Firestorm Viewer 6.3.9 (58205) and UseHTTPBakedTextureFetch

Rachel1206

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1320 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am curios on this setting in Firestorm 6.3.9 (58205) May 27 2020 01:20:51 (64bit) (Firestorm-Releasex64) with Havok support:

UseHTTPBakedTextureFetch: If true, baked avatar textures will be fetched using HTTP instead of UDP.

Default value is FALSE - why is this not TRUE default? I thought, all fetching textures over UDP were terminated?

On 9/3/2020 at 6:44 PM, Rachel1206 said:

I thought, all fetching textures over UDP were terminated?

UDP was discussed a few times during last year's server user group meetings, particularly after LL turned off UDP use for body parts and animations, giving many oldies the white-cloud behaviour. It would be worth passing this question on to @Oz Linden because when I queried the use of UDP after the earlier announcement that UDP was now no longer used for avatar body parts and animations he replied that there were proper ways to use UDP. (or words to that effect) I can't recall what was proper and what was improper, though.

It was added during the early days of server-side baking to enable fetching baked textures via HTTP since it was still done via UDP back then. For quite a while, they are already fetched via HTTP - unless  client-side baking is used, e.g. on OpenSim. As Whirly already said that setting is not connected to any code anymore and you can ignore it for the time being it will be removed in next release.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1320 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.