You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 116 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

horror isn't really my thing

I see. Well, I'm not so much into horror more into eerie situations or atmosphere. I understand what you tried to express with the picture.

5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

the claustrophobia of everyday life -- cubicles, 9-5 wage slavery, work stations

The atmosphere, the light, yes that works. But "9-5 wage slavery, works station"? I see a women sitting at an empty desk, hands calmly in her lap and not working or beeing under pressure at all. What I miss are for example staples of papers and files left and right of her and even on the floor. Or everything else that tells the viewer that this women has a terrible job. As is the pictures just let me think, poor thing because she has to wear a mask. But apart from that she appears rather bored to me than like a work slave.

Edited by Doc Carling
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2021 at 11:11 PM, Jordan Whitt said:

In time even the sharpest thorns will become soft.

~ Bridgett Devoue

Snapshot_013aabb.jpg

Great shot! The colours are perfect.

I haven't bought that dress yet . . . and now it's too late, cuz everyone else is already looking so perfect in it.

/me sighs

I talked to a photographer in SL who also takes photos in RL.  She said a photo (with the exception of a headshot) should tell a story. The story is up to the viewer, but the photo should lead the viewer to fill in the story.

This is "Baja Belinda".   I was walking one of the several Baja sims, and saw the girl (Belinda ) setting there. I stopped and set up the photo. IMed her to tell I was talking the photo and would gladly share a full perm with her. I took the photo and she poofed. 

What is the story?   That is for you, the viewer, to imagine.

image.thumb.png.a8b87f955ee88871181d938420da365f.png

• Like 5

Wanted to add to this post as I don't just try to take a picture, I try to tell a story with it whether it be by facial expressions, decor or other things in the photo. Whether a portrait, or a shot with an immaculate background, they all tell a story.

This one is titled;
"Without You" 

005.png

• Like 5

On 2/2/2021 at 3:53 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Great shot! The colours are perfect.

I haven't bought that dress yet . . . and now it's too late, cuz everyone else is already looking so perfect in it.

/me sighs

😄 Nah... go ahead and buy it. You can show those amateurs up... (teasing)

Is an amazing dress. And those posting in it are looking good. But you would too.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Skrunda?

Great sim -- and yes, it reminded me of Chernobyl too.

The sim calls Everwinter.  I don't know Skundra? Could you post a link?

everwinter.jpg

Edited by Doc Carling
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Doc Carling said:

I don't know Skundra? Could you post a link?

Ah, Everwinter! An oldie but a goodie (with horrible lag).

Skrunda is a newish sim -- much more "realistic" than Everwinter, because modeled after a real Latvian town.The SLURL is in this post, as well as brief description. Definitely worth checking out.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Roles.

By any other name . . . would it smell so sweet?

I guess this is a "story" of a sort . . . a very, very long running one.

2042296037_ByAnyOtherNameBlank.thumb.png.30b9c5a486827e215d1a88b3139f19de.png

Wow. Stunning. He stands for reason. Life needs a plan. No time to fool around. She is rather emotional, has romantic fantasies and takes life as gift that should be enjoyed each day new. Well, thats only my personal interpretation of the scene. I guess their relationship isn't without conflicts. The arguing couple on the wall painting could be a sign for that.

Edited by Doc Carling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Doc Carling said:

Wow. Stunning. He stands for reason. Life needs a plan. No time to fool around. She is rather emotional, has romantic fantasies and takes life as gift that should be enjoyed each day new. Well, thats only my personal interpretation of the scene. I guess their relationship isn't without conflicts. The arguing couple on the wall painting could be a sign for that.

Thank you, Doc!

There's never any one "right" way to read a painting, poem, or work of art, of course. In general, though, I think you've come pretty close to what I intended -- with the exception really of the fact that I was trying to comment here less on an individual couple (fictional or not), and more upon the "roles" assigned to them by social convention. Hence the title. Men have traditionally and historically been assigned the roles of "doers" in society -- they are, as you say, rational, and live in and through time. Women have largely been depicted as "ornaments": their prime asset is their beauty (and by extension, their sexuality and reproductive function). That has often literally been the case: in well-off families, daughters were an "asset" to be bartered off for marriage in exchange for political, financial, and social alliances and advantage.

My reference to Shakespeare's Juliet:

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet"

. . . argues that she is wrong: names do matter, and how we perceive, label, and categorize things (such as gender) have real consequences. (I think the play proves her wrong too: her name, and Romeo's, do matter, and are arguably what kill them both in the end.)

The social realities have of course changed over the past century, and we are not quite so prone to think in these terms now, and yet vestiges of this distinction remain very much in evidence -- in advertisements, media, and even art.

All that said, your interpretation works quite well too, and is, in its essentials, pretty close to what I was getting at.

• Like 1

My pleasure. :) I guessed that the couple mirrors the gender roles in society. I think even when the roles changed most of the traditional views still exist in the mind of people and influence our daily life in many areas. I want to add another point.  To get the idea at all to display the theme in that way and the way you realized it, that's more than just "story telling". Respect. And believe me. I don't want to flatter you. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 116 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.