Jump to content

Listing an item on MP as Maitreya


Recommended Posts

Sorry for the vague title. 

If I make clothing for a body that has freely available devkit and then modify it through trial and error, can I list it on MP that it should fit Maitreya body too, or can that get me into legal trouble? 

Obviously it won't be fitted mesh as I have no devkit to work with and propably will require alpha hide with some shapes. It would be stated on MP listing along with a line to try the demo first. 

Is it a long process? Yes. Is it worth it? I don't know. But everyone knows how it is about getting the devkits. I understand the reasoning of creators of those mesh bodies. 

Thoughts? 

Edited by ayamashi
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, ayamashi said:

Sorry for the vague title. 

If I make clothing for a body that has freely available devkit and then modify it through trial and error, can I list it on MP that it should fit Maitreya body too, or can that get me into legal trouble? 

Obviously it won't be fitted mesh as I have no devkit to work with and propably will require alpha hide with some shapes. It would be stated on MP listing along with a line to try the demo first. 

Is it a long process? Yes. Is it worth it? I don't know. But everyone knows how it is about getting the devkits. I understand the reasoning of creators of those mesh bodies. 

Thoughts? 

While I don't personally see this happening so much any longer, it certainly did when mesh was new.  I think the most IMPORTANT thing is to have a demo. There are TONS of clothes (mostly full perm resellers) that say they fit a certain mesh body and so very much do NOT LOL.   BUT if you offer a demo then it is up to the people looking to buy to TRY said demo (trust me, not all will == who knows why). But IMO that is THEIR issue and not yours.   

 

If you stick to styles that will more easily fit (with some alpha use most likely) like long sleeves, slacks, skirts etc then it is likely that they will fit a lot of folks including brands that are very similar to Lara (like altamura  and eBody for example).    

 

Might be good to have "try the demo" in giant bold letters in your listing on in your store. Again, likely that won't solve all problems but you did TRY and that counts. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ayamashi said:

Sorry for the vague title. 

If I make clothing for a body that has freely available devkit and then modify it through trial and error, can I list it on MP that it should fit Maitreya body too, or can that get me into legal trouble? 

Obviously it won't be fitted mesh as I have no devkit to work with and propably will require alpha hide with some shapes. It would be stated on MP listing along with a line to try the demo first. 

Is it a long process? Yes. Is it worth it? I don't know. But everyone knows how it is about getting the devkits. I understand the reasoning of creators of those mesh bodies. 

Thoughts? 

The way I have seen similar things listed is by saying it is "Maitraya Compatible".  I've also seen "Shown on a Maitreya body" or "The model is using Maitreya body". 

And yes, definitely be sure to provide a demo.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ayamashi said:

Sorry for the vague title. 

If I make clothing for a body that has freely available devkit and then modify it through trial and error, can I list it on MP that it should fit Maitreya body too, or can that get me into legal trouble? 

Obviously it won't be fitted mesh as I have no devkit to work with and propably will require alpha hide with some shapes. It would be stated on MP listing along with a line to try the demo first. 

Is it a long process? Yes. Is it worth it? I don't know. But everyone knows how it is about getting the devkits. I understand the reasoning of creators of those mesh bodies. 

Thoughts? 

I've seen a lot of creators list their Maitreya clothing as "experimental" but many more that don't bother. As long as you offer demos you should be fine. No you wouldn't get into any legal trouble. At worst you might get a complaint from someone who demands a refund because your product is not 100% "perfect".

I wonder if you can get a devkit for the Lucybody though? Lucybody is known to fit Maitreya clothes so if you can rig for that, it should fit the Maitreya body without any issues. (Not for shoes though - Lucybody fits Slink feet, not Maitreya)

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

While I don't personally see this happening so much any longer, it certainly did when mesh was new.  I think the most IMPORTANT thing is to have a demo. There are TONS of clothes (mostly full perm resellers) that say they fit a certain mesh body and so very much do NOT LOL.   BUT if you offer a demo then it is up to the people looking to buy to TRY said demo (trust me, not all will == who knows why). But IMO that is THEIR issue and not yours.   

