Do most people stay with the SL day cycle or just set their viewer to noon?

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1311 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I like the day cycles. It makes things more interesting looking to me than some fixed day setting. Fixed noon setting is definitely the worst light setting what a place can have. Most often I just use the region settings. If the region default setting is not nice looking then I use something else. For some specific tasks I change the lighting to suit the task (such as when taking snapshots for example).

I use one of Firestorm’s no-shadows, as I don’t like the shading of even default Midday. The result is of course cartoonish flat, but practical. Every now & then I try the parcel’s or one in the library, but rarely appreciate its aesthetics over visibility.

Currently I use my sim's region default fixed sky (home made) which is 9 AM on a sunny mid-summer day.

image.thumb.png.0621571e323da2c143757da183b2ff67.png

From there I move the sun sliders around depending on where I want shadows to be -- if needed for screenshots. 

If I am BUILDING, then I have a Windlgiht setting that is purposefully flat with no shadows -- so that I can see what I am building with no "environmental" issues getting in the way. 

image.png.8b5f0b2da8b382b449816eef349b0dcc.png

I haven't used the default day cycle in over a decade and never liked noon.  I DO however test the local default lighting when I am setting up in an event. REALLY important.   

Neither. The day cycle windlights just give really horrible shadows. But these days i use the beta viewer so I change the sun position to remove the shadows. And in most of the regions the default lighting is legit horrible. So I mostly use my own windlights for everything.

I use Nam's Optimal Skin and Prim as my normal  day to day windlight, and have for years. I'd honestly forgotten we could even have day cycles until very recently >.<. Nam is bright enough to be mid-dayish setting, but with no ugly shadows.

Nam's Optimal Skin and Prim:

Nams.thumb.jpg.8a04d1aa5561270226ebcfd35033bae0.jpg

VS. 

Midday:

midday.jpg.b15aee46cf354a6c3fb8a49ef5711b71.jpg

• Like 2

Mid-day always WL.

Used EEP and what a time investment at every TP. So for now: Ick. 

After days went back to non-EEP release, and instantly really enjoying seeing clearly without a lot of fuss and fps again!

• Like 2

I made a day cycle (24 hours) that corresponds roughly to a fine summer day in Britain. I have applied it to our land. If I Tp to other places I sometimes apply it to myself or maybe one of my individual time of day settings from it. I've also made some 'club interior settings' so if I'm at an indoor club I choose one of those.

Edited by Conifer Dada
  • Like 1

I use the region default windlight/day cycle. If i am asked to accept a windlight for a parcel i'll try it once if i don't like it i'll ignore it every time i go back. If i'm going to take a pic i might experiment a bit on windlights if the default or accepted setting doesn't provide the right result. If i'm going to the effort of putting ALM and shadows on i tend to favour stuff that produces a shadow

12 hours ago, animats said:

Do most users actually stay with the SL day cycle (a 4 hour day, with one hour totally dark) or set their viewer to Midday and stay there? Has that changed since EEP?

Was a midday man for years. Then I discovered the quick prefs button and SS Atmos 13.00. Love it.

111.jpg

• Moles

Moles go to a lot of trouble to design local settings that match the mood of special builds like LDPW games ( think PaleoQuest or Linden Realms )  and seasonal regions like the Winter Wonderland, Halloween,  and Isle of View (Valentine's Day).  The moles who create textures and do all the landscaping always work in the custom EEP so that they know exactly what their work should look like to visitors.  I feel a little sad when people decide to ignore the atmospherics and go with a blah standard noon sky.  It really ruins the mood. 😯

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Dyna Mole said:

Moles go to a lot of trouble to design local settings that match the mood of special builds like LDPW games ( think PaleoQuest or Linden Realms )  and seasonal regions like the Winter Wonderland, Halloween,  and Isle of View (Valentine's Day).  The moles who create textures and do all the landscaping always work in the custom EEP so that they know exactly what their work should look like to visitors.  I feel a little sad when people decide to ignore the atmospherics and go with a blah standard noon sky.  It really ruins the mood. 😯

Thanks for pointing this out.  I have never really given it much thought, but now that you have posted this, I am going to pay more attention to using the region settings more often.

When out and about I rarely bother too much with what WL it is, if it's too dark I'll switch to Midday. When I'm demoing stuff, putting together a look or working on a pose I tend to go with AnaLu *studio* 5 (because the lighting is decent and it's quick and easy to grab from the Firestorm Quick Preferences by typing in-- Well, the first 4 letters of it). When doing photos, Phototools- No Light and using prims for light sources, 'cause I'm touchy about my lighting. Haven't gotten around to try EEP yet.

I mainly use one of the custom windlights from juicybomb I picked up years ago. They're first thing in my quick preferences, so no hassle. I may leave the sims windlight on if it's not too dark/shadowy. The custom windlights are well lit, but not flat.
I sometimes use a day cycle, custom one fom Penny Patton, because it looks good.

I use a WL I created myself.  When I am visiting destinations of interest, I use their WL first.  If I don't like it I revert to mine, unless doing photography.  Haven't used the midday in nine years.  Cringes at the thought of using the day cycle as I am too busy terraforming, sorting through inventory or tinkering on something.  I need consistent lighting.  

Edited by Cougar Sangria
Added a couple of sentences

I use the region default the vast majority of the time.  I really enjoy the day/night cycle, and I appreciate well thought out lighting, (and have a machine that can handle it, thankfully.)  That being said, I occasionally come across places that were clearly built by someone using a fixed windlight, and in those cases I'll switch to noon for visibility if I need to.

Also using Firestorm here, but I'm so excited for EEP.  I have an interior space that's already its own parcel for privacy, and I can't wait to have a custom windlight for it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1311 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.