The Shelter

Lewis Luminos

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 611 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just heard that The Shelter is closing down at the end of August, after 16 years.  This makes me sad - it was pretty much where I "grew up" in my early days in SL.  Apparently the build is going to be preserved by Linden Lab as a heritage site, which is nice, but this is a great loss to SL. The closing event is at 7pm SLT on Sunday 30 August.

Me at the Shelter, in 2008:

old_2.jpg.bbba9c50a37a30a0e751e8bdb2205e12.jpg

Edited by Lewis Luminos
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 10

I've often guided new people to The Shelter, as I knew it was a safe and helpful place for them to visit; I went there myself in my early days.  It's one of those places you think will always be there, but if the humans running it want to retire I fully understand.  Thank you all who gave of your time and resources to look after new people and bring something positive to SL.

• Like 7

It is a warm, safe and welcoming place where people new to Second Life could go to get help with anything from how to use an AO, how to unpack boxes or how to add clothing to your avi.

They pretty much helped with anything a new resident could need help with including the social aspect of Second Life. They also have freebie items to help people get started and landmarks of interest they can give out when residents feel they want to explore.

I spent my entire first month between The Shelter and Faery Crossing (when Faery Crossing was still a starting area we could choose to begin in.) The people at The Shelter are volunteers who are extremely patient and kind. I remember my first time visiting there this nice guy actually went out of his way to ask why I wasn't interacting with others and standing in the corner like a tiny wallflower. They were having a dance there. I just honestly said I was scared and shy. He spent the next three hours of his time dancing and chatting with me. Answering any question I had. He was so kind and I don't even remember his name which at the moment rather breaks my heart in light of them closing. It was back in 2009.

They are the most thorough and kindest welcoming committee for new residents. I don't know how they came into existence which also saddens me now, but I hope this helps @Syo Emerald. 😊

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I was a bit surprised to learn it was closing, not just scaling back. There was a lot there, though the number of people seemed to be dropping. It's pretty recent that the formal confirmation was released/

It was a rather large site, with a maze of corridors and rooms running East from the road and down to the sea.

• Like 1

It was there I learned what fun it was to dance in line and chat.

A guy called Baron something asked me if I would host at his club, which may have meant something else, but I avoid real work in SL so it didn't happen.

When I wasn't there I was at NCI Kuula. Happy times there as a newbie.

Edited by BelindaN
  • Like 2

The Shelter was just one of those places you go to as a new resident. I used to go there, NCI, Free Dove and Yadni's. All good things must come to an end eventually. The owners should be happy to have made such a wonderful place in SL for so many years. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Daniel Voyager said:

Very sad news its closing down. 

The ticker board on the wall is the only thing I can see that says its closing. Is there a notecard or announcement about this from the shelter owners ? 

Yes Daniel, the announcement was made in the Shelter Members' group on Monday.

The Shelter was my first home in Second Life and I still go by and hang out from time to time. As others have mentioned, it was always a welcoming place for both newbies and old-timers. I know for quite some time it was my home location and the dressing rooms are where I learned to change clothes. The volunteer staff was always amazing and made it safe for everyone.

It is very sad to see it closing but I am glad that it will become a preserved site, especially the roof top memorial garden for members who have been lost over the years.

Thanks to all who worked so hard to make The Shelter such an awesome place for so many years. ♥

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/25/2020 at 2:38 AM, Lewis Luminos said:

I just heard that The Shelter is closing down at the end of August, after 16 years.  This makes me sad - it was pretty much where I "grew up" in my early days in SL.  Apparently the build is going to be preserved by Linden Lab as a heritage site, which is nice, but this is a great loss to SL. The closing event is at 7pm SLT on Sunday 30 August.

Me at the Shelter, in 2008:

old_2.jpg.bbba9c50a37a30a0e751e8bdb2205e12.jpg

Hmm.. I have been there a few times in the past. Sometimes wandered back by there just to see what was going on at times.

Well this just proves nothing is forever.. That all things come to and end eventually. Even in virtual reality.

Since more than one person has asked me for a copy of the notice, I'm posting it here:

Shelter Closure 
--------------------

As I'm sure you will have heard by now The Shelter will be closing it's doors as of Sunday 30th August 2020 8 PM SLT, 

The reasons for this are numerous and too lengthy for this note, but it is not all bad news as The Shelter building will be Archived by the Lindens and will remain in world for as long as SecondLife is around

I know a great many of you have considered The Shelter home and I am sorry to all of you, I hope you will continue to enjoy you SecondLife's 

The main Shelter Group will remain in place but no new members will be admitted the Infra group will be closed down and all members removed 

The final Events will be:

Saturday 29th   1 PM    Theme Dance
                            7 PM    Pool Party

Sunday 30th     1 PM    Voice Sunday
                            7 PM    Formal Dance

The theme Dances will both have Double Prize Money for their final outing and Wacoede will be DJ'ing the final Pool Party as he was the first DJ for the pool Party 

To all the Vendors of the Shelter you have until the 30th to come pick up your items or they will be returned as a coalesced object 

To all the Tier Donors feel free to remove your tier contributions but as I said above all members will be removed from the infra group on the 30th

Regards 

Shelter Leadership

Wacoede Unplugged
Shadow Pidgeon 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

39 minutes ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

P.S.  What's a Heritage Site?

builds once owned and made by residents that are of historical importance and preserved by Linden

Tower of Prims is one. The big boat thing now beside Belli is another. Mont Saint Michel another. Svarga as well I think. A original art music region who's name I can't remember. Might be some others as well

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mollymews said:

builds once owned and made by residents that are of historical importance and preserved by Linden

Tower of Prims is one. The big boat thing now beside Belli is another. Mont Saint Michel another. Svarga as well I think. A original art music region who's name I can't remember. Might be some others as well

Is the music region Chou Chou? I really liked that place.

5 hours ago, AdminGirl said:

Is the music region Chou Chou? I really liked that place.

i think that was its name yes.  Was a post quite a while now on here about Chou Chou closing down and Patch Linden came on here and said he was reaching out to the owners to see what could be done about preserving it. Not sure of the exact details of how that turned out tho

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 611 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.