 

If you stick to styles that will more easily fit (with some alpha use most likely) like long sleeves, slacks, skirts etc then it is likely that they will fit a lot of folks including brands that are very similar to Lara (like altamura  and eBody for example).    

 

Might be good to have "try the demo" in giant bold letters in your listing on in your store. Again, likely that won't solve all problems but you did TRY and that counts. 

I really do not like when people don´t make demos.

But it is a good point about the demo to be in bold letters to catch the eye. Thanks.

15 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The way I have seen similar things listed is by saying it is "Maitraya Compatible".  I've also seen "Shown on a Maitreya body" or "The model is using Maitreya body". 

And yes, definitely be sure to provide a demo.

Thank you.

7 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:

I've seen a lot of creators list their Maitreya clothing as "experimental" but many more that don't bother. As long as you offer demos you should be fine. No you wouldn't get into any legal trouble. At worst you might get a complaint from someone who demands a refund because your product is not 100% "perfect".

I wonder if you can get a devkit for the Lucybody though? Lucybody is known to fit Maitreya clothes so if you can rig for that, it should fit the Maitreya body without any issues. (Not for shoes though - Lucybody fits Slink feet, not Maitreya)

I figured I would ask here first before even starting to try to make it work with Maitreya. I honestly do not want to break any copyright laws.

I will look into the Lucybody. Thank you for suggestion.

Link to post
Share on other sites

you can probably use a demo version of any body to test your clothing if you don't want to buy one. I just test my clothes on my friends who have bodies I don't have.  i do have several different bodies, though i only really wear one of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say NO but its the same issue as "Fitmesh" vs "Fitted Mesh"

One is perfect the other is a lucky dip as it is NOT and never will be Fitted Mesh.

Get the Dev kit!
I have one each for the brands I love and I only make stuff for me at this stage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2020 at 10:23 PM, Chic Aeon said:

While I don't personally see this happening so much any longer, it certainly did when mesh was new.  I think the most IMPORTANT thing is to have a demo. There are TONS of clothes (mostly full perm resellers) that say they fit a certain mesh body and so very much do NOT LOL.   BUT if you offer a demo then it is up to the people looking to buy to TRY said demo (trust me, not all will == who knows why). But IMO that is THEIR issue and not yours.   

 

If you stick to styles that will more easily fit (with some alpha use most likely) like long sleeves, slacks, skirts etc then it is likely that they will fit a lot of folks including brands that are very similar to Lara (like altamura  and eBody for example).    

 

Might be good to have "try the demo" in giant bold letters in your listing on in your store. Again, likely that won't solve all problems but you did TRY and that counts. 

 

 

The question was can she do it.

 

OP: Yes, you can.  You have to use the official logo as far as I know. I think I might understand that you have older mesh, or are using appliers? In that case, you can install an auto hide script that would evoke the correct alpha removal.

 

Edited by Tarina Sewell
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

The question was can she do it.

 

OP: Yes, you can.  You have to use the official logo as far as I know. I think I might understand that you have older mesh, or are using appliers? In that case, you can install an auto hide script that would evoke the correct alpha removal.

 

I was reading "can" as "ethical". 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If I had a question about something that I was concerned could land me in court, the court of public opinion is certainly not where I'd ask it.

I"m pretty sure the "Someone not connected with the brand in the forums said it was OK" defense is considered weak.

Officially:  Yes, you can use the name and even the logo if your item is intended to be used with the Lara body.

That is where our involvement ends. All the advice you got about making sure customers know it's experimental and offering demos, while we cannot require that, it is excellent advice.

As far as everyone knowing about getting kits, well, you don't.  You know hearsay.  But you have never applied for one and you have never contacted me.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2020 at 12:31 AM, Gryphon Ronas said:

If I had a question about something that I was concerned could land me in court, the court of public opinion is certainly not where I'd ask it.

I"m pretty sure the "Someone not connected with the brand in the forums said it was OK" defense is considered weak.

