Chewy, meaty & philosophical... Here?

Gatogateau

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

19 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Love is, still pulling your sons finger when he asks, even though you know you hate doing it..

Damn his father for passing that on to the younger generation..

You have taught me something valuable today, oh wise one --- love does not always feel (or smell) good...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:
31 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

The word 'ego' is such a 'loaded' word, subject to different interpretations!  Perhaps I shouldn't use it...

Not sure if that's a dig at me, because it's a rather simple word, but I meant the word "Affirmation".

Not a dig at all   :)

But it's really not a simple word -- ego.  Psychologists, those involved in Spirituality, those involved in New-Age pursuits, and those in the general public can mean different things with this word.

When I used it, earlier when we were discussing gratitude, I meant:

My ego, my personal needs or wants, can get in the way of experiencing life in a better way. For example, it was important to let go of thinking I must have more certainty in life, or thinking I must have perfect health, before I could feel okay about life and experience gratitude and love.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

I have heard there are three types of love.  Agape (which Scylla touches upon on the first page), which is a divine love, a spiritual love.  Then there is philia, which is our brotherly and sisterly love for one another; and then there is eros, which is romantic love.  These can be easily looked up on the internet if anyone is interested.

I see love in its different manifestations as the principle while the love languages as techniques whereby we give and receive love.

But, I do believe love is not a feeling it is an action.  Love exists through our caring.  

To me is seems that love is a feeling that motivates an action which then can in turn further intensify the feeling. Reciprocal

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

To me is seems that love is a feeling that motivates an action which then can in turn further intensify the feeling. Reciprocal

Yes, it can be a feeling.  However, I really do think we have a universal brotherly and sisterly love which can include family and friends wherein we do nice or kind things for one another even when the feeling isn't there or isn't in our conscious mind.  I know I didn't always feel I loved my Mother for example in that I wasn't feeling the feeling all of the time but I still loved her and cared for her all her life.  The feeling isn't always present.  However, the caring can be.  I have a great family but I can do kind things for them even when I am feeling sad.  Not always when feeling sad, but sometimes.  It's complicated, isn't it?  

30 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

even when I am feeling sad

Yes sometimes love does feel very sad...

The key for me is in the title of the OP's book -- 'The art and practice of loving, living a heartfelt YES'.   BTW the book is free to read in PDF form, under creative commons license, available here:

http://www.heartfeltyes.com/wp-content/uploads/loving.pdf

I've found it very helpful...the quotes and exercises....a focus on love always increases love for me:

the art and practice of loving.jpg

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

A sense of connection...of belonging...is such an important characteristic of love...the art of Mary Oliver certainly evokes this for me:

Wild Geese by Mary Oliver
You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
for a hundred miles through the desert repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.

Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
Meanwhile the world goes on.
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
are moving across the landscapes,
over the prairies and the deep trees,
the mountains and the rivers.
Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
are heading home again.

Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting --
over and over announcing your place
in the family of things.

• Like 1

Starting from the premise that the Universe is infinite, if one loves anything that is finite they will eventually have to let it go. That's painful. It's not that it's wrong to love something that's finite, the problem is that you've limited something which cannot be limited and it will always die.

The baby Ceka posted, who loves the big boob filled with milk, is truly loving. But if this was a 40 year old person depicted with the same love, we'd have a problem...lol.

Edited by Luna Bliss

25 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Starting from the premise that the Universe is infinite, if one loves anything that is finite they will eventually have to let it go. That's painful. It's not that it's wrong to love something that's finite, the problem is that you've limited something which cannot be limited and it will always die.

The baby Ceka posted, who loves the big boob filled with milk, is truly loving. But if this was a 40 year old person depicted with the same love, we'd have a problem...lol.

A person with 50 loves has 50 woes.

I can't remember where I read that, but it stuck with me.. I didn't even understand it at first, but once I did, it made a lot of sense

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:
29 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I can't remember where I read that, but it stuck with me.. I didn't even understand it at first, but once I did, it made a lot of sense

It really does!

/me looks in and notices that this has become a music thread. :)  

/me nods and looks at the Forumites behaving according to the sociological norms one comes to expect :)

@Ceka Cianci it is really wrong of me, but it is the way my brain works, I read your "50 loves/50 woes" and immediately heard "99 problems but a b**** ain't one"

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

And 50 ways to leave your lover?  Just keeping with the music thread it's turned into.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gatogateau said:

/me looks in and notices that this has become a music thread. :)  

/me nods and looks at the Forumites behaving according to the sociological norms one comes to expect :)

@Ceka Cianci it is really wrong of me, but it is the way my brain works, I read your "50 loves/50 woes" and immediately heard "99 problems but a b**** ain't one"

Actually it was from when I was doing a lot of research and investing a lot of time trying to understand Eastern Buddhism.. I'm not a Buddhist or was ever a Buddhist, but found it very interesting and insightful and useful..

I actually quoted it wrong and short of the whole thing after looking it up a little while ago.. I'm surprised I forgot who said it,since it was from The Buddha himself..hehehe

The full quote goes like this..

‘He who loves 50 people has 50 woes; he who loves no one has no woes.’

Rather than type it all out  and fill the page with my version of what it means, I'll put the link in here that explains it much better than I could..

I still do a lot of reading on it.. Ever since I had seen that movie, Little Buddha when I was younger, I have been hooked on reading as much about it as I could.

The story and meaning behind the quote was really very interesting and insightful for me.

“He who loves 50 people has 50 woes; he who loves no one has no woes.”

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

The story and meaning behind the quote was really very interesting and insightful for me.

“He who loves 50 people has 50 woes; he who loves no one has no woes.”

I've studied a lot of Eastern philosophy and have found it very interesting and useful. I think Eastern philosophy is a lot more pragmatic than Western, but that's another philosophical OP for another day (and one that would get about zero comments, I think. :)  ). I'm so glad you included the link, I LOVE Fake Buddha Quotes!  Yes, the quote goes to metta, loving kindness, which is what the quote in the OP back seven pages was about... or was it? :) I am still hearing the "99 problems" song though. :) 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.