What are some of your favorite quotes?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 847 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

"If life gives you lemons, throw them back and demand chocolate."

--Saw it as the signature on someone's forum profile once many years ago.

I love it because it speaks to over-coming obstacles more than the general phrase.

"The walls are there to test how much you want something."

--The Last Lecture.

This has helped me understand what I want to do with my life. Walls have stopped me in all endeavors except one, and that one seems to be where my future lies.

"Even if you're not on the right track, if you just sit there, you're gonna get run over."

--Cowboys of Moo Mesa (I think I just dated myself... oh well).

This feels like something I would come up with, because there's both conviction and hope in it, at least that's how I see it. I've taken some wrong tracks in my life, but I never stopped going even so. If I had, I'd still be nowhere at all. And even the wrong tracks still helped me find the right one most of the time, if only by me realizing "okay, this ain't the right one like I thought it was."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Heard this from bestie, not sure of the original source; "Society loves its' dead rebels and live conformists"

Edited to add:

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth" -Mike Tyson

Edited by Han Held

"Sociality has profound evolutionary roots and is observed from unicellular organisms to multicellular animals," Picard and Sandi write. "In line with the view that social principles apply across levels of biological complexity, a growing body of data highlights the remarkable social nature of mitochondria."

They continue: "Similar to individuals among social networks, mitochondria communicate with each other and with the cell nucleus, exhibit group formation and interdependence, synchronize their behaviors, and functionally specialize to accomplish specific functions within the organism. Mitochondria are social organelles."

Of course, if mitochondria are conscious beings, that would mean we have trillions and trillions of these brainless beings chilling throughout literally every cell of our bodies. That idea may seem absurd until you consider a scientific concept which could explain it: Panpsychism, or the idea that consciousness is inextricably linked to all matter and simply grows stronger as a physical object become more complex.

(from https://www.salon.com/2021/07/23/panpsychism-the-idea-that-inanimate-objects-have-consciousness-gains-steam-in-science-communities/ )

Arthur C. Clarke's 3 laws, although generally only the last one is frequently quoted. He is one of my personal hero's.

1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
  2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
  3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
  • Like 2

On 7/23/2021 at 9:10 PM, Maitimo said:

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world. the Master calls a butterfly."

Richard Bach

I actually corresponded with Richard Bach in the 80s and have some personal letters from him. His one book Illusions, and a lot of D&D, actually got me through some mentally tough times.

To the OP ... I love this little quote ...

"Blondes get noticed. Redheads get remembered."

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

I actually corresponded with Richard Bach in the 80s and have some personal letters from him. His one book Illusions, and a lot of D&D, actually got me through some mentally tough times.

To the OP ... I love this little quote ...

"Blondes get noticed. Redheads get remembered."

Wow, I bet those are interesting letters. I love Illusions, and Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

I love your quote too. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 847 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.