Officially:  Yes, you can use the name and even the logo if your item is intended to be used with the Lara body.

That is where our involvement ends. All the advice you got about making sure customers know it's experimental and offering demos, while we cannot require that, it is excellent advice.

As far as everyone knowing about getting kits, well, you don't.  You know hearsay.  But you have never applied for one and you have never contacted me.

Microphone drop.

Edited by Tarina Sewell
awesome of you to respond!!
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2020 at 12:31 AM, Gryphon Ronas said:

If I had a question about something that I was concerned could land me in court, the court of public opinion is certainly not where I'd ask it.

I"m pretty sure the "Someone not connected with the brand in the forums said it was OK" defense is considered weak.

Officially:  Yes, you can use the name and even the logo if your item is intended to be used with the Lara body.

That is where our involvement ends. All the advice you got about making sure customers know it's experimental and offering demos, while we cannot require that, it is excellent advice.

As far as everyone knowing about getting kits, well, you don't.  You know hearsay.  But you have never applied for one and you have never contacted me.

Thank you, very sincerely, for popping in here for this. We have a few CSRs who post regularly, and who are assiduously and conscientiously answer questions with some authority about the products that they represent, but they are few and far between, with the result that the residents here, who do their best generally to be helpful, are often left making "best guesses." Sometimes we're probably wrong -- although there are some very experienced creators, merchants, and just general residents here -- but sometimes we get it right.

I'm pleased that, to judge from your comments, we mostly got it right on this occasion, even if it would not likely hold up, as you say, in a court of law. But it is interesting (actually, for me, a little surprising) that the OP can apparently reference Maitreya, and even the logo, without the permission of the brand.

I'll confess I am also surprised that the OP did not make, apparently, any attempt to obtain a designer kit.

Out of curiosity, how difficult is it to obtain one of these? The rumour -- and yes, that's all it is -- has always been that Maitreya doesn't give these out very freely. Is this, in fact, true?

And again, thanks for your input! As I say, we try out best here, but the additional knowledge you bring is obviously all to the good.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2020 at 6:31 AM, Gryphon Ronas said:

If I had a question about something that I was concerned could land me in court, the court of public opinion is certainly not where I'd ask it.

I"m pretty sure the "Someone not connected with the brand in the forums said it was OK" defense is considered weak.

Officially:  Yes, you can use the name and even the logo if your item is intended to be used with the Lara body.

That is where our involvement ends. All the advice you got about making sure customers know it's experimental and offering demos, while we cannot require that, it is excellent advice.

As far as everyone knowing about getting kits, well, you don't.  You know hearsay.  But you have never applied for one and you have never contacted me.

It did occur me to contact somebody from the Maitreya brand directly, but I thought they must be busy etc etc. 

I haven't applied for the devkit because everyone I asked in SL told me I need to have a store to be even considered. And that was 8 different people I met in different places. 

Some told me it doesn't even need to be a clothing store necessarily. 

See, that might be hearsay to you, but to people who would like to start using the devkit legally , it seems valid. 

If I understand it right, you give the devkit to people who should have experience with mesh and have a store so the devkit is used as it should be and not being available to anyone who might want to rip it. 

That's OK, I wouldn't want other people using my creations with permission either. 

And as for why I haven't contacted you directly, I had no idea there was another person working with Onyx that deals with this. 

I'll confess that I did make 2 clothing to use on my Maitreya body as part of learning, modelling and texturing it with NO intent on selling it a few months prior to making this thread. That was just practice. It's not perfect as I had no devkit, but that might seem as an excuse. 

Now if I wanted to get real and start making clothes, what do I have to do to get the devkit? 

I really hope you won't take anything here as offensive, as I was just interpretating what was told to me. 

I really like the Maitreya body, but then you read things like it's inpossible to get it and read things which I mentioned above. 

Thanks for replying on this thread. 

Edited by ayamashi
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ayamashi said:

It did occur me to contact somebody from the Maitreya brand directly, but I thought they must be busy etc etc. 

