llCastRay breakdown

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1341 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

At 5:37 AM today, in Brussiac, llCastRay stopped working. Three of four NPCs there started getting a status of -2 from llCastRay, indicating the sim was out of ray cast resources.This persisted for several minutes. I've never seen that happen before. A second or two, yes, but not minutes. The fourth NPC reported trouble at 5:39 AM. (It may have been stationary and not doing ray casts at 5:37.) All NPCs tripped their stall timers, reported trouble, reset all scripts, and restarted OK.

I've never seen a drain on ray cast resources like that before. Is someone trying a land survey bot or something that makes vast numbers of llCastRay calls? It takes a lot of llCastRay calls to overload a sim; it's hard to do from one object. Or is there some other kind of resource drain that could do this?

Edited by animats

I see this happen often when Physics time is elevated in the sim. Doesn't need to be in time dilation, and may even have Spare Time, but when Physics gets high enough, llCastRay will fail for "sim performance" (and Scripts Run % and Script Time will get reduced, I guess capped to make ample room for Havok).

I don't find "Brussiac" but Xanthorhoe is the region where I encounter this most often.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1341 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.