Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Has one of the programmers been drinking?  A rather odd and completely irrelevant paragraph on distilled drinks was placed where I expected to see programming release notes:

https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/viewer/6.4.7.546539.html

Assuming they quickly delete it, it said:

"Release Notes

Arrack is a distilled alcoholic drink typically produced in the Indian subcontinent and Southeast Asia, made from the fermented sap of coconut flowers or sugarcane, and also with grain (e.g. red rice) or fruit depending upon the country of origin. It is sometimes spelled arak, or simply referred to as ‘rack or ‘rak. It is not to be confused with the anise-flavored distilled spirit called Arak or Araq.

There are two primary styles of Arrack that are very different from one another: Batavia Arrack is often clear in color but has a flavor profile more similar to dark rum, with a distinctive “funk” or “hogo” imparted to it from fermented red rice. Ceylon Arrack, by contrast, is a more refined and subtle spirit. It has hints of Cognac and rum character and a wealth of delicate floral notes. Both styles are also made “in house” by local citizenry and can be more akin to moonshine in their presentation.

Note: This Viewer uses Viewer Manager 2.0.538279"

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Has one of the programmers been drinking?  A rather odd and completely irrelevant paragraph on distilled drinks was placed where I expected to see programming release notes: https://releasenotes.

Maintenance-RC viewers have been named after alcoholic drinks for a while now, we've already been through the alphabet once & they are back to A again.

This explains sooooooo much about SL!

8 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

This also explains sooooooo much about SL!

As many of them there are that work from home (or have the ability to*) and no one ever put the two together before now? Color me surprised. lol

 

*There are those Lindens who can restart regions and do other things from home and it's been that way for over 10 years that I know of. That doesn't mean they work from home all the time. They're just able to do some things from home when it isn't during normal business hours (M-F 8am - 5pm PST/PDT). Something major happening would require they "go in to the office" but something like a simple region restart (or even a server restart) can be done from home. Which is why I still have my doubts about moving regions to the cloud. LL will no longer have that option and it's been a good one to have. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sunnyrio said:

A rather odd and completely irrelevant paragraph on distilled drinks was placed where I expected to see programming release notes:

Irrelevant? I've learned so much about booze from SL Release Notes that I wouldn't have otherwise. The more you know...

Now if only to convince Whirly to add some spice and razzle dazzle to  Firestorm release notes. 😉 

Also, Grumpity used to write awesome release notes. I still miss those. They were intoxicating in a different way. :D 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Release Notes

Bormotukha (Бормотуха) (Der. “bormotat’”, to mutter) is a surrogate alcoholic drink with toxic side effects; inexpensive (usually fortified, 15-22% ABV) low quality grape or fruit/berry wine made from cheap wine material, sugar, ethyl alcohol, water and artificial dyes. The name was also used for any cheap types of port wine and vermouth. Bormotukha had been used exclusively to achieve the alcoholic intoxication so its taste did not play an important role.

It should be noted that in the former USSR there was no alcohol produced under the brand name “Bormotukha”. The name “Bormotukha” is a collective noun and slang.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

 

*There are those Lindens who can restart regions and do other things from home and it's been that way for over 10 years that I know of. That doesn't mean they work from home all the time. They're just able to do some things from home when it isn't during normal business hours (M-F 8am - 5pm PST/PDT). Something major happening would require they "go in to the office" but something like a simple region restart (or even a server restart) can be done from home. Which is why I still have my doubts about moving regions to the cloud. LL will no longer have that option and it's been a good one to have. 

The only work related thing I cannot do from home is when I need physical hands on to the hardware - as long as I've logged in via the work VPN, that is.  The hardware part doesn't apply to our work cloud stuff, so for the cloud related stuff, there isn't anything that I cannot do from home.

I can't see how things would be any different for LL

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

As many of them there are that work from home (or have the ability to*) and no one ever put the two together before now? Color me surprised. lol

 

*There are those Lindens who can restart regions and do other things from home and it's been that way for over 10 years that I know of. That doesn't mean they work from home all the time. They're just able to do some things from home when it isn't during normal business hours (M-F 8am - 5pm PST/PDT). Something major happening would require they "go in to the office" but something like a simple region restart (or even a server restart) can be done from home. Which is why I still have my doubts about moving regions to the cloud. LL will no longer have that option and it's been a good one to have. 

You've just made me think, I wonder if any companies have policies on being drunk "at work" when you're working from home?  And how do they find out?  Random home visits?  Mind you I worked in a call centre while drinking and they never noticed, I'm one of those folk who can have several pints without any outward signs.  Even police don't notice which is very handy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Maintenance-RC viewers have been named after alcoholic drinks for a while now, we've already been through the alphabet once & they are back to A again.

