red light for LODs

Mikki Miles

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4719 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

it's me again :-/

I'm trying to upload a model with the different, handmade LODs. The HI model has 7407 tris/4049 verts, the med comes with 736/765, low with 138/188 and xlow with 13/29.

when I add the low model, the uploader says "Levels of detail have a different number of textureable faces"

I don't understand this, I thought that's what it's all about, to have a different number of faces???

In this case, you have assigned more than one texture/material to your mesh in your 3D program. All LOD meshes need the same number of "texture sides". You have to (re)assign at least 1 triangle to each texture/material in your 3D app, on each LOD.

This confusion between "faces" in the usual mesh sense and "faces" in the in-world objec/LSL/texture sense keeps arising. I guess we need a new word for the in-world face. It used to be "submesh", but that caused equal confusion. So, I guess, would "materials" because that means something else too. It's especially hard with meshes because now the "face" doesn't even have to be contiguous. Any ideas for a new word?

yes, "materials" would be confusing, too.

There's one part of that model with no material assigned at all, i simply paint it white inworld (for now)

oh, BTW, is there any known trouble with uploading a physics shape along with the model? I keep on crashing...

Drongle McMahon wrote:

This confusion between "faces" in the usual mesh sense and "faces" in the in-world objec/LSL/texture sense keeps arising. I guess we need a new word for the in-world face. It used to be "submesh", but that caused equal confusion. So, I guess, would "materials" because that means something else too. It's especially hard with meshes because now the "face" doesn't even have to be contiguous. Any ideas for a new word?

What about this:

A mesh can have up to 8 individual "surfaces", where each surface can have its own texture settings. Note that a surface does not need to be contiguous.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4719 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.