what setting for substance painter export?

Gaspare Alectoris

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't upload SP exports directly to SL as I tweak them in Blender and Photoshop first, but at one point made a quick export preset to test in SL, which looks like this (old version, haven't upgraded my personal copy after Adobe acquisition).  Add glossiness channel in your texture set and export glossiness map as specular map.  SP's specular map doesn't seem to work too well.  Pick OpenGL normals instead of DirectX.  For texture sets with opacity channel (like glass) you'll need to add alpha to the diffuse in export settings.  Not too sure if my settings are optimized for SL but they seem to work for me.

Making output template is kind of confusing at first glance but pretty simple.  You are going to need to make custom settings anyways as you advance in the use of the software so better start early.   They have an updated tutorial video.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

As someone who currently uses Substance Painter I would have to say the answer to this isn't just one reply. My suggestion to you is if you follow basic substance tutorials it will explain the answers for you. There isn't one setting to do this. Some of this answer depends on the shader you are using. Is there an export to SL? No. Is there an export for SL? No. Is there a way to get specular, roughness, etc, yes. But, it's not one setting and click here and just export like this. You could have the proper settings to export and still may not produce the map you are after unless you understand Substance Painter. I refer you to tutorials on the export settings and tutorials on the shaders SP uses. The most basic Substance Painter tutorials that were put out officially by the company who creates the software will explain these things. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Chie Salome said:

I don't upload SP exports directly to SL as I tweak them in Blender and Photoshop first, but at one point made a quick export preset to test in SL, which looks like this (old version, haven't upgraded my personal copy after Adobe acquisition).  Add glossiness channel in your texture set and export glossiness map as specular map.  SP's specular map doesn't seem to work too well.  Pick OpenGL normals instead of DirectX.  For texture sets with opacity channel (like glass) you'll need to add alpha to the diffuse in export settings.  Not too sure if my settings are optimized for SL but they seem to work for me.

Making output template is kind of confusing at first glance but pretty simple.  You are going to need to make custom settings anyways as you advance in the use of the software so better start early.   They have an updated tutorial video.

Thank you so much , ill try it ! 

• 4 weeks later...

Assuming you are trying to export 3 items

1 diffuse

2 normal map (OpenGL)

3 glossiness 

you can use the regular PBR export in the current version for 2 and 3.  For 1 simply use the 2d export which SL users has been asking for years for and they finally delivered it earlier this year (ish).

The 2d export basically exports what you see on the flat 2d map and works well for diffuse ready for your 3D program or Photoshop etc.  

If doing glass I wouldn’t bother with alpha and instead so that in your photo editing program as you can then control how transparent you want it to be.  So I use a basic chrome material when making “glass” effects.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Charlotte Bartlett said:

Assuming you are trying to export 3 items

1 diffuse

2 normal map (OpenGL)

3 glossiness 

you can use the regular PBR export in the current version for 2 and 3.  For 1 simply use the 2d export which SL users has been asking for years for and they finally delivered it earlier this year (ish).

The 2d export basically exports what you see on the flat 2d map and works well for diffuse ready for your 3D program or Photoshop etc.  

If doing glass I wouldn’t bother with alpha and instead so that in your photo editing program as you can then control how transparent you want it to be.  So I use a basic chrome material when making “glass” effects.

How do you make the 2D export not have directional lightning? 

I got the trial of SP but the 2D export was frustrating me. 

The 2D export reflected the lightning of the HDR you have selected. So the front was more lit than the back, and if you rotate the environment the more lit area changes. 

Is there a setting somewhere? Or another HDR? 

I run SL on ultra settings but when I see nice clothes or objects I disable the advanced lightning, which makes normal maps disappear from mesh and the difference is minimal. 

I could never make the diffuse map to have all the details on it as seen on 2D view. 

Edited by Reiramon

That’s really getting into the basics of using SP.  You can control directional lighting via environment and I tend to find Studio 2 HDR the most useful.  I sometimes if doing a large building will cluster my bakes and then rotate my environment 90 degrees for the next cluster and so on to balance out some of that.  You can also apply a filter and activate two of the light options to further tweak directional lighting. 

The 2d export will exactly match the 2D viewport if you have set up your project correctly.   It won’t match the 3D view of course.  What settings are you also using to bake and what template?  I tend to bake at 2046 then reduce size down in photoshop for SL. So check your settings are high enough plus whilst SL may use OpenGL from memory there may be some buggy behaviour with SP and the 2d export so have a play when you export using DirectX instead just for the 2d part.

it seems you may be new to the application.  On the website they have tutorials you can get through the introduction ones in a few hours and it is well worth the time investment as it shows you how to manipulate elements like environments so you can control your directional lighting etc.

Always learn the interface first then apply it to the weird SL workflow we use rather than try to only learn the SL elements as it will be far quicker to get up to speed.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Diffuse in the RGB. Alpha may be Alpha Transparency, or Emission Map.

Specular Map is a bit weird. The RGB of specular is the Specular Color, the Alpha represents the Environment Reflections (Yeah I know, wtf Linden labs).

Normal Map RGB is the Normals. But the Alpha of the Normal Map is the actual Specular Highlight Map (seriously wtf Linden)

To get a correct Diffuse map, you will need to add lighting data for Second Life. Usually AOs, edge maps, and curvatures combinations will be good enough. You will also need to color your metals, as PBR relies on specular highlights to provide color maps. Baking a mostly even lighting scenario onto the diffuse map is also not a bad idea, as it helps makes it look better for Lower end systems, and assists Second life's lighting system by providing shadows it normally would not be able to make.

