Make Shared Media not to quit when the user turns his back.

INNOVALIA Arriaga

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4719 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all, 

I've been searching in the forums but I couldn't find an answer.

I have a prim with a shared media showing some url, with  PRIM_MEDIA_AUTO_PLAY set to True. It seems that the default behaviour is to show the media when the user is able to see it (ok with that) and quit/hide the content when not (I want to avoid this).

I've built a gallery. The problem is that everytime the user moves or turns a little he/she ends up refreshing the shared media on the walls. Is there any way to avoid this? for example by setting it to show/quit programatically?

I want to show the media if the user is near, and hide it if the user is far enough, but not if he's just turning his back.

Anyway.. If that is not possible, I'm ok if I can set them to show forever.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you!

you could use a sensor and turn them on when users are in the area, and off when no users are around, but the nature of shared media is that are effectively off if the avatar is out of range (unless they open it in a browser window) so leaving them on is no problem really....

setting first touch interact should prevent the media starting as soon as it's in view, and wait for them to click... with auto play on, media like sounds or videos should still start automatically when that happens.

• Like 1

Thanks,

By setting them on, do you mean using llSetPrimMediaParams with autoplay on? I haven't seen any other way to force a shared media to play.

Maybe the problem is that 'out of range' thing. I have some big walls, and sometimes when I turn around they just quit, even if some part of the wall is still visible. I also have noticed that, walking through the hall and facing the shared media, makes them suddenly go off. I think that the columns in my hall are making me out of range or hidden to the shared media. Is this 'out of range' behaviour avoidable?

I want to use a shared media because I can also use videos with sound besides pictures. But the walls going off and on reloading every time i turn my head is quite odd : \ 

I wonder if you may be up against a viewer limitation.  Each active Shared Media source spawns a full-fledged "SLPlugin" process, so if you have a lot of them going at the same time, that can really bog down the machine on which the viewer is running.  I certainly had this problem when this was a new feature, but not so much any more.  Maybe (just grasping at straws here) they might have established a limit in more recent viewers?

Not sure how many sources you have, nor how difficult it would be to test it, but if you could copy your build and just one or two of the media sources and walk around the copy to see if it behaves the same way, it might be a clue.  Or somebody familiar with this neck of the viewer source might comment.

Qie Niangao wrote:

I wonder if you may be up against a viewer limitation.  Each active Shared Media source spawns a full-fledged "SLPlugin" process, so if you have a lot of them going at the same time, that can really bog down the machine on which the viewer is running.  I certainly had this problem when this was a new feature, but not so much any more.  Maybe (just grasping at straws here) they might have established a limit in more recent viewers?

That is PluginInstancesTotal, default is 8, but that was there in 2.0 too. If it works better for you now then somebody fixed something. :o

hmmm if there are a lot as Qie says it could be the basic limit that Cerise pointed out...

you might try limiting the number that can be in view at a time, and if you need several, embed them together where they are visible together to lower the number of actual instances

Ok, that was the point! Thank you all,

I had several halls, when I disabled all the rooms except one, it worked fine. I'm using textures for the statisc images right now, but I guess I'd be using a sensor to enable/disable the media on the walls depending on in which room the user is. 

Thanks a lot

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4719 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.