Randomly shutting down

Mystical Loon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1340 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

For a few weeks now, I have been trying to use my new desktop that is hardwired to play SL. It runs for about between 10 mins and maybe and hour (if I'm lucky) then shuts off for no reason. Ive tried rolling back to a older version. Granted this started happening when i had dl the new version. It always lets me log back in with no hesitant. BUT seems it will run a little longer maybe an hr and im out again. Ive tried everything it seems. I have no trouble loggin in on my laptop. and doesn't seem like there's a over heating issue with the desktop. I can run steam all day long with no interruptions. 

35e4347b3ea02a405e77d96b8a69d001.png

12 answers to this question

You didn't indicate which SL viewer you are using, but if you could log into SL on the PC you're having issues with, go to "Help -> About <viewer name>" and then copy the info from the pop-up box and paste it here, that will give us some better information about your PC when logged into SL.   Someone might be able to see something in that info that will provide some clues towards what might be causing your problems.  

The information you provided does not say anything about your graphics card, which is often the component that takes the heaviest load while you are in SL. If you copy/paste the information that Moira requested, that would give us a little more to go on.  The other component that can be overworked is your power supply.  If the system is trying to draw more power than the supply can handle, it can shut things down to keep from overheating.

The i3-6100 is not a super CPU, but it should be able to handle SL.  It's on the low end, compared to other CPUs commonly used in gaming machines, but it has a high clock speed and dual cores. It's been around for a while. @Nalates Urriah could tell you more about it than I can.

be31408d35638764a8752c11c849ea7e.png

I was looking at the back of my tower just now and it seems like its not hot. but where the Ethernet cords plugs into .theres two lights there one is green and one is blinking yellow orange, not sure if that has anything to do with it. I was thinking maybe its my net but as I said before the computer runs everything else i do with no problem. 

12 minutes ago, Mystical Loon said:

I was looking at the back of my tower just now and it seems like its not hot.

by the time you feel heat there the flames will show at the front  :)
It can be for sure be your connection. wired ? Wifi? ...packet loss?
If you have interuptions in the connection SL will handle that bad too... but most other programs won't be affected by it

Get some hard information to work with. Get the free program HWMonitor and see what the temperatures actually are.

Look in the Windows Event Log. Google will tell you how to do that. Notice the time that your viewer shuts down and go to that time in the logs and see what is happening.

Open up the viewer's log after it shuts down to see what is going on. Here are the steps and what you'll be looking at.

When there is no obvious cause for a problem, collect data until a reason shows up.

• Like 1

Hiya @Mystical Loon

On 8/23/2020 at 5:23 PM, Mystical Loon said:

No it just exits Firestorm. My computer doesnt shut down at all. 

Ok, so it's a viewer crash or disconnect.

I found some viewer crashes from you in Bugsplat - thanks for enabling crash reporting!
There are 5 viewer crashes from you between 06-08-2020 and 07-26-2020.
3 of the crashes were in the 64bit Intel graphics driver ig9icd64.
The other 2 were known crashes, Firestorm_Releasex64!`anonymous namespace'::makeMap and Firestorm_Releasex64!LLMeshRepoThread::fetchMeshLOD.

However all these crashes appear to be on a different system because it has Intel graphics and the CPU is Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U

What happens when Firestorm crashes on the new computer?
A) You get a notification saying you have been disconnected from Second Life or that the region is experiencing trouble, with the option to view IM/Quit
B) The viewer freezes & never recovers & you have to force quit.
C) The viewer closes to desktop with no error message.
D) The viewer closes to desktop with an error message from Firestorm - if so,  what's the error message.
E) The viewer closes & you get an error saying "Firestorm has stopped working" from Windows.
F) Something else.

Please can you check that you have enabled crash reporting for Firestorm on your new computer.
Go to Preferences -> Crash Reports.
Make sure that "Send crash reports.." is ticked.
Also make sure that "Include Second Life name" is ticked so I can find your crashes in Bugsplat.
After changing these settings, relog - if you crash before relogging after changing these settings, the crash won't be sent.

Thanks  :)

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1340 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.