opengl32.dll missing from computer EDIT 5/23/11 10:30 P.M.

jak12132

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4714 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Immediately when I run secondlife.exe it tells me that my computer is missing opengl32.dll and I should try reinstalling.  I've tried reinstalling the Second Life viewer but I still get the error.  I'm able to run Second Life on my small low power asus notebook, but I would much rather play on my expensive gaming system that can run multiple games at once all at the best quality and still have perfect performance.  I'm using a Radeon HD 6870 with the newest driver update and the newest update of CCC (Catalyst Control Center), so I'm not sure if it's that.  I have 8 GB of ram and 2 TB of hard drive, so there's definitely no problem there.  The CPU is an AMD 1055T six core each core overclocked to 3.0 Ghz, no problem there either.  Please help I really don't want to play on my powerless Asus!

Edit:

I have opengl32.dll on my computer and I will try doing the windows repair incase the file is corrupted and I will also try what you said peewee.  I'll update on the results tomorrow :)

3 answers to this question

Hello jak. opengl32.dll is a system DLL for the graphics API that LL uses. It is a part of standard MS Windows installation and normally you can find it at C: \ Windows \ System32 directory. For a reason you haven't this file in your hard disk. Maybe it's deleted by a virus? by a system crash? by a problem in your hard disk? by an application maybe you recently installed and deleted inadvertently this file? Not sure.

I fear that you must to reinstall windows, except of using one of the stantard windows repair installation tools, which is possible to restore the .dll file for you.

Good luck.

Hi jak,

If you have opengl32.dll on your computer and presumably in your System32 folder, that's good. You don't need to download it or repair Windows. All you have to do is click Start > Run and type in:

regsvr32 "C:\Windows\System32\opengl32.dll" 

You should then get a confirmation window saying that opengl32.dll was successfully registered.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4714 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.