End of an Era, no more Pods.

Anna Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1339 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 minutes ago, BJoyful said:

(Re rez stations) Yesssss  Please!!!! ♥♥♥  What an interesting idea!

That could work. New user areas on mainland and Linden info hubs should also be transit stations, from which you can get tours and transportation to other points of interest.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, animats said:

That could work. New user areas on mainland and Linden info hubs should also be transit stations, from which you can get tours and transportation to other points of interest.

Do you know any clever Scripters, animats??  ;D Oh wait... you ARE one of those!

• Haha 1

I presume the issue is server related. While I cannot operate land(I don't have monies for much land, unless it is on already crowded zindra land), if she needs a web server, I would be more than willing to help out and offer the assistance of my server(it has no intents on going anywhere for decades, too many things plugged into it), free of charge. In my opinion, the pods are a historical significance in Second Life's history.

Edited by Chaser Zaks
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

a thing that I have always thought would be useful and for which people I think would be happy to pay for

- there is the route server as it is now

- there is a route client script provided by Yavanna which we can drop into our own vehicle which allows us to connect to the route server. When connected then our vehicle script can pass control to the route server (touring mode). When disconnected then control is passed back to our script and our vehicle can be operated normally 

- connect/disconnect can be done thru a Linkmessage API

- the route client script can be sold to us as NoModify+ Copy+NoTransfer (special deal for commercial vehicle builders: NoMod+Copy+Transfer) 

a caveat which will save everybody (Linden, Yavanna and residents) a whole lot of angst over road clutter. The route client script will only connect when there is an avatar sitting on the vehicle. When the avatar(s) dismount/stand then the route client script auto-disconnects

Edited by Mollymews
a
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, animats said:

Oh, no. I've met Yavanna in world. I hope she makes it.

Yavanna is recovering. She still needs a lot of time of course but there is no reason to believe she won't fully recover.

As for the Yavapods, we'll see what happens next week when somebody from LL notices they are gone. What is very clear is that the Lindens who were assigned to the case misunderstood the situation and did not realise their decision made it effectively impossible for Yavanna to continue the Yavapod routes. It was clearly not a deliberate policy change and they probably are (or will be) just as surprised as us.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I would not oppose them if they had STATIONS where they could be REZZED ON DEMAND. The Lindens could use their considerable amount of roadside land to put some pod stations where anyone could come and rez one.

It's obvious you don't know what you are talking about by this one statement, by itself. You can go to ANY pod station and immediately rez a pod by just clicking on the route marker. You don't have to wait, you click the marker, it pops into existence and you get on. You don't even have to wait for it to start. Just click on the pod and it will start moving immediately.

Edited by timeandspaceanddreams
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, timeandspaceanddreams said:

You can go to ANY pod station and immediately rez a pod by just clicking on the route marker. You don't have to wait, you click the marker, it pops into existence and you get on.

i think Prokofy was meaning that the LDPW provide the land for the pod rez stations and not have Yavanna/residents provide the land.  And if it was LDPW land then the pods would be on demand, and not set up to run the routes empty without passengers

• Like 1

There are a GREAT number of residents who explore mainland via the pods.

The thing is they've evolved into an elaborate network, and avid riders have enjoyed making connections to visit other areas by meeting up with other pods.  Or they left you at an island or area of interest where in 20-30 minutes you could continue your journey with the next scheduled pod. Now this won't be possible.

Also if there is a bad region crossing there isn't another pod to follow. Once there is a crash you're done.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

i think Prokofy was meaning that the LDPW provide the land for the pod rez stations and not have Yavanna/residents provide the land.  And if it was LDPW land then the pods would be on demand, and not set up to run the routes empty without passengers

But they are on demand now, at the stations. The ones roaming on their own are for the convenience of those who may not know where a pod stations is and they can just "hop on" where they want. I don't see what the problem is of ones running empty is. In some areas, if there weren't pods cruising by, it would be totally dead, without a soul to be seen for regions around.

That is how I discovered them. I was tired of walking everywhere to see SL. One day, a pod was passing and I hopped it. It was a revelation. I saw stuff, I found the rez station and more routes. I took one of the notecards that is offered when you sit and found there were tons of these routes. On ALL the continents. It allowed me to see and find things I never would have just walking. Things that I wouldn't have thought to plug into search. And things that aren't in search, like a group of Frank Lloyd Wright house replicas on someone's land that they had built themselves.

With all the walking, SL was getting boring as a newbie and I probably would have quit. The pods let me discover it and I knew I wanted to stay.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Howdy everyone!

