How do we identify RC channel regions?

ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The channel identifier was removed by LL some months ago, @ChinRey.  The only way to know whether the region you are on is RC or Main is to look at the 6 digit number shown at the top of your viewer UI and reference it against the software version numbers shown on the Tech Forum Release Thread.

Apparently LL felt that knowing the Channel ID was prejudicing land buyers against the RC channel!...at least that's what was said.....

Edited by Aishagain
spelling
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

Apparently LL felt that knowing the Channel ID was prejudicing land buyers against the RC channel!...at least that's what was said.....

Makes perfect sense: Don't tell your customers what they are buying, let them figure it out for themselves. ;)

They ought to keep maturity ratings secret too. I mean, if people are prejudiced against RC regions (which I seriously doubt) it's nothing compared to how G rated ones suffer.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

@Nova Convair: Yes. That WAS one of the primary reasonings behind the change we were told, but in my experience this has simply exacerbated the confusion and inaccuracy of reports to LL Support.  It made sense but on the whole sense is not a frequent visitor to SL.  Maybe LL need to explain the process to the less comprehending in words of fewer syllables.

6 hours ago, Aishagain said:

It was to cut down on requests for support to move regions off a channel from land owners incorrectly attributing region problems to the channel the region was on.

18 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

It was to cut down on requests for support to move regions off a channel from land owners incorrectly attributing region problems to the channel the region was on.

What a silly reason if they actually said so. They could just restrict region moving between SLS and SLRC or between different RCs to like once-twice a month if it was really overloading the support that much. Or they could introduce the checkmark for private region owners (I don't have a solution for mainland, but since it's all LL owned it could stay as is) to select channel they want to keep their region at.

Or better yet, since we can restart regions from the debug console... LL could add a channel selection to it. I highly doubt it uses much different tools than usual restart. At least when my region got moved (without my request) from SLS to RC a couple of weeks ago and I asked support to move it back (yeah, no, I am not going to beta test stuff like happened a month ago on RC https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-229129 , nor do I enjoy extra rolling restarts that are needed for the rollback) it was moved in real time in the matter of a few seconds, just usual restart and it was back within 5 minutes on the SLS. Well, first time I asked rolling restarts were going on and they asked to wait until it's over. So they made a ticket, which was probably got put into queue, but when I asked again on the next day it really was the matter of a few seconds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steeljane42 said:

Or better yet, since we can restart regions from the debug console... LL could add a channel selection to it.

Not going to happen. Channels are bound to server hosts and there a limited amount they allot to each channel.

There has to be human-to-human coordination between departments to get that changed.

Also, the situation you just outlined is one they wish to deter even if it is a legit showstopper bug.

They wish to be in control of any potential mass exodus of problem channels.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Not going to happen. Channels are bound to server hosts and there a limited amount they allot to each channel.

There has to be human-to-human coordination between departments to get that changed.

Also, the situation you just outlined is one they wish to deter even if it is a legit showstopper bug.

They wish to be in control of any potential mass exodus of problem channels.

I see. Thanks for the techy details I wasn't aware of.

As for the rest, unless they'll hide absolutely all information (and not just from the obvious places visible in the viewer, but from all the logs as well) and will do restarts on the exact same day, then it's still will be easy to see where SLS and where RC is, since they get rolling restarts on a different days. And now with different versions (at times) between RCs it's also possible to figure which exact RC it is by going to sandboxes, like you already mentioned earlier.

I suppose LL knows better how much it has helped with channel swaps requests, but I still find it silly they actually offer that kind of support, yet try to hide it from the same users they offer this support to.

• Like 1

Many region owners are not into the technical aspect of things and are simply susceptible to popular opinion and/or rumors which, sadly, for years has been "If your region still has problems after a restart, try getting support to change the channel!".

Edited by Lucia Nightfire

My home parcel which I've had for over a year is on BlueSteel and I don't recall any rollbacks except the one earlier this year. In the case of the groups bug, that wasn't rolled back at all, and instead got rolled out to main channel for all to suffer.

An example of knowing which channel regions are on being useful was when the forced landing point was broken - having determined Magnum version was unaffected I could just go through my list of BlueSteel region LMs and quickly find another that had a forced landing point and put them into my bug report

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

In case LL is late to update the release schedule and regions have already rolled out new versions, you can also go to the RC sandbox regions to see which are on what version.

Yes probably but that's not the main problem. It's about the rolling restarts. From the deploy plan thread:

18 hours ago, Mazidox Linden said:

As always please plan events around these maintenance windows. However, if you are hosting an event on Tuesday or Wednesday when we're not deploying new code, you can restart your region ahead of time to avoid interruptions.