I haven't applied for the devkit because everyone I asked in SL told me I need to have a store to be even considered. And that was 8 different people I met in different places. 

Some told me it doesn't even need to be a clothing store necessarily. 

See, that might be hearsay to you, but to people who would like to start using the devkit legally , it seems valid. 

If I understand it right, you give the devkit to people who should have experience with mesh and have a store so the devkit is used as it should be and not being available to anyone who might want to rip it. 

That's OK, I wouldn't want other people using my creations with permission either. 

And as for why I haven't contacted you directly, I had no idea there was another person working with Onyx that deals with this. 

I'll confess that I did make 2 clothing to use on my Maitreya body as part of learning, modelling and texturing it with NO intent on selling it. That was just practice. It's not perfect as I had no devkit, but that might seem as an excuse. 

Now if I wanted to get real and start making clothes, what do I have to do to get the devkit? 

I really hope you won't take anything here as offensive, as I was just interpretating what was told to me. 

I really like the Maitreya body, but then you read things like it's inpossible to get it and read things which I mentioned above. 

Thanks for replying on this thread. 

NOT official at all of course but from the hundreds of comments here on the forums it really seems like you need to be able to prove you really can create before you can get a Maitreya dev kit. 

So what does that mean?  That means having at least a marketplace store with demos and a good variety of clothing made for mesh. It doesn't need to be MAITREYA, it can be any body you CAN get a dev kit for (a mesh dev kit)   So if you can find a body to work with and learn on and improve your skills, then you would have a better chance of getting a kit.   I do know that you can download all the files for Ruth 2.   I suspect there are other not so popular brands who are willing to let you learn while making clothing for their bodies :D  

 

Since the Maitreya group has no chat or CSRs within the group to answer questions, there may be something at the store  BUT like you said, almost "everybody" says it is VERY VERY VERY difficult to get a kit   I think that must the the correct answer there or we would have heard the other side of the story by now LOL.

 

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2020 at 2:31 PM, Gryphon Ronas said:

But you have never applied for one and you have never contacted me.

5.3 is just bewdiful Gryphon. Not my preferred rig either but oh soooo nice thank you! ❤️
(which I did mention in group chat and to CSR's).

Edited by Maryanne Solo
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If brands want to manage hearsay, would just be a lot simpler if they include more info in their profile or pick, like requirements for getting the dev kit. The less official information they make available, the more room they give to hearsay.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

 Good luck whatever you decide to do.

 

I think I'll make clothes only for the freely available devkit bodies for now and see where that takes me. 

Thank you to everyone who replied! I appreciate it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2020 at 8:43 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Thank you, very sincerely, for popping in here for this. We have a few CSRs who post regularly, and who are assiduously and conscientiously answer questions with some authority about the products that they represent, but they are few and far between,

 

This thread might illustrate the reason that some stay away, though this on isn't extreme by any stretch of the imagination.

I am rather surprised to learn that we have no CSR's and no chat group.  It's actually a rather busy group with an awesome and helpful staff.  There is a group joiner in the store, it's in my profile, and its even in my IM autoresponse.

But one thing is true - The kit is indeed impossible to get if you refuse to contact us or even apply.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

This thread might illustrate the reason that some stay away, though this on isn't extreme by any stretch of the imagination.

I really see very little in this thread that is "hostile" or even poorly informed, to be honest. People have, to the best of their abilities, and in the absence of a more authoritative voice, tried to help someone. That's one of the things we are here for.

17 hours ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

I am rather surprised to learn that we have no CSR's and no chat group.  It's actually a rather busy group with an awesome and helpful staff.  There is a group joiner in the store, it's in my profile, and its even in my IM autoresponse.

I have used the Maitreya group, and made use of the expertise of the CSR's there. The people there were friendly and helpful, and the CSR was wonderful, courteous, and very helpful. I concur entirely: Maitreya has awesome staff, at least in my experience.

17 hours ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

But one thing is true - The kit is indeed impossible to get if you refuse to contact us or even apply.

Agreed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...