The alphabet isn't big enough for the number of bugs?

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The only work related thing I cannot do from home is when I need physical hands on to the hardware - as long as I've logged in via the work VPN, that is.  The hardware part doesn't apply to our work cloud stuff, so for the cloud related stuff, there isn't anything that I cannot do from home.

I can't see how things would be any different for LL

 

Depends on the contract and what access is or isn't allowed by the "cloud" owner(s). 

Even Lindens can restart servers (equipment) remotely. Just not all of them (the Lindens, not the servers. They don't all work on the same team.). It's been a while and I've forgotten who it was but when I needed a region restart I had the Linden in IMs and that is what he told me after I apologized for getting him out of bed and making them go into work to restart the sim. *cringes* That's how I found out they don't have to go in! lol

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sunnyrio said:

You've just made me think, I wonder if any companies have policies on being drunk "at work" when you're working from home?  And how do they find out?  Random home visits?  Mind you I worked in a call centre while drinking and they never noticed, I'm one of those folk who can have several pints without any outward signs.  Even police don't notice which is very handy.

They do and in the US they can make you take a blood alcohol test. The tests can also give them a time frame as to when you had the drink(s).

I've worked at call centers. I can smell the booze. I don't drink. I can't if I want to live.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sunnyrio said:

Has one of the programmers been drinking?  A rather odd and completely irrelevant paragraph on distilled drinks was placed where I expected to see programming release notes:

https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/viewer/6.4.7.546539.html

Assuming they quickly delete it, it said:

"Release Notes

Arrack is a distilled alcoholic drink typically produced in the Indian subcontinent and Southeast Asia, made from the fermented sap of coconut flowers or sugarcane, and also with grain (e.g. red rice) or fruit depending upon the country of origin. It is sometimes spelled arak, or simply referred to as ‘rack or ‘rak. It is not to be confused with the anise-flavored distilled spirit called Arak or Araq.

There are two primary styles of Arrack that are very different from one another: Batavia Arrack is often clear in color but has a flavor profile more similar to dark rum, with a distinctive “funk” or “hogo” imparted to it from fermented red rice. Ceylon Arrack, by contrast, is a more refined and subtle spirit. It has hints of Cognac and rum character and a wealth of delicate floral notes. Both styles are also made “in house” by local citizenry and can be more akin to moonshine in their presentation.

Note: This Viewer uses Viewer Manager 2.0.538279"

 

Also those of us on the dark forum theme can not read this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

They do and in the US they can make you take a blood alcohol test. The tests can also give them a time frame as to when you had the drink(s).

I've worked at call centers. I can smell the booze. I don't drink. I can't if I want to live.

That's just wrong, you're in your own home and they dictate your diet!  What jobs are you talking about, operating a nuclear power plant?

Nobody smelt mine.  Cider, and homebrew (whatever you call the stuff that gives you 23%).  Even police don't notice it when I'm stopped for speeding.

Edited by sunnyrio
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

 

Also those of us on the dark forum theme can not read this.

Why not?  The theme must be broken.  I assume it makes white background into black, and black text into white.  So what doesn't change?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Bormotukha (Бормотуха) (Der. “bormotat’”, to mutter) is a surrogate alcoholic drink with toxic side effects;

It's a good thing that the next one is probably Chablis or Cabernet or Chivas!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

Imma fight y'all posting stuff with black text.

Err.... black text is the normal colour.

Is white better?  <----- There's text there

Edited by sunnyrio
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:
  1. Automatic is the "normal" color.
  2. When pasting text from the Wiki it is often best to paste without formatting (if you have that option) so that "automatic" is used.

Thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometime in the future:

”Release Notes

Vodka ish a Rrrusian alcohol. Why do wee have to write thisshhh again? Ssssssssssssss... sorry fell on th kkybrd. Need to fix later. Anyways.... no fixes thisssh patch. Intri\oduce 64 new bugs ttthhough. Hehe heh. Jgatrsopkp gzip jjjojoi.....

  • Like 2
  • Haha 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Sometime in the future:

”Release Notes

Vodka ish a Rrrusian alcohol. Why do wee have to write thisshhh again? Ssssssssssssss... sorry fell on th kkybrd. Need to fix later. Anyways.... no fixes thisssh patch. Intri\oduce 64 new bugs ttthhough. Hehe heh. Jgatrsopkp gzip jjjojoi.....

Still makes more sense then the server release notes...

  • Like 4
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...