How are landowners supposed to plan around those maintenance windows if they don't know which day their region is restarted on? Does this mean we have to avoid major works and events on both days to be safe? You will figure it out eventually of course - until they change a region's channel that is - but once you do, the whole point of trying to hide it from the user is moot anyway.

@ChinRey:It is usually possible to figure out which channel (Main or RC) your region is on by looking at the version number (six digits) displayed next to the region name on the top of your viewer UI and cross-referencing this to the Restart thread post, which is usually (though not always, sadly) up by Wednesday of a given week. 

That "should" give you six days' warning of when the next Roll will occur.  Of course if your region is Main Channel and the RC code is NOT promoted then there most likely will be no Main Server Roll. 

THAT may or may not be announced in a timely manner! As Logan says above, if there is more than one code deployed to the RC channels it can be something of a guessing game as to what will be deployed to Main the following week but the "when" is comparatively easy to determine.

If your reaction to that is  "I see what you mean, it's as clear as mud", you are NOT alone! 😕

Edited by Aishagain

Note you only get the simulator version there if you have both the "Show location in top menu" and "Show simulator version in top menu" options of the User Interface preferences checked

(As location is in address bar I turned off the "Location" option - seemed pointless duplicating the address bar)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LoganPryor said:

Note you only get the simulator version there if you have both the "Show location in top menu" and "Show simulator version in top menu" options of the User Interface preferences checked

I don't see simulator version in the top menu, and I have both options checked.

To see the simulator I need go to Help/About Firestorm and look under Second Life Server 2020-08-17T21:59:51.547110

1 hour ago, Jaylinbridges said:

I don't see simulator version in the top menu, and I have both options checked.

To see the simulator I need go to Help/About Firestorm and look under Second Life Server 2020-08-17T21:59:51.547110

you only see the build number, not the full name with all that date crud: Since the build number is unique, that's all you need to determine if main channel or RC

So today's RC: https://prnt.sc/u6hvqx 

And main channel: https://prnt.sc/u6hv0w

And in other news... I notice they've shuffled some regions around between Main & RC channels. As you can see Sandbox Wanderton is now on an RC, if you want to do RC testing

ETA: Looks like Magnum didn't roll today and remained on 547110 and the premium channel named sandboxes are back on their respective channels

Edited by LoganPryor
  • Thanks 1

On 8/26/2020 at 3:39 PM, LoganPryor said:

you only see the build number, not the full name with all that date crud:

I still don't see what you do - Is this a new addition to the latest Firestorm?  

https://i.gyazo.com/52b97f443fc6e26d8c5a8f589522aae3.png

No build number listed anywhere.

Edited by Jaylinbridges

1 hour ago, Jaylinbridges said:

https://i.gyazo.com/52b97f443fc6e26d8c5a8f589522aae3.png

No build number listed anywhere.

Could be FS version, as i'm using  6.3.9.58205 - guessing maybe the change in way SL server versions were named broke older versions like yours.

How the server info is displayed may well differ with the viewer User-Interface skin you use.  On the vintage skin that @Jaylinbridges uses it may not display in the same way as more v3 type skins.  Odaks uses the same as me and I can get the server version info up on the top bar by clicking on it and selecting the info that I want.  That "should" be the same on the vintage skin but wiser folk than I (eg Whirly or Willow) can be more authoritative on that. Anyway as Odaks says it is all available in Help>about Firestorm.

Edited by Aishagain
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LoganPryor said:

Could be FS version, as i'm using  6.3.9.58205 - guessing maybe the change in way SL server versions were named broke older versions like yours.

5 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

You can see the version number at the top of the viewer .. IF you enable it. This hasn't changed, and it's the same options we used to display the channel name, only now its the simulator version. Just right click the black bar and enable the option to show simulator version

image.png.f50d95c600991c193ed50b9be92ab3dc.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HunniHope said:

You can see the version number at the top of the viewer .. IF you enable it. This hasn't changed, and it's the same options we used to display the channel name, only now its the simulator version. Just right click the black bar and enable the option to show simulator version

Actually it has changed. I was using Firestorm 6.3.2 version, and they still use "Simulator Channel" in the drop-down, which is why I do not see the simulator version.  Mine lists nothing in that field.  Finally a reason to install the latest Firestorm version, w/ all the EEP bloat I never use. 

On second thought, I have no intentions of upgrading to the latest FS version or the EEP Beta - from the 140 comments on 6.3.9 alone, it has more bugs and stability problems than 6.3.2.  If I want HD snapshots I can use another 3rd party viewer.

2012561277_SimulatorUI-crop.thumb.png.12f8a632863becfe209c29ddaaa9aba3.png

Edited by Jaylinbridges

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.