BOM HELP PLEASE!

Namiuki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1336 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I've purchased this skin for BOM, and its not applying to my body as well. I have the head down packed, but the body isn't willing to work with me . I have the BOM HUDS and Activators and nothing is working. It keeps giving me trouble. 

It might be helpful if you let us know which body and head you have, and which BOM skin you're trying to wear, because there could be some little differences between settings on HUDs for different brands. 

Are you saying your head is red now?  I think that happens when you have the mesh head set to BOM, but are still wearing an alpha.  Some body alphas also include the head, so you might want to look in your folders for your body to see if there is an alpha that does not cover the head, to at least address that part of the issue until you get the body part worked out. 

When you say "isn't working", can you be a bit more specific about how it isn't working?

• Like 1

Did you follow the steps as shown on the link Sassy posted above?  Removing your mesh head and body, then wearing the BOM skin (and seeing it on the system body), then adding the Lara body and Lara HUD back, going to the skin/base tab and clicking the Bakes on Mesh button?  What is your result, and at what step in that process does it not work as described in that link? 

what you probably have is just a head tattoo which is why the face is changing and not the body, this is not an uncommon practise with skin stores. But to get the body to change you will need to get the corresponding body skin to match the tone you have for the head

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Namiuki said:

I have Maitreya Lara, Im Using BABE skin and No , the only think i have on is My Genus babyface head, the Maitreya.  body V5.2 and the Body HUD... 

Going to the BABE store on the Marketplace some skins are JUST HEADS while the newest ones "may" be with the body. It doesn't say and they are 900 lindens so hopefully there is a BOM full  body SKIN in the pack. BABE does NOT have a a BOM body on the Marketplace.  So you could try the Omega version I guess. But I didn't find a demo for that. 

DID YOU TRY A DEMO BEFORE BUYING YOUR HEAD skin????

That is the mantra here on the forums :D.  

You may just be stuck.  Honestly reading the marketplace listings didn't give me a lot of positive vibes LOL.   

So it appears that what you have is JUST the head and not the body. IF you use the Omega applier there is no reason to assume it will match your head perfectly. That is one good thing about BOM all in one body and heads -- there is seldom a line in the skin (there may still be a line showing up in the MESH but that's a different issue. 

Good luck. 

DEMO DEMO DEMO :D

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Namiuki said:

I followed that.. Seems like everything im doing isnt working. Now im stuck with a BOM Head( the red head) even in my old saved bodies from before. 

If the head is red, it means you are wearing the alpha layer. Take it off.

And you can't use your old saved outfits, they'll be saved as the original applier versions. You will have to re-save your old outfits with the new BOM body/head and without the alphas. (Or use Firestorm's auto-replace feature).

• Like 1

Ok, so I get that this will be a traumatic change.

Is it really worth the hassle?

I can use an alt to work it through, but I'm thinking I can leave my saved outfits with an older head and body and just mess one outfit up with the latest head and body?

Until I get a handle on it.....

Just read the blog ^^^^ what could possibly go wrong........

:)

Edited by BelindaN
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

...but I'm thinking I can leave my saved outfits with an older head and body and just mess one outfit up with the latest head and body?

Are you familiar with the Firestorm Replace Links tool? Updating your outfits in a couple of easy flushes is a piece of cake with it. All you need is a bit of organisation with your head and body files.

I'd start with putting your original applier components in a folder named "Originals to fall back to", for example. These are the files you used as a base in your saved outfits.

Now make new folders and get fresh copies of your components for your BOM update, like "BOM head" / "BOM body" as folders. Store fresh copies of your mesh components inside and style them to your liking. Those will replace the original ones in your outfits.

Now, to replace the links to those files, right-click the original one and choose "replace links..." from the menu. A new window will pop up, the original file in the upper line. Drag the new component into the second line. In the lower part, you'll see a number saying how many instances of your original file will be replaced. Hit the button to get started and wait for the little counter to run through.

Rinse and repeat for other components.

To get rid of unneeded alphas or so, drag the alpha file into the upper line and check the "delete links only" box and let it work.

Voila, outfits up to date.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Are you familiar with the Firestorm Replace Links tool? Updating your outfits in a couple of easy flushes is a piece of cake with it. All you need is a bit of organisation with your head and body files.

I'd start with putting your original applier components in a folder named "Originals to fall back to", for example. These are the files you used as a base in your saved outfits.

Now make new folders and get fresh copies of your components for your BOM update, like "BOM head" / "BOM body" as folders. Store fresh copies of your mesh components inside and style them to your liking. Those will replace the original ones in your outfits.

Now, to replace the links to those files, right-click the original one and choose "replace links..." from the menu. A new window will pop up, the original file in the upper line. Drag the new component into the second line. In the lower part, you'll see a number saying how many instances of your original file will be replaced. Hit the button to get started and wait for the little counter to run through.

Rinse and repeat for other components.

