Is Second life a virus?

BotName4k

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1339 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Everytime I am playing this game. My screen goes black.  Then a message pops up in my notification bar saying " Application second has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware" This is the only game where it happens. It doesn't happen in games like GTA V or Warframe. Only on second life. Could this because my computer is trying to protect me from as virus?

4 answers to this question

Perhaps your graphics card is overheated.  SL puts a different type of load on your computer resources than other games like GTA V or Warframe.

I don't know what type of system you have, but you might want to look for a free app that will monitor graphic card temperatures, and see if that might be the problem.   I have a windows PC and use TechPowerUp GPU-Z, but there are other apps that do similar monitoring, for Windows and for other platforms.  

It sounds like you are using Windows and then Windows Defender for your AV. In general you can get a bit better performance and have fewer problems if you whitelist the viewer's install folder. You can Google how to whitelist in your AV program.

The SL viewer is virus free... assuming you got it from the Linden-Second Life website. The same for most white-hat third-party viewers. There are some black-hat viewers. But you have to go looking for them. 

The data used in SL is virus free too. When users upload stuff it goes through a check and the format is changed. The format change makes it extremely difficult to get a virus into the system.

When I was getting that message, the culprit was a crap HDD controller whose vendor did not provide an updated driver.  The compatibility mode driver and the hdd controller did not get along and caused filesystem I/O timeouts.   I got the impression that anything that caused a bus timeout was causing the graphics system to be blamed.  I disabled the hdd controller on the main board and installed a good one in a pcie slot.  That was the end of that issue.  Several months later something in Windows 10 evolved to require a chipset driver update.  Since the vendor did not provide one, MS had none to install, and the computer stopped taking feature updates.  Time to retire the beast, in that case.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1339 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.