------------+------------------------------------+------------+-----------------------------------------------+----------+
| 2020-09-10 11:55:07 | Testing | Cloud Sandbox 4 | animats Resident | Smooth Cruiser - V2.7.1 (REVIEW)   | SHUTDOWN   | Distance traveled (km)                        | 0.145052 |
| 2020-09-10 11:54:39 | Testing | Cloud Sandbox 4 | animats Resident | Smooth Cruiser - V2.7.1 (REVIEW)   | SITTER     | on prim #1 :animats Resident distance to seat |  1.37295 |
| 2020-09-10 11:54:39 | Testing | Cloud Sandbox 4 | animats Resident | Smooth Cruiser - V2.7.1 (REVIEW)   | RIDERCOUNT |                                               |        1 |
| 2020-09-10 11:54:39 | Testing | Cloud Sandbox 4 | animats Resident | Smooth Cruiser - V2.7.1 (REVIEW)   | PERMS      | Got permissions                               |        0 |
| 2020-09-10 11:54:38 | Testing | Cloud Sandbox 4 | animats Resident | Smooth Cruiser - V2.7.1 (REVIEW)   | STARTUP    | animats Resident/animats                      |        0 |

"Shard" is from what the sim is sending in the HTTP header "X-SecondLife-Shard". It's "Testing", the documented value for the beta grid, not some new value for AWS. The main grid uses "Production" there. Everything I look at looks exactly the same. I went over to the nearby Sandbox Pristina, which is not on AWS, and got the same values.

Looking good.

Only Cloud Sandbox 4 has outbound HTTP on right now; Cloud Sandboxes 1, 2, and 3 do not.

I don't look at the source IP address; I authenticate using a MD5 signature computed in LSL and verified by the server. Checking for "this is really coming from SL" by IP address will not, as Oz points out, work very well. All you can find out that way now is that it's on AWS.

Edited by animats
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, animats said:

Outbound HTTP from Cloud Sandbox 4 working fine. Data from the server that logs region crossings for my test bikes. (Only ones that say REVIEW or DEMO do this; if you buy one, it doesn't have the logging.)

Quick testing shows it is working for my stuff as well. And I did do a naughty in one item and use part of the returned URL from llRequestURL

Ohh, and inbound HTTP is working as well... not sure that was already working or not.

I also found that it appears to be active on 1-4. They were returning URLs of the form: http://simhost-07ecfc0bf885aed5b.aditi.secondlife.io and both inbound and outbound was working.

HOLY CLUCK! Maybe it is partly because the region is empty, but I did an animation load to my in-world animation tool. What normally takes maybe 2 seconds per frame to load, loaded 6 frames in under a second! I could cycle through frames at nearly real-time as well.

Edited by Phate Shepherd

1 hour ago, Phate Shepherd said:

I also found that it appears to be active on 1-4. They were returning URLs of the form: http://simhost-07ecfc0bf885aed5b.aditi.secondlife.io and both inbound and outbound was working.

Yes, Cloud Sandbox 1,2,3,4 all working. I get to see some cloud region crossings logged for the first time.

So I ran my usual region crossing tests in a 4-sim sandbox, going round and round, and sometimes going straight for the sim corner on a bike which has various protections against region crossing problems.

One crossing, not near a corner, took seven seconds. One near a corner took more than 30 and failed. The avatar got Left Behind. This is the same behavior seen on the main grid. Interesting that it can be reproduced in an empty sandbox on AWS.

18 minutes ago, animats said:

One crossing, not near a corner, took seven seconds. One near a corner took more than 30 and failed. The avatar got Left Behind. This is the same behavior seen on the main grid. Interesting that it can be reproduced in an empty sandbox on AWS.

I did several circuits around your region corner prim. Never got left behind, but in one instance, lost vehicle control. I suspect that your region crossing protection code likely reinstates controls when crossing into a new region to combat that.

17 minutes ago, Phate Shepherd said:

I did several circuits around your region corner prim. Never got left behind, but in one instance, lost vehicle control. I suspect that your region crossing protection code likely reinstates controls when crossing into a new region to combat that.

Thanks. Yes, that's part of region protection. There's also slowing down for region corners, waiting for avatars to catch up, and restarting animations. I think LL is trying to eliminate the need for all that, based on some recent changes, but has not yet succeeded.

18 hours ago, animats said:

it would be easier if any questions or updates were all in that one thread

in any event, thanks for your testing.

I don't know whether or not this build has all the latest region crossing updates

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1322 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.