Media on a prim works for my partner but not me (in same place)

Leda Sands

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My partner and I are working on an in-world media player using media on a prim face (set via the texture tab in Edit). We both see, for example, YouTube videos in world without a problem. However, while live webcam feeds work fine in my home pc browser, in world they work for her but not me. I only see the message "Your browser does not currently recognise any of the video formats available."

Example streams:

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/united-kingdom/england/blackpool/blackpool.html

https://www.earthcam.com/usa/nevada/lasvegas/fremontstreet/?cam=catsmeow_lv_fremont

I don't understand what browser it's using in world or why it works on my pc browser but not in-world.

I have set Firestorm to use my own browser, not the built- in one; changed my default browser from Firefox to Microsoft Edge; compared using the official sl viewer; changed my internet connection (between wifi to my own mobile data dongle); and been through the Firestorm wiki guide to media problems, all to no avail. We can’t see any difference in our pc/browser/viewer setups that would explain this failure of shared experience.

Has anyone else experienced this issue (and solved it!!)?

Are you both using the very same release of Firestorm? Shared Media surfaces are displayed in viewers using software called the Chromium Embedded Framework (CEF) which also displays web content for stuff including (some) Search and Profiles (in some viewers) as well as the viewer's built-in browser windows. The Lab has fairly recently extended the live streaming formats they support in CEF, and not all versions of Firestorm have that support yet.

I haven't tried those streams myself yet, but I'll be using the current Linden viewer to see if they're visible, and compare that to the non-beta version of Firestorm where I suspect they won't be.

ETA: Tested the Blackpool stream. Shows fine in the Linden "Second Life Release 6.4.7.546539 (64bit)" viewer; I get the same browser support error using "Firestorm 6.3.9 (58205) May 27 2020 01:20:51 (64bit) (Firestorm-Releasex64) with Havok support" which I think is the current official Firestorm release. Is there a chance your friend is using the EEP-capable beta release of Firestorm, which I think also must have swept in the new CEF support?

Edited by Qie Niangao

The new Firestorm Beta (which will not replace your regular Firestorm, but install alongside it!) has an updated CEF (built-in browser engine) which is not only used as -in-viewer browser, but is also used to display media on a prim (MOAP).
This new CEF allows you to play live streams of many different kinds, I am using it to watch streams like PlutoTV, Tubi TV, Xumo and other streams. It also supports more file formats, so more video services are likely to work.

So my guess is that your partner is using the Beta viewer, and you don't. The solution will be for you to install the FS beta version, or switch to the most recent LL viewer.

Thanks both for your responses, particularly for the info about how the viewer displays media on a prim.

@Qie Niangao I will check with my partner exactly what version she is using. 

@Fritigern Gothly I just updated my LL viewer and the live stream plays for me, so thje problem is with Firestorm.

Here's hoping the main release of Firestorm updates soon. I can't stand the LL viewer!

2 hours ago, Leda Sands said:

@Fritigern Gothly I just updated my LL viewer and the live stream plays for me, so thje problem is with Firestorm.

Here's hoping the main release of Firestorm updates soon. I can't stand the LL viewer!

So... Install the beta version. As I said, it will install ALONGSIDE your regular FS version, why mess around with the LL which you hate so much if you can just use the FS beta?
https://www.firestormviewer.org/firestorm-6-4-5-eep-public-beta/ <= Right here.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.