I am potentially as confused as everyone else.  But then again I've been out of town this week and I have some catching up to do.  In any case while standing in the house of mouse, this did make it to my attention to look in to.    While I'm digging in to find out what happened there are a few things I can assure everyone of:

1. We've made no policy changes surrounding automated vehicles on the Mainland.
  2. We like the Yavapods system
  3. We use it in Bellisseria as the "engine" for the ferry boats, with Yavanna's permission of course
  4. We keep having it back to SLB every year

These items do not seem like a recipe for a change in policy.  Hopefully things will unfold and we'll get to the bottom of this in a positive manner.  I can't really see any other way forward, and the team and I have no reason to not support or help Yavanna. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 27

6 minutes ago, Patch Linden said:

Howdy everyone!

I am potentially as confused as everyone else.  But then again I've been out of town this week and I have some catching up to do.  In any case while standing in the house of mouse, this did make it to my attention to look in to.    While I'm digging in to find out what happened there are a few things I can assure everyone of:

3. We use it in Bellisseria as the "engine" for the ferry boats, with Yavanna's permission of course

These items do not seem like a recipe for a change in policy.  Hopefully things will unfold and we'll get to the bottom of this in a positive manner.  I can't really see any other way forward, and the team and I have no reason to not support or help Yavanna. 

From her notecard, back in July, one of her pods got hung up and was reported and returned to her. One of your support people suspended her account for 24 hours because of it. When she put in a ticket about it to LDPW, the ticket was closed with no comment from support.

Yavanna is experience health problems and doesn't have the energy to "fight city hall" and has decide that the pods are not welcome and is shutting down the system.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, timeandspaceanddreams said:

From her notecard, back in July, one of her pods got hung up and was reported and returned to her. One of your support people suspended her account for 24 hours because of it. When she put in a ticket about it to LDPW, the ticket was closed with no comment from support.

Yavanna is experience health problems and doesn't have the energy to "fight city hall" and has decide that the pods are not welcome and is shutting down the system.

This is where part of my confusion is.  The LDPW and the Moles do not have a real ticket system.  We sometimes receive JIRA's for issues, but that's not really a ticket and the Moles are not reachable directly through the support ticketing system.  While I'm not here to dispute any of this, there also seems to be some real confusion on what or how this happened.  If this took place in July, this is the first I'm becoming aware of it.   There is no "fight city hall" here, again, we have no reason to do anything other than help with the system and the situation.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 7

@Patch Linden  What I suggest is that Linden (LDPW) make a substantial financial offer to Yavanna to buy the pod route system. Yavanna is ill, and could do with the money

Linden could do this as an expression of goodwill from the new company owners. That while Yavanna would be the immediate recipient of this (deserved imo), it would indicate to all of us residents that Linden not only recognises resident contributions (LDPW uses the system now when it has a want), it is also recognises that resident contributions that add significant value to the inworld experience, also have a value that can be rewarded financially by Linden 

• Like 7

I am a moderator for the Pod Rider group in-world.

I am not here to advocate for what is right or what is wrong. So, if you do reply to this, then I hope it is in the same positive mindset of which I am sharing here.

I have been a lover of the Pods for a long time. I have used them to explore Mainland. I have seen things that I would not know existed without riding a pod. I have met other residents on Mainland because of a common interest of Mainland through the use of the pods. As a long time resident of SL from 2006 I have been apart of different communities, but the pod riding community on Mainland is a network of adventurous people that have used the pods in their own way for different reasons and affections.

Mainland itself is made up a varied taste of buildings, decor and landscaping. People who either own or rent Mainland will show their creative side which leaves an imprint of the reason as to why Second Life was created in the first place: A social experiment - where users can create their own world along side others.
Yavanna LlanFair created and scripted the pods. Her vision was to create a transport system in order to bring people together on Mainland: To create a unique user experience for the individual that bloomed into a large group of people having the same common interest and passion for something which started on the very same concept creation of Second Life.

As to my feelings of the pods and how they have impacted my SL - here is my video.

**The video is raw and unedited as I made it as soon as things were happening. It is not a perfect video nor it is professional by any standards. But there are no words that I can type here that can convey what I felt in that video to get across how important the pods are to me.

Kind Regards,

Asadora Summers

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Patch Linden said:

Howdy everyone!

Brotha Patch!  You are the best!  So glad to see you jumping on this on a Friday afternoon.  Have an awesome weekend!  If anyone can straighten this out, you can!

• Like 8

I am hoping this can all be sorted out since the Tour Pods are a massive part of the mainland.
It has always made me smile to see one glide by with someone on-board, even when empty I am always happy to see them, knowing that anyone can just hop on when they come upon one. I have heard from so many Zany Zen Railway passengers that they discovered the ZZR just from hopping on a pod that was gliding down the road and I do wonder how many other roadside mainland builds can also thank Yavanna's pods for helping unearth some of Second Life little gems for Pod travelers. I send my thoughts to Yavanna hoping for a swift and smooth recovery.

Zen.

• Like 3

The pods are a  historical part of SL and should continue to run as usual down the road automatically because that is how people come to know about pods is by seeing them and hopping on. A lot of businesses and tourist areas depend on pods as well to bring attention and awareness about the community. 

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1339 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.