Pearl Worried

Bagnu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1325 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

...begins to wonder about how and what you learn.

In SL and RL, I find learning to be generally trouble-free, immensely enjoyable, and often exciting. It's my favorite thing to do.

I'm afraid to say that some of the most important lessons I've ever had to learn were very painful. I did learn well, though.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

Jordan is going to kick the bejebus out of Orwar when SL let's her log in again for making her refer to herself in the third person (which is STILL creepy!) and for always peeking-her-boo!

When SL lets her log in again???Jordan....Did you do something...naughty???

8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:
15 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:
1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

some degree of "trouble" is necessary for any type of growth process like understanding life to a greater degree

46 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

learning always involves some stress....sometimes a lot...

...begins to wonder about how and what you learn.

In SL and RL, I find learning to be generally trouble-free, immensely enjoyable, and often exciting. It's my favorite thing to do.

I generally do too...find learning enjoyable.

It does depend on what you're learning and how much of yourself you're willing to invest though. Learning better dynamics with others seems to pose more problems with most people, especially romantic relationships.

With some of my creations I've about torn my hair out, as the solution just wouldn't come without immense effort and confusion.  Even so, I considered it rewarding and great fun.

Make up your mind. Either trouble is necessary for any type of growth process and learning always involves stress, or it's generally enjoyable.

Sure, I've learned the hard way. I imagine many people have, as Amina just stated. But, to claim that growth and learning always involves stress is absolutely not the case for me and apparently not the case for you. You might want to learn not to contradict yourself, unless you find that enjoyable!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Um . . . because doing so is a surefire ticket to hell?

I still have a few friends who are doing . . . ok.

I'm sure it is lol. from the T-shirt I saw you wear the other day....But I'm already headed there anyways, so I have nothing to lose!!! I'll have good company at least!!!

9 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Ohhh,  uh-huh.....big vocabulary girl......  😉

Lol no! I looked it up for when I was going to peeve 🤗

14 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Why are some people finding 3rd person annoying or even creepy?  Answer me that....    :)

I think it's funny if it's like a joke. But if it's how someone refers to themselves normally, as if they're a separate entity from themselves, it just seems weird. But for that person in particular, it was annoying to me because of that person's sense of self-importance!

Googled illeism:

When we hear it happen, habitual illeism — the barely pronounceable word that describes the act of using the third person when talking about oneself — tends to signal to the rest of us one of a number of personality quirks in the speaker, none of them good: A stunted intellect (“Sloth loves Chunk”); the presence of psychotic personality disorders (“Smeagol hates nasty Hobbitses”); rampant egoism (“Doctor Doom shall be master of Earth!”); or a journalist using horribly awkward turns of phrase that belong in the print era (at least, that’s in the opinion of your present author).

For very young children, using their own name in place of first-person pronouns like “I” or “me” is typical enough — the kind of entry-level self-expression that’s often observed in other strange beings that are just getting to grips with human language (“E.T. phone home”; “Hulk smash!”; “Elmo loves Big Bird,” etc). But according to recent research into dissociative thinking, the illeistic impulse might have psychological implications that are much more constructive than the idea of a flawed or infantile ego it usually conjures up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Make up your mind. Either trouble is necessary for any type of growth process and learning always involves stress, or it's generally enjoyable.

Sure, I've learned the hard way. I imagine many people have, as Amina just stated. But, to claim that growth and learning always involves stress is absolutely not the case for me and apparently not the case for you. You might want to learn not to contradict yourself, unless you find that enjoyable!

It appears we really do need to define clearly this term 'trouble'.

But no, not contradicting my self at all because learning can be many things at the same time....stressful (my definition of 'trouble'), enjoyable, difficult, fun...

* We need to define 'stress' as well.

Edited by Luna Bliss

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

It appears we really do need to define clearly this term 'trouble'.

But no, not contradicting my self at all because learning can be many things at the same time....stressful (my definition of 'trouble'), enjoyable, difficult, fun...

* We need to define 'stress' as well.

I don't think this is a matter of defining words so much as understanding their existing definitions. You might start with "any" and "always".

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Right. Cuz I am totally associated with the burgeoning sex trade in SL, right? I'm the poster girl for it!

Just call me Madame Bedwell from now on, please. And don't forget to tip the venue, and treat my girls well too.

OMG you almost made me die RL laughing!!! The only association you have with the sex trade is by being my friend and meeting my friends!!!

