Hair outline showing against dark backgrounds

Schatzi Timmerman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1332 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

As you can see, when I am against a dark background or wearing dark clothing, the outline of my Truth 'Delicate' shows up. This is not unlike a poorly trimmed video of a person in front of a chromakey. The color shows like a 'halo' (blue or green). When I adjust the hair (restyle), the effect disappears.

My question is what possibly causes this? As far as I can tell, no one else has commented on it in-world, so it seems to be a local problem (my viewer?).

DISCLAIMER: I am not knocking Truth hair or their products. Just attempting to find what might cause this outline problem.

!!SCHATZIHAIRPROBLEM_001.png

Edited by Schatzi Timmerman

4 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, Schatzi Timmerman said:

As you can see, when I am against a dark background or wearing dark clothing, the outline of my Truth 'Delicate' shows up. This is not unlike a poorly trimmed video of a person in front of a chromakey. The color shows like a 'halo' (blue or green). When I adjust the hair (restyle), the effect disappears.

My question is what possibly causes this? As far as I can tell, no one else has commented on it in-world, so it seems to be a local problem (my viewer?).

DISCLAIMER: I am not knocking Truth hair or their products. Just attempting to find what might cause this outline problem.

Not a dark background -- and alpha issue that has been with us from day one.  It is only more noticeable against dark water. Any alpha texture (trees and bushes for example) will have the same problem. 

Edit: Notice how you don't see the same issue when it is against your body? or the sky?   IF your top was "lace" though you would see the same issue as the texture on the garment would have an alpha layer.

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Not a dark background -- and alpha issue that has been with us from day one.  It is only more noticeable against dark water. Any alpha texture (trees and bushes for example) will have the same problem. 

Edit: Notice how you don't see the same issue when it is against your body? or the sky?   IF your top was "lace" though you would see the same issue as the texture on the garment would have an alpha layer.

I do have the same problem while wearing a lace top (on my back. Again, I restyle and the problem goes away). Ok, I can deal with that. That answers my question.

Thanks Chic.

• Like 1

This alpha rendering problem only appears with "Alpha Mode" : "Blended" -- but most hair textures won't be acceptable for any threshold setting of "Masked" alpha mode. It's often a valid choice for foliage, though, and may be acceptable for those lacey undergarments. I think you'll find that the problem only arises when both interacting alpha channels are rendering in blended mode. (This can also happen when certain eyelashes are viewed in front of hair.)

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1332 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.