I keep seeing the ground as pixalated Rainbows- Solved

Romanadvoratrelundar Ghost

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2764 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I use the Sl viewer and about 4 days ago I started seeing the ground as rainbow pixels 

here is a picture http://s1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd429/gardengnomie/?action=view&current=Picture7-1.png

Why is this happening and how can I get it to stop

PS. I have tested to see if this happens in Dolphin viewer and it does not,

So I think this is only in the Sl viewer

SOLVED 

Clearing the cache made the problem go away

5 answers to this question

Uh-oh.  That looks like my laptop did, the last time I made the mistake of using it to come in world. (I don't try that any more.) It looks very much like an overheating problem.  Colors are starting to get wonky.  You may also see some things start to go black.  If that's what's going on, don't stay in world for long, because you can fry your GPU.  Open up your box and use a can of spray air and a fine brush to clean out all the dust and cat hair, and then invest in a couple of good fans.  Ventilation is very cheap insurance.

• Like 1

Pay attention to what Rolig said.  The picture you posted is showing one of a couple things that could be the problem.  The first is a corrupted driver (or maybe an outdated driver).  The second is a failing graphics card/adapter.  Since this apparently just started happening a few days ago and you made no mention of a major system crash, there is no reason to think it's a driver problem.  That leaves the GPU, itself, is failing.  The problem will not get better (or fix itself) and it's entirely possible that the problem will get worse over time.........until the GPU fails completely.

Clean the inside of your computer as Rolig suggested.  If your computer is a laptop, take it to a computer shop and have them clean it for you (laptops are not something an inexperienced person should be taking apart to clean).  Another case fan is a wise investment...........you can get them for under $25 and they are very easy to install.  If your computer is a laptop, invest in a cooling pad...........you can get good ones for about $35.  Go to Download.com (CNET) and get some hardware monitoring software so you can keep tabs on the temps of critical hardware devices in your computer..........there are many free ones that are quite good.  And think about where your computer tower sits........it's nice to have it out of sight, inside a cabinet but that is a heat trap.  Many computers have fried themselves simply because they were closed up inside a neat cabinet........at least, remove the door if you insist on looks over function.

Hopefully, no huge amount of damage has occurred.  Depending on how much you've used the computer in this condition, everything should be fine once you get it running cooler.  Just be aware that if the problem continues, it will get worse until one day it's over..........the GPU fails.

Cerise is right that a messed up texture in cache can look like that.   I am mostly concerned, however, by your comment that the ground is looking like this, and by the very odd filamentous texture on the right side of the image you posted.  While those could be single borked textures (easy to check by clearing cache), they raise the red flag of overheating for me.  Good luck with whatever steps you take to clear this up.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2764 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.