Jump to content

Contemplating new desktop/AIO to run SL


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 75 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

I'm going to be investing in a new desktop or All-in-one, and I'm interested to know what other people are running SL on that use SL similar to how I'd like to, mainly:

  • For photography, I'd like to be able to use Ultra graphics settings, enable Advanced Lighting model, shadows, Antialiasing 16x,
  • Anything other than photography, I'd be happy to lower everything to Mid and not be picky about graphics settings,
  • Not crash while doing the above two

I haven't specified a budget because I'm actually wanting to know the specs of anyone who uses SL the way I've mentioned without crashing,ย rather than looking at it from a cost perspective.

Also, since I'm looking for a new desktop/AIO, I haven't included my current specs - I'm thinking it's not too relevant, but let me know if you think it is or if you're curious.

Thank you :)

Edited by AdminGirl
Link to post
Share on other sites

You can set yourself up a decent SL-oriented computer rig using the following specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
NVIDIA GTX 1660 (or 1650)
16 GB DDR4 RAM
and a decent SSD for SL cache will have you running pretty well. I'm going to be running a comparable setup but with a 1060 I already own as opposed to a 1660. A word of warning, however - some AMD Motherboards on certain chipsets may need a BIOS Upgrade to use the BIOS, but this is usually with older motherboards that were flashed with a old BIOS from the factory from before the new firmware was aailableย and newer ones already support Third-gen Ryzen. If you end up with a Mobo that doesn't work, contact AMD for a upgrade kit and they'll send you a cheapo Athlon CPU so you can actually boot into the BIOS and install the firmware update. If you're not certain, check with the manufacturer's website.

Also, some may say that Intel is better but these days Intel and AMD's latest offerings are more neck and neck than anything (as a owner of a FX-series CPU I know what crappy single core performance looks like). AMD is the cheaper alternative for CPUs and unlike before Ryzen, it actually is, as I said, on par withย if not sometimes slightly better than Intel in terms of performance.

Edited by Rathgrith027
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, AdminGirl said:

I'm going to be investing in a new desktop, and I'm interested to know what other people are running SL on that use SL similar to how I'd like to, mainly:

  • For photography, I'd like to be able to use Ultra graphics settings, enable Advanced Lighting model, shadows, Antialiasing 16x,
  • Anything other than photography, I'd be happy to lower everything to Mid and not be picky about graphics settings,
  • Not crash while doing the above two

....etc

I am doing all the Ultra graphics photography on a 2011 Sony Vaio i5 (Gen 1) laptop with 6GB RAM with AMD Radeon HD 5650 so it really depends on how many avatars you want to be able to have fully rezed while walking around.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had this machine for about three years now. I run on mid-ultra all the time with shadows on but no DOF. DOF and fine grained shadows are no problem at all for photography and I can run two or three avatars also with no problem as needed.ย  ย I don't use full ultra primarily because of the LOD3 part of the equation.ย  I "can" use full ultra; I just choose not to.ย 

I have no plans on upgrading as everything is working fine. I can also use SL in this manny while baking textures in Blender which is a very long and draining process.ย  I usually have four or more programs open at all times.ย 

ย 

Firestorm 6.3.9 (58205) May 27 2020 01:20:51 (64bit) (Firestorm-Releasex64) with Havok support
Release Notes

You are at 124.4, 118.4, 21.6 in kustom9 located at sim10661.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.53.23:13009)
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/kustom9/124/118/22
(global coordinates 213,628.0, 285,558.0, 21.6)
Second Life Server 2020-07-31T15:02:15.545966
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz (3298.09 MHz)
Memory: 16286 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 18362.1016)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 980/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 26.21.14.3200
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 432.00

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.8 nghttp2/1.25.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.10.7
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 2.00.08
Dullahan: 1.1.1320 / CEF: 3.3626.1895.g7001d56 / Chromium: 72.0.3626.121
LibVLC Version: 2.2.8
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Grey)
Window size: 2560x1377 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1.5
Draw distance: 128 m
Bandwidth: 1500 kbit/s
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: High-Ultra (6/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: Yes
Texture memory: 2048 MB (1)
VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): 2020-6-12T15:31:16ย 
Built with MSVC version 1800
Packets Lost: 276/11,372 (2.4%)
August 16 2020 03:42:36 SLT

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AdminGirl said:

Also, since I'm looking for a new desktop, I haven't included my current specs

Why not? There might beย something decent which can be reused. Do you want a fully built machine or can you do the assembling on your own? What monitor do you own?

And a rough budget is also good to know. It helps the helpers to have a clue whether if it's some $ or $$ or $$$+.

I'm not a fan of comparing to older systems. For a new build, you wouldn't buy those parts anyway,ย 

Last but not least... my signature ... ladida... shalala... keep scrolling...ย somewhere... down here... I guess... well, maybe here.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Why not? There might beย something decent which can be reused. Do you want a fully built machine or can you do the assembling on your own? What monitor do you own?

And a rough budget is also good to know. It helps the helpers to have a clue whether if it's some $ or $$ or $$$+.

I'm not a fan of comparing to older systems. For a new build, you wouldn't buy those parts anyway,ย 

Last but not least... my signature ... ladida... shalala... keep scrolling...ย somewhere... down here... I guess... well, maybe here.

Here it is:

I'm currently using an Dell AIOย Inspiron 27 7775

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  (2994.38 MHz)
Memory: 16277 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 18362.1016)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: Radeon (TM) RX 580 Graphics
Windows Graphics Driver Version: 26.20.13001.9005

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: Inspiron 7775
Monitor Id: DEL4146
Native Mode: 3840 x 2160(p) (59.997Hz)

ย 

I'd be looking for a fully built machine for around $2k.

Thanks for pointing me to your sig too - very helpful. I've had it off all this time!

ย 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

I'd give the AIO PCs a pass for SL. They tend to be full of laptop parts that will perform worse than their desktop counterparts.

Yeah I'm currently using an AIO and you're absolutely right, it does not run well. I crash constantly but I don't know how much of that is attributed mine being refurbished.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AdminGirl said:

Yeah I'm currently using an AIO and you're absolutely right, it does not run well. I crash constantly but I don't know how much of that is attributed mine being refurbished.

What type of crash? SL client crash, VGA driver crash or Windows crash?

Native Mode: 3840 x 2160(p) (59.997Hz)ย  << nice resolution btw

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

What type of crash? SL client crash, VGA driver crash or Windows crash?

ย 

There are times where my screen would go completely blank (generally grey or black, but a few times white) before my comp completely switches off. If it doesn't switch off by itself.

And other times, my comp would suddenly switch off, making a sound similar to that of a short circuit. Not entirely sure what kind of crashes they are tbh.

8 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

ย 

Native Mode: 3840 x 2160(p) (59.997Hz)ย  << nice resolution btw

Thanks, it's a pretty good AIO aside from SL probs which is why I've been delaying an upgrade... but I think it's timeย ๐Ÿ™

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AdminGirl said:

There are times where my screen would go completely blank (generally grey or black, but a few times white) before my comp completely switches off. If it doesn't switch off by itself.

And other times, my comp would suddenly switch off, making a sