Terrain

Naiman Broome

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3945 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok meshes are coming out but what's the point of having nice meshes items on a crap land ? The terrain features are still stone age , not even worth comparison with some crap games out there , its really totally primitive , random texture displaying , rudimental tools work land working , very small areas like 256 m x 256 m and most of all limited texturepossibility and resolutions , with no material setup .... is there any chance we can get a decent new terrain ?

Possible with decent tools , and larger space more than 256 useless space ...

those are all some very good points but there are also the possibliltys of islands being locked not working or that sim being maintaneced ,futhermore not to mention some terrains are worth byuing at all because of the owner himself makes it impposible to live in and charging you way to much linden for that terrain no matter how it looks.

I made some terrain just yesterday :matte-motes-smile:

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_N3W3ksl-Xiw/TdnHPLTmFlI/AAAAAAAAChM/QFJ0MAuH5Uo/s1600/Hill.JPG

About 6000 triangles with a physics proxy, 11 prims by the current (unfinished) cost.  64x64m.  I only used 1 texture for it, but I could have used 4 textures and mixed them by UV mapping or used seamless repeats if I wanted.  The actual texture is "slope matched". Flat parts are grass and steep parts are bare.

My suggestion is ignore the default terrain and just make our own.  We would have more flexibility in textures, and be able to make overhangs and holes, and height details smaller than 4m.  In this model the flat areas have larger triangles and the bumpy areas have more detail. Since the new prim size limit will be 64m, you can cover a sim with 16 terrain tiles and use about 1% of the total prim allowance at the detail level I used. 

(Hi Naiman, I'm sure you know most of this from seeing your work on other worlds, but my comments are more for other people who don't know as much about 3D models and what the possibilities are)

Yes indeed. It is possible to make good terrain. Whether it will be economic depends on the costing, especially the physics cost if you want to avoid sinking and floating. I think you can do clever things with UV mapping and disjoint faces that will allow the use of tiled textures without the usual tiling artefacts. Hard to make it work without seams, but it would give high detail. The proper texturing of steep slopes is worth a lot in my view.

I know I coul dmake a mesh terrain but this is not whats I have said  , the mesh terrain is just a patchto cover the main terrain , its the main terrain that shoudl be fixed ....

1 more than 4 textures

2 remove the wird and totally stupid way of random texturing blending

3 allow proper direct painting tool for terrain textures

4 Larger terrains at least 1 km per sim , right now 256 its feeling smaller than a fish tank ....

5 larger texture size for terrain

6 allow use o material like bump maps for terrain

7 better modeling tools for terrain

• 2 years later...

Hello, :matte-motes-grin:

i'm looking whit interest at that conversation becouse i wanted to make a little mountain whit a cave.

So i started using blender 2.67 whit a plane mesh primitive, then i subdivided it five time.

I used the edit mode and i grab a verted using the conect mod to move also the near vertex till i made a little mountain.

then i selected a face and i extruded it inside the mountain making a little cave.

I exported using the collada exporter and i selected the option "second life static"

Then i started sl and i select aditi, once here i uploaded my model and i used the same model for the physic.

i selected surface and nothing on the third physic voice.

I uploaded and da daa in word the mountain was like a phantom prim.

Iturned it into convex, prim, none but nothing...it still to be a phantom.

What i wrong?-.-''

I tried to make then a cube whit some holes and i can go inside it whitout falling down o.O

thanks for your help and time

Mitty

Assuming you uploaded your mountain correctly, it could be that you ran into a glitch where certain objects become phantom to your avatar. To fix that you should try to sit on something, than stand up again and try the mountains collisions again. To be able to walk inside the cave, you have to set the physics shape type to: Prim.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3945 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.