BoM Foot Problem

Cerebrogasm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi Everyone,

I know I saw this answered somewhere, but I can't find the solution now: I built an avatar that is Catwa (head) on a Maitreya Lara (regular size) body - all set to BoM - the skin for both the head and body is L'etre - matching tones - all seems to work fine except for the avatar's toes - which look like they are merged together in a sock - I don't believe I had any layers on in the Maitreya HUD (like tattoo) when I built her - can you advise me how to correct this problem? Thanks in advance! - James

13 answers to this question

There are at least three ways to solve this.

1.  Wear a more modern skin, one designed for a mesh avatar
  2.  Wear a skin fix tattoo, if the maker of your skin has one available, or if you can find one and tint it to match the skin
  3.  If the white is all over the sole of the foot, see if you're wearing a shoe base...and if you are, take it off.  You may be able to replace it with a shoe base designed for BoM.
  • Like 3

I'd love to know the answer to this one myself.  I have the toe problem in some, but not all outfits.  Like you, I have a Maitreya Lara body (v 5.2). I do not have any layers added in those odd-toed outfits because I'm not using appliers. My toes look like I have leprosy.  So far, my only solution has been to avoid sandals and open-toed shoes. 

Rolig - on YouTube - at least one of the "Intro to BoM" Second Life videos covered this known problem - I remember there was an easy fix - if only I could remember what it is - haha - possibly something to do with the tattoo layer - if I find it I'll post it ... James

If you're using an old pre-BOM system skin, then you might check to see if the skin maker has updated it with a BOM version which would be body-specific and include the correct look for the toes.  Sometime I've seen that done as a body-specific tattoo layer in the skin-maker's various colors (I think that's what Pink Fuel has).   I don't wear Maitreya, but have you checked to see if there was any kind of "toe-fix" tintable tattoo layer included with the recent versions?   Another option would be to look for tintable "toe-fix" layers - I'm trying to remember where I've seen those - possibly Izzie's and/or Pink Fuel. 

15 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

I take it that you're using a pre-BOM-aged skin? A real system skin made for the old system body?

Yup.  I'm not having trouble with my favorite LAQ skin, but I have a lovely Belleza skin and another very nice Curio skin with white toes.

2 minutes ago, Cerebrogasm said:

Rolig - on YouTube - at least one of the "Intro to BoM" Second Life videos covered this known problem - I remember there was an easy fix - if only I could remember what it is - haha - possibly something to do with the tattoo layer - if I find it I'll post it ... James

Thanks.  This is not one of those "solve it or I  am out of here" issues, but it is annoying. If you run across that video, I'd like to see it.

1 minute ago, Moira Timmerman said:

Another option would be to look for tintable "toe-fix" layers - I'm trying to remember where I've seen those - possibly Izzie's and/or Pink Fuel. 

Oh, I'd almost forgotten.  I did try one of those last winter some time.  They messed up my avatar something fierce.  It took me a long time and a slice of my sanity to recover.

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

Oh, I'd almost forgotten.  I did try one of those last winter some time.  They messed up my avatar something fierce.  It took me a long time and a slice of my sanity to recover.

Sorry you had such a bad experience. That sounds much worse then the frustration I had using the one that came with the Slink body before I found a BOM version of my skin.  I was only pulling my hair out trying to get a 'perfect' match with the tinting.  I wouldn't have expected such trouble from a tattoo layer.    Glad you recovered finally, though :)

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Nail cover tattoos are the solution... a blank patch to tint as good as you can to blend in with your skin. As usual, Izzie's is one stop for your need of fixes.

The old skins have a much different UV Map compared to mesh bodyparts, hence why the old skins don't line up.

Thanks, Lillith.  I'll steel my nerves and give Izzy another try.  It's been long enough since the last time that the hair I tore out then has grown back. (To be honest, if this were really a high priority, I would have kept at it longer than I did.  It's just one of those annoying little things.  It would have sat there in the background if the OP hadn't said something.)

Everyone is focusing on the system skin being used, but on the offchance that it's not an old system skin I also want to note this (emphasis mine) -

16 hours ago, Cerebrogasm said:

the avatar's toes - which look like they are merged together in a sock

Do the toes look like the ones below?

maitreya_socks01.jpg.36d9baacf6dca15ca4c269c7160a6f40.jpg

If so, then you've added (and enabled) the BoM Add-On Parts for socks/stockings. What this does is to place a 'toe cap' on the feet so that if you wear BoM/system socks or stockings they look realistic and stretched across your toes, rather than having a 'toe sock' effect.

Look for the highlighted items in your body's folder:

maitreya_socks02.jpg.50579db131a74c9f7176493868e6e5d4.jpg

You can either just detach them both (if worn) and your toes will look normal again, or you can click the toe-caps normal part of the add-on HUD -

maitreya_socks02a.jpg.3faeec50e86f9029b800e020210a5d2f.jpg

- until it's no longer highlighted white:

maitreya_socks04.jpg.118951323f655ac0cc5e0e6c3f65e7dd.jpg

If you don't ever plan on wearing BoM socks or stockings then I'd just recommend detaching the add-on parts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just a quick thank you, Skell Dagger - you nailed it...I often find SL avatar parts are usually very well made - some brilliant - but unfortunately with minimal documentation. Example: Since I joined SL - about 3 years + ago - I have always thought the Notecards should be appearance enhanced - they often contain vital information for customers - including links to videos (which should be active, not cut and paste) - along with font choice and any enhancements which have been on computers since the 1990's...thanks again Skell Dagger....! James

Edited by Cerebrogasm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.