I need an avatar appearance consultant

Rocky Rutabaga

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1332 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have burned through 3 different mesh bodies in the past 2 days and now I'm ready to burn down my sim. Let me backtrack. I've been playing SL for over 14 years. I've learned to build, modestly script, make sculpties, design amazing things, and build mesh furniture and houses.

But this Mesh/BOM avatar business is impossible to understand.

Currently my mesh mess is a Signature Gianni body, lelutka Skyler Head, IKON Promise eyes, and a Belleza Jacob skin. I'm sure that's half of it. But all I was trying to do, when this all started was to get my Aesthetic hands to match my Aesthetic arms. Now a few thousand Lindens later, I'm worse off: mismatching head and body. Invisible eyes.

I'd prefer to pay someone to get in my shoes and fix it and then explain what I did wrong. I don't want to read manual after manual of poorly written manufacturer instructions. The are uniformly difficult to comprehend.

If anyone knows of an image consultant or fixer, please contact me.

RockyR

I don't have your type of mesh body, so can only advise you regarding what I use.  Like you, I've got 14 years worth of Classic stuff.  Most of it won't work with a regular mesh body.  Most of it will work with a BOM-style mesh body.  See what options your particular mesh body manufacturer has.  Apparently some use HUDs, as referenced in comments above.  I'm using Slink Physique for my mesh body.  The Slinkies, or whatever the manufacturer is called, now have two types of mesh bodies:  The regular kind (and I forget what they call it) and a BOM type they call "Redux".  So for me, it was as simple as going to the Slinky Store and clicking on a sign that launches their website, where you enter your SL name and it delivers a Redux to you for free.  Well, almost, because it took me a while to realize I may be a SLinky user, but I'm technically not a Slinky customer:  A friend bought me a mesh avatar for my Rez Day a few years ago, after I tried several demos.  So SHE had to log in to their site.  Once I had the Redux, I just pulled up my favorite Classic outfits, switched the body to Redux, and did a Save As with the same name as the original outfit but with the words "Redux BOM" added, along with a date change (I index all of my outfits by date so that I know which one is the final version).

So your thingy might have a different body, or it might have a HUD.  Check with your mesh thingy's manufacturer.

I don't know of any clothing experts to recommend.  Maybe ask friends in game if they have experience with that.

I agree that mesh is a big complicated mess when it comes to ease-of-use.  But it does offer more choices.  So you need to decide whether to continue to just use Classic or Mesh, or if you want to plod on forward and do this new BOM combo thing.

Now watch and I find out folks are doing this BOM stuff for purposes way beyond wearing Classic outfits with mesh bodies lol

*sigh* Life was a lot simpler 14 years ago, wasn't it?  Including SECOND Life...

Hi @Rocky Rutabaga, I gathered demos of your "mesh mess" list, and this is how I look like. I don't know the exact issue you are having without knowing how your "mess" looks like or if you are using BOM on all body parts (head, body, eyes, etc.) or only some.

I am wearing the Signature Gianni body and HUD, along with all the other items shown in my inventory snapshot.
Make sure you activate BOM on your Signature body HUD.
Make sure you have BOM activated on your Lelutka head HUD.
Make sure you are not wearing any alpha layers.

I'm not sure how to get rid of that neck seam though - anyone have any tips?

Does this help? If not, can you take a pic of how you look like to give us a better idea?

Male BOM.jpg

Edited by AdminGirl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1332 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.