web-tv update brouwser and home page

slavegirlmartine Klaar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1328 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

This "free web-tv" is something displayed on an in-world surface, something you see in your viewer? Have you tried using a current Linden viewer? (or, equivalently, the new beta version of Firestorm, not the standard release of Firestorm)?

If this is what I think it is, we should be able to arrange a YouTube start page, but maybe not with whatever this "free web-tv" is, unless somebody comes along who's familiar with that particular product.

[ETA: Wait, you're trying to login to YouTube through the viewer? Did that ever work in the past? I'm thinking it probably shouldn't have.]

Edited by Qie Niangao

3 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Thanks, that's an interesting bit of tech and business history. (And you should feel free to eat as many socks as you want, whenever you're hungry!)

My hunch is, though, that the OP was talking about an in-world shared media (aka "Media-on-a-Prim") object. Next time I logged in, I checked inventory and indeed I had a thing with that name -- just a standard issue MoaP surface on a simple prim skewed to look a bit like a flat screen TV -- and there are scores more similar items on the Marketplace, too, with names and descriptions roughly matching "web tv".

Coincidentally(?) this thing's media was pre-set for https://youtube.com which (I never noticed before) comes with a "Sign In" button. I'm the worst to answer this question because I try to use YouTube as little as possible, and dread every moment I'm forced to use it, but in my normal Chrome browser, it apparently does automatically sign into an account that it uses to recommend other stuff to play based on all the stuff I hated every time I used it in the past. I can see, though, that if one actually enjoyed YouTube (shudder), having that account history could be useful, even when looking at an in-world screen.

But logging in through MoaP... does that work? Somehow secondlife.com on MoaP gets my account credentials from the viewer session, but when I try to login to google (or youtube) it definitely doesn't want me to enter a password through the Chromium Embedded Framework browser that MoaP provides. So I asked if that ever worked (for YouTube).

On the other hand, I'm thinking "change the start page to you-tube" might not really mean changing the MoaP home URL to youtube.com, but rather changing which youtube video is shown first. That definitely can be done -- no need to login at all -- by simply getting MoaP to use the URL specific to that youtube video. And scripts can use other forms of interaction (e.g., a menu triggered by touching the TV's frame, say) to switch to other videos the same way. But unless/until the OP returns, we won't know what she wanted anyway.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1328 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.