To get rid of unneeded alphas or so, drag the alpha file into the upper line and check the "delete links only" box and let it work.

Voila, outfits up to date.

Thank you! You make it sound so easy!

Soon as I get some quiet time........ I'll wheel in an alt and make her suffer the embarrassment of change.

So yesterday I started out using Ellie as my test bed.

I have the Genus BoM Relay, and I redelivered Lara v5.2. I also redelivered her MILA skin which now has BoM included.

I followed the simple steps above, and it was very easy to do. The skin, lashes, shadow, lipstick and eyes all went on fine and I'm thinking....."this is a piece of cake".

But then, I tried one hair and it didn't fit right. It was conflicting with something across her forehead. I tried all her hairs, and only the old simple textures worked.

One of the old Truth hairs has a hair alpha. I added that out of curiosity and it fixed the forehead. But I had to use an unrigged hair and expand the width to get a decent fit. The head sliders are the same as for the pre BoM head, and the hairs fit perfectly.  So what's going on? In the link above is a link for making your own alphas, so I made a new hair alpha (Woot!!!) and I'm using this now. But why doesn't this hair alpha turn the top of her head red??

Below is two before and after shots. This is my theory........somehow the hair is interacting with the system head. Some hairs change texture without the alpha, and the second before shows this. So unless I'm missing something obvious, if I stay with Genus, I will need to revisit every hair. I will try some resizing later, and I've also got some Lelutka demos, so still a work in progress.

SL41.png

SL40.png

SL42.png

SL43.png

57 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

This is my theory........somehow the hair is interacting with the system head.

You're getting close ;) It's actually interacting with the system hair. Remember that alpha layers hide all old system layers - system skin, system eyes, and system hair - so that we can wear mesh heads and bodies? Well now because we remove our alpha layers in order to use BoM we will sometimes run into this specific issue.

Here's your solution:

With mesh heads, we only see the eyebrow shape sliders of our system hair being actively used, which is why you only ever find it being called a 'brow shaper' these days. That's the thing you need to edit. Find the brow shaper in the Worn tab of your inventory and edit it. Go into the Style tab, and pull all of the sliders to zero, then save it. That will fix the problem.

Why it's happening:

Before mesh came along - when we were all wearing prim and sculpt hair and mesh heads didn't exist - the system hairbase was often called a 'bald base' or 'bald cap'. We grew accustomed to having to edit it and zero all of those Style tab sliders so the fugly system hair didn't show through. We would then wear tattoo hairbases (the precursor of applier hairbases, and now coming back into use as BoM hairbases) to put hair texture on our heads and colour in (or hide) any gaps where our heads poked through our hair.

When mesh heads came along, some creators cut corners. Realising that people would be wearing alpha layers to hide their heads anyway, they didn't bother zeroing those sliders. Instead, they just applied a transparent texture to the system hair (you'll notice when you edit it that there's a texture box at the top of the Style tab) and changed the sliders for the eyebrows, to use it as a brow shaper. That's very likely what's happened in your case. When you edit your brow shaper you'll probably notice a blank transparent texture in that box, but not all of Style sliders will be at zero.

Now that we're taking off our alpha layers in order to use BoM, we're seeing who those corner-cutting creators were! The good old OpenGL Z-buffer alpha glitch so prevalent in Second Life causes the transparent texture on the system hairbase to clash with the semi-transparent textures of your mesh hair, and hence you see the "halo" of the system hair glitching out your mesh hair.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

I had the same issues with Maitreya/Genus and I forget all of the mind-numbing, secret handshake things, but the trick was alphas plus wearing the system skin and tattoo. But I am using Clef de Peau skins so...

Technology, amirite?

Bookmark Skell's blog. And posts. Seriously. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are there any ideas why system hair is acting up like this lately? I first noticed this effect on m-alt #1, who had worn the same hair base for over a year. Suddenly, while trying on a new hair demo, that aura showe up out of the blue. Clueless me figured that I must have broken some alpha rendering component at one point, until Marianne pointed out the hair volume bug in a thread here.

3 hours ago, BelindaN said:

Thanks @Skell DaggerSkell. Really useful information as always. Bxx

You're very welcome :)

18 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

So much to learn.......................it never ends

I know. Great, isn't it? LOL! I love learning new stuff. Keeps me on my toes.

2 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Are there any ideas why system hair is acting up like this lately? I first noticed this effect on m-alt #1, who had worn the same hair base for over a year. Suddenly, while trying on a new hair demo, that aura showe up out of the blue. Clueless me figured that I must have broken some alpha rendering component at one point, until Marianne pointed out the hair volume bug in a thread here.

If it's a hairstyle from a new-to-you creator then it could simply be down to how they've handled the alpha settings on the hair. If your old hair creator had it set to alpha masking with the perfect mask value set, you wouldn't see that glitch. But if the new creator has it set to alpha blend, then the glitch will happen.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1336 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.