"I Know What You Did Last Summer"

Storm Clarence

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1299 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I attended my stepson's wedding, though it was probably the oddest wedding I've every attended.  It was outdoors, limited to 15 people and everyone except the wedding party had to wear masks.  The masks made it very difficult for the officiate's voice to carry.  That, combined with regular outdoor noises, made it extremely hard to hear anything.

I really felt sorry for them that the wedding they had originally planned had to be cancelled.

Otherwise, I've barely gone outside my property since the beginning of March.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

I took some long walks in the woods and listened to the birds, went out for coffee daily and to the grocery store every Monday at 7:00 a.m., and spent a lot of time in SL (and a lot of time doing crossword puzzles and writing poetry.)  High points? ...  Had hail damage to the roof and got a new roof for the $500 insurance deductable, and helped a young friend find a new job.  Kind of a slow summer, but not a bad one on balance. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, So Whimsy said:

Hmm, does this make me the crazy cat lady of the forum?

I usually post on my phone while I have a cat on my head, so I may get an honourable mention.

I've made a lot of crafts from salt dough (I'm not a hoarder but I bake a lot so I've always got plenty of flour and yeast...that was lucky). And also from toilet rolls, because I happened to have enough of those too...I just always buy them in bulk because they won't go off and they'll always be used. And egg boxes. 

Mr Maker has been our friend...

• Like 1

I began painting again, with RL paints and an easel and using Corel Painter for digital paintings too - nature paintings.  And...writing poetry again  :)    Now, if I could just write poems as well as Mary Oliver, who describes her wonderful summer day so well:

The Summer Day

Who made the world?
Who made the swan, and the black bear?
Who made the grasshopper?
This grasshopper, I mean-
the one who has flung herself out of the grass,
the one who is eating sugar out of my hand,
who is moving her jaws back and forth instead of up and down-
who is gazing around with her enormous and complicated eyes.
Now she lifts her pale forearms and thoroughly washes her face.
Now she snaps her wings open, and floats away.
I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

—Mary Oliver

• Like 1

'Anything'? Come on now, the proper term is 'anyone', we mustn't objectif-- Oh. Oh! 

Yeah no. I uh. Ahem. Nothing much happened here. 

2 hours ago, So Whimsy said:

Hmm, does this make me the crazy cat lady of the forum?

Glances between So's forum profile pic and the quoted post.

'Crazy cat lady'? Noo . . . Not at all . . . :ph34r:

• Haha 1

Not specifically in response to @Luna Bliss's last post, but this poem by Jane Kenyon has a similar feel.  Like Mary Oliver, Kenyon finds solice in quiet natural settings and has a uplifting but not mawkish perspective.  I read this poem at my mother's memorial service many years ago:

Let Evening Come

BY JANE KENYON

Let the light of late afternoon

shine through chinks in the barn, moving   

up the bales as the sun moves down.

Let the cricket take up chafing   

as a woman takes up her needles   

and her yarn. Let evening come.

Let dew collect on the hoe abandoned   

in long grass. Let the stars appear

and the moon disclose her silver horn.

Let the fox go back to its sandy den.   

Let the wind die down. Let the shed   

go black inside. Let evening come.

To the bottle in the ditch, to the scoop   

in the oats, to air in the lung   

let evening come.

Let it come, as it will, and don’t   

be afraid. God does not leave us   

comfortless, so let evening come.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

attended my stepson's wedding, though it was probably the oddest wedding I've every attended.  It was outdoors, limited to 15 people and everyone except the wedding party had to wear masks. 

Our best friend's son had to get married the same way.  They'd been planning an enormous, three day wedding with two ceremonies (he's Catholic, she's Hindu), a breakfast, and a reception.

Summer was the same for me as every other month except in temperature as I'm at home on my own almost all the time.  I'm so used to it that it seems strange to me when people relate their horror at being confined.  That doesn't mean that I don't believe them, but it's a little difficult seeing it through their eyes.  I don't know what to tell you, OP, except be happy that you'll get out one day.

• Like 1

Summer barely felt like summer. I kept to myself: worked on college work, danced around in SL having a ball with my friends on here, and improved myself by eating better and taking some time to myself. Oh! I also went back to work recently @ Tim Horton's. 

That's all! I hope everyone had a good summer!

Time for pumpkin spice and everything nice (about Autumn). 

48 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Not specifically in response to @Luna Bliss's last post, but this poem by Jane Kenyon has a similar feel.  Like Mary Oliver, Kenyon finds solice in quiet natural settings and has a uplifting but not mawkish perspective.  I read this poem at my mother's memorial service many years ago:

Let Evening Come

BY JANE KENYON

Nice poem, and thanks for introducing me to a new nature poet.  Checking her out now...

Summer didn't really feel like summer. 

Global warming is a hoax! /s

No seriously, it was 'hot' for barely two weeks. And by hot I mean over 30 degrees celsius here. 

I really love swimming, heck even got a pool 4 years back. Got a pool heater this year and it had to run almost every day for at least 10 hours for the water to be tolerable. I swim 5 km a day. 

For the past summers the temperatures were higher during summer and I miss that. 

That warm evenings where you can sit outside, hear the crickets and enjoy the night sky. 

The night temperatures for 2nd half of August were around 10 degrees. 

You wouldn't believe how fast heat evaporates from pool even with a cover. 

I'm going to miss swimming for the next 9 months. I even had a daily routine and it's difficult the break it so suddenly. 

Being topsy turvy...winter has just ended here.  My winter was spent heading out to work (essential worker so no quarantine for me), lining up at the supermarket (since I went out to work, I was the designated out of the bubble shopping person) and going insane as only an introvert can do when they get no alone time due to housemates having to quarantine, so no work/no school!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1299 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.