Specular is an oddball. The specular RGB node is going to be the Specular colormap which is fine. This will be predominantly white for non-conductive materials (most materials in the world). For metals, iridescent, exotic materials, and what have you, you'll want to add color to the specular highlights. The environment reflections is the Alpha map of the Specular texture. It reflects the environment around you.

Normal Maps. The RGB is the standard OGL tangent space normal map. The alpha channel however holds the actual glossy/specular map. This map is the one we all know to be dependent on point lights as well as the sun. This is responsible for how the object is illuminated in respects to light.

You will need to faf about with the Glossy and Enviornment to get a correct looking effect in all lighting conditions.

Edited by Cyrule Adder
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Cyrule Adder said:

To get a correct Diffuse map, you will need to add lighting data for Second Life. Usually AOs, edge maps, and curvatures combinations will be good enough.

But don't overdo it, SL does have a lighting system after all.

Baking a mostly even lighting scenario onto the diffuse map is also not a bad idea, as it helps makes it look better for Lower end systems, and assists Second life's lighting system by providing shadows it normally would not be able to make.

But be extremely wary of how much texture load you add,it adds up quickly and on a full scene, every little bit helps. Good, well packed, well designed UV maps also allow you to get the most out of your textures.

Keep also in mind how "important" the baked details you are adding are: if no one notices that something isn't "there", it brobably isn't needed.

The environment reflections is the Alpha map of the Specular texture. It reflects the environment around you.

You can consider the environment value to be "somewhat" analog to metalness. And gloss to be "somewhat" analog to roughness.

The most convincing "gold" materials in SL have a specular color close to their diffuse but lighter, and a reasonable amount of environment.

Quick other note, anything shiny/reflective should have at least a small amount of environment because at night, with the low light, that is all you'll get.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

this is what I use:

SubstancePainterOPsetting.thumb.png.4a10d3a57c22a54441ef5e0d6bd49eb6.png

I dont know if it suit anyone, it works for me till now. What I referenced:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Material_Data

https://docs.substance3d.com/spdoc/creating-export-presets-98959398.html

You dont even need the third map (specular one) if the mesh is not a metal thing, as the alpha channel of normal map do the work, as the wiki says.

• Thanks 1

Basic english breakdown for a more direct answer.

Here's the settings you need.

Diffuse Map, RGB Channel will be your normal diffuse. Alpha channel will be for glow maps, alpha transparencies, etc.

In your Normal Map, you need the Normal to be in the RGB. But the Alpha is actually important here. For some f*cking reason, Secondlife has designed it so that the Specular Map is located in the Normal Map's alpha channel. Go figure.

The RGB channel of the specular map is actually the specular color. If you're doing anything non-metalic, for realism this should be white. But you can do what ever you want with this channel. Environment map is located in the Alpha channel of the Specular map.

The Specular Map effects the highlights you receive from projectors. Meaning it becomes useless in sunlight, or no light.
The Environment Map effects the reflectivity of the surface. This also means that you get highlights from the sun and moon, as well as reflections of the environment.

To convert the Substance Diffuse to a useable SL texture. You need to multiply the AO map onto the surface. Using concavity, curvature maps, and what have you can also go along way. And you may need to paint false lighting information to the surface to help give it omph where the SL render can not (trust me, it will look flat without that aid.).

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, doctorinkshop said:

Hi guys I'm new to the world of Substance Painter, but I would like to create tattoos with this program, question? what kind of mannequin to use? and to import tattoo textures, are the settings for second life the same as for normal textures? :$

Probably best to use the SL UV from the SL dummy. If you have Avastar you can load the SL dummy into blender, not sure if it has the UV map. But if it does, you're in good shape! Export the dummy as an .fbx file with the UV included. Then you should be able to open it up in Substance.

I'm not sure where else you can get the dummy besides Avastar, it used to be on the SL website, but it looks like they're updating it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Janet Voxel said:

Probably best to use the SL UV from the SL dummy. If you have Avastar you can load the SL dummy into blender, not sure if it has the UV map. But if it does, you're in good shape! Export the dummy as an .fbx file with the UV included. Then you should be able to open it up in Substance.

I'm not sure where else you can get the dummy besides Avastar, it used to be on the SL website, but it looks like they're updating it.

They can be found here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Clothing_Tutorials#Second_Life_avatar_models

I would recommend to download the avatarSLFemale.obj and avatarSLMale.obj files under the Improved Second Life avatar meshes for 3D texture painting section. These have the UVs set up as UDIMs already.
Clicking on the links opens just plain text for me. So right click > save file as > giving it a name and a dot obj extension will do the trick, though.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, arton Rotaru said:

They can be found here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Clothing_Tutorials#Second_Life_avatar_models

I would recommend to download the avatarSLFemale.obj and avatarSLMale.obj files under the Improved Second Life avatar meshes for 3D texture painting section. These have the UVs set up as UDIMs already.
Clicking on the links opens just plain text for me. So right click > save file as > giving it a name and a dot obj extension will do the trick, though.

Thanks! The last time I checked it, it said under construction or something. Good to know it's back!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.