Is it possible to script control of video sound in media on a prim?

Leda Sands

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1334 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My partner and I are working on a project to show videos of rl scenes, including webcams, as if seen through the windows in our skybox, using media on a prim to show the video. Movement and sound contribute greatly to immersion.

We are now adding windows that 'open' and 'close'. We want to have the video sound level increase and decrease automatically (probably just come on and go off) when the windows open and close.

Can anyone suggest how this might be done (and even if it's possible)?

29 minutes ago, Phate Shepherd said:

You can start and stop media via script, but I don't believe you can control volume level. You may just have to stop the video. Automatic control of media on prim does rely on client settings being set to allow it.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlSetLinkMedia

Yes, we're just discovering how each user will experience media according to their own settings. So it probably can't be done.

1 hour ago, Leda Sands said:

Yes, we're just discovering how each user will experience media according to their own settings. So it probably can't be done.

One common trick is to use an instructional graphic on the face of the prim you use for media. If they have media turned off, the graphic will show telling them how to turn it on. If they have it on, they never see the graphic, only the media.

Oh, that's an idea: use a static snapshot of the media as the surface texture, then when the window is "open" llSetLinkMedia(PRIM_MEDIA_AUTO_PLAY) and when the window is "closed" call llClearLinkMedia(). It's not exactly what was asked because when closed, it's not only silent but also static, and only works in viewers with media auto-play enabled, but that's kinda inevitable.

If Parcel Media were an option, you could do much the same with _PLAY and _PAUSE commands.

(Best I could come up with was to carve out a separate parcel for the media on the outside of the window, and task a bot to toggle About Land / Sound / "Restrict gesture and object sounds to this parcel" to match the window's open/closed state... except even if one had a bot at one's disposal, I'm not at all sure this toggle actually affects shared media. Probably not, now that I think about it.)

12 hours ago, Phate Shepherd said:

One common trick is to use an instructional graphic on the face of the prim you use for media. If they have media turned off, the graphic will show telling them how to turn it on. If they have it on, they never see the graphic, only the media.

That sounds feasible but will it work for media on a prim or just for parcel media?

12 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Oh, that's an idea: use a static snapshot of the media as the surface texture, then when the window is "open" llSetLinkMedia(PRIM_MEDIA_AUTO_PLAY) and when the window is "closed" call llClearLinkMedia(). It's not exactly what was asked because when closed, it's not only silent but also static, and only works in viewers with media auto-play enabled, but that's kinda inevitable.

If Parcel Media were an option, you could do much the same with _PLAY and _PAUSE commands.

(Best I could come up with was to carve out a separate parcel for the media on the outside of the window, and task a bot to toggle About Land / Sound / "Restrict gesture and object sounds to this parcel" to match the window's open/closed state... except even if one had a bot at one's disposal, I'm not at all sure this toggle actually affects shared media. Probably not, now that I think about it.)

We'll experiment with this too, thanks:))

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1334 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.