My pet peeve

BilliJo Aldrin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1316 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I wish the moles would stop their attempts to prettify mainland by adding totally incongruous landscaping elements.

There are vast areas of Second life that are desolate wastelands of bare rock, which is fine, they exist in real life too

And then the moles come along and add trees and hedges and flower boxes.

It really destroys the realism of the scene, and as others have stated, make it impossible to get in and out of your property with a vehicle.

We really don't need every foot of roadway bordered with "stuff".

I suggest that you leave the road margins open unless there is a compelling reason to add elements, and then, at least make them fit the theme.

peeve.png

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
spelling, added words
  • Haha 2

Well, the Circuit La Corse is just like that. What I don't like about the items is that most of them are sculpties, look ugly, and old. While driving among the few landscaping objects though, it gives a better sense of "reality" than totally bare sims. There are enough of those anyway. If you want bare rocks with the same textures, some parts of West Corsica along Route 11 are just like that. Road, a few landscaping rock items, and bare deprecated terrain. The bare rocky stuff wouldn't be actually bad, but that specific rock texture on it makes me want to get a moon rover all the time I go there. It would look much better with a good quality rock texture, and one that is not gray like this.

One thing for sure, the hedges and pine trees look ridiculous growing out of the moon rock. Since Bellisseria, the only thing in my mind about this is seeing how great it could look. And it would only take some nice sandstone texture instead of the Moon, and a few better quality plants that actually fit in a (half-)desert environment. Pine trees. Jeez.

Edited by AlettaMondragon
typo correction

9 hours ago, Artair Glendullen said:

I don't mind it, myself. The hedges are a bit weird, and they could do with a few more trees and a bit of grass sprinkled in, but I can kind of see what they were going for. It's Every Canadian Highway Ever, but the minimalist version.

I just wish they did a better emulation of the real Corsica, it is beautiful. It makes a huge difference whether you make heavily rocky terrain by recreating the Moon, or this:

Calanques-de-Piana679l.JPG

corsica-1024x768.jpg

1H4Nxd?width=1200&height=480&crop=true&q

• Like 4

On 9/4/2020 at 6:14 AM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I wish the moles would stop their attempts to prettify mainland by adding totally incongruous landscaping elements.

There are vast areas of Second life that are desolate wastelands of bare rock, which is fine, they exist in real life too

And then the moles come along and add trees and hedges and flower boxes.

It really destroys the realism of the scene, and as others have stated, make it impossible to get in and out of your property with a vehicle.

We really don't need every foot of roadway bordered with "stuff".

I suggest that you leave the road margins open unless there is a compelling reason to add elements, and then, at least make them fit the theme.

peeve.png

The whole reason I bought land in Immortalis is that I liked the Lindens' road elements. They are a little weird -- tiles and hedges in the middle of nowhere -- but I like them. I don't like the old trees; I do like some of the new and their funny space-age telephone boxes. I can't really drive in and out of my lot very well but I'm not a driver. I can fly, did you know that? I bet you can, too.

I don't think they should remove things; I think they need to stop enabling bad actors to abuse report those who build ramps. They should tolerate ramps if they are on the shoulder of the road, full stop, the way they tolerate bridges over Linden water. That is all that is needed. Anybody can build a ramp and root it on their land so it doesn't return, in such a way that it doesn't block traffic.

That some zealots believe it harms their vehicular passage is absurd. As has been proven, other elements of the Lindens' builds (underneath) do that. When the Lindens are willing to drop their zealotry about ramps on their land, and also willing to stop enabling their vicious fanboyz to file ARs, we'll see a better world.

On 9/6/2020 at 9:07 AM, AlettaMondragon said:

I just wish they did a better emulation of the real Corsica, it is beautiful. It makes a huge difference whether you make heavily rocky terrain by recreating the Moon, or this:

Calanques-de-Piana679l.JPG

corsica-1024x768.jpg

1H4Nxd?width=1200&height=480&crop=true&q

I don't recall a single low stone wall like that anywhere in Corsica. It wouldn't solve the problem of driving off your lot. But it would look better. They could make some parts to be retractable gates temporarily.

3 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I don't recall a single low stone wall like that anywhere in Corsica. It wouldn't solve the problem of driving off your lot. But it would look better. They could make some parts to be retractable gates temporarily.

Yes, if we stick to the topic, actually the RL pictures I selected wouldn't be the best for roadways. There are, actually, roadways at the east half of the Circuit, like at that horrible "pixel" bridge in Fishers Rest, up to Shetlon, that resemble the ones in these photos. I rather showed these for the terrain, I'm not a big fan of the wall / fence / high curb solutions on mainland roads either.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1316 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.