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I don't think this is a matter of defining words so much as understanding their existing definitions. You might start with "any" and "always".

I said that I "generally" find learning enjoyable...same thing.

But I really don't think one can learn without at least a little bit of stress, but we need to define just what 'stress' is.  Go find a chart...  

9 minutes ago, AdminGirl said:

I think it's funny if it's like a joke. But if it's how someone refers to themselves normally, as if they're a separate entity from themselves, it just seems weird. But for that person in particular, it was annoying to me because of that person's sense of self-importance!

I'm sitting here talking about myself in 3rd person, trying to ascertain if I feel more self-important...lol.  I kind of do, I mean like Luna could be a fabulous character in an amazing book...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
40 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Why are some people finding 3rd person annoying or even creepy?  Answer me that....    :)

Arielle thinks Luna should answer that question herself as she seems to have trouble doing it consistently. :)

I can't answer for other people -- I imagine different people have different reasons for why they'd find 3rd person annoying or creepy.

For me, personally, if someone started seriously referring to themselves in 3rd person I'd be alarmed as dissociation is a sign of major trouble. I'd think they were very overwhelmed -- so much so that they didn't want to feel they were even 'there' anymore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Of a sort, yeah. But she's in no way a toxic poster: she'll occasionally say something . . . unfortunate . . . but I see no evidence that she's deliberately provoking controversy or outrage, in the way that a "classic" troll would.

She's already admitted that she likes being the centre of attention. And probably most of us, if we look deep enough within ourselves, would be forced to acknowledge that there is at least an element of vanity in posting here.

Thing is, what she's doing works. She gets great responses on these threads! And they're absolutely about her!

So . . . who is being foolish here, exactly?

In now way do I promote any toxicity. I find that fully repugnant!!! Your post made me reflect on myself, and what Caroline Takeda said. Selling sex doesn't work. It's about promoting yourself so that people want you in particular. I haven't deliberately done that, and she posted that well after I started in the forums. It is simply my personality. And all of this helping me understand the differing dynamics of inworld vs the forums. Really that's what I am trying to do....to understand how things work!!!

I don't get anything financial out of being in the forums. What I HAVE gotten are some very dear friends, an SL Sister and a Mother!!! And that is worth more than any $L I could make!!! 

2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

If I felt a group of people were very critical of me, or even hated me, I would be concerned about those who were expressing positive feelings towards me as it's not uncommon for people to take sides in conflicts.  Not sure how responsible I'd feel, but I do know how dynamics in groups often play out.

And...perhaps by announcing that some in the group liked me it could also be a way to say to those who are critical of me "hey, see I'm really okay as some of the most powerful & well-liked people in the group like me".

That wasn't my actual intent on a conscious level. Subconsciously I can't answer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, So Whimsy said:

Not to forget her calling people disturbing for the dastardly deed of changing their avatars drastically.

You're only her friend for as long as you don't do it so be careful.

My close friends stay my friend. Period, end of story. 

2 hours ago, Talligurl said:

If SL makes you happier in RL then that is wonderful, but if it causes you trouble in RL you need to separate.

And you know it did. I agree.

2 hours ago, Talligurl said:

Fine disagree, you took an opinion I expressed specifically for Pearl, and then tired to make it a statement about everyone in general. I have no desire to be dragged into this argument. 

Very few here would understand your comment, but I certainly do. It's not for public knowledge any ways!!!

19 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I can't answer for other people -- I imagine different people have different reasons for why they'd find 3rd person annoying or creepy.

For me, personally, if someone started seriously referring to themselves in 3rd person I'd be alarmed as dissociation is a sign of major trouble. I'd think they were very overwhelmed -- so much so that they didn't want to feel they were even 'there' anymore.

Arielle feels Luna still disassociated by projecting what it would imply for other people, not how it feels to do it for Luna herself just within one thread.

2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I don't agree with your advice to Pearl, and stated why, as the kind of detachment you advocate can be harmful.

She had a very good reason to give me that advice!!!

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:
26 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Arielle feels Luna still disassociated by projecting what it would imply for other people, not how it feels to do it for Luna herself just within one thread.

I like to explore, what 3rd person means for me and what it might mean for others. Since I have a lot of psychological knowledge I can guess with that understanding, and since I like to imagine & empathize I can imagine what it might mean for others.  Others have added their 2 cents which also adds to my understanding.   So don't really get what you're trying to criticize me on...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1325 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.