Wearing mutually exclusive objects

Pombokom

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1334 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have acquired a necklace. I have acquired a vest. Whenever I wear one, the other disappears and is no longer worn. I saw this discussed somewhere but have no idea what forum it would fit into. Do you have any clues as to how to address this? Thank you. (Both are modifiable and I have edited each, so that they would fit.)

2 answers to this question

Elaborating a bit on Rolig's answer...

Things you put on your avatar are of two types:  texture layers, and attached 3D objects.

Texture layers are things like skin, tattoos, and classic clothing layers like shirt, undershirt, pants, underpants, jacket, etc.  There is an intrinsic priority to them...for instance, a shirt will "cover over" an undershirt, tattoo, or skin layer.  But, unlike in the old days, we can now wear up to 62 different texture layers, by using the ADD command instead of Wear.  If you ADD a jacket over another jacket, it will appear on top of the previous one.

There are a total of 47 attachment points on your avatar.  These have designations like Right Hand, Nose, Pelvis, Left Ear, etc.  Nine of the points are screen attachment points for your HUDs.  By using the ADD command, you can wear more than one object on a given attachment point.  For example, you could wear 47 earrings on your right ear, and go around all bald and tilted over by the weight.  However, your total attachments cannot exceed the number of your attachment points.

If you have something on an attachment point...let's say Skull, for some hair...using Wear will remove that attachment and replace it with the new one.  If you have more than one thing on that point, only the one you added last will be removed and replaced.  Using ADD keeps all the current attachments in place, and merely adds the new one.

Whether you Wear or Add an attachment, it attaches to the last attachment point it was on.  To move it, you must use the Attach To: command and specify an attachment point.  You will probably also have to edit the attachment to get it into the correct position and orientation when you use a new point.

Because most creators lazily leave the right hand as the attachment point for their clothes, we can end up with quite a lot of things attached there.  It's been said that too many attachments on one point can cause some or all of them to become detached during a teleport.  So, when you unpack new clothes and try them on, you may want to use Attach To and choose a logical spot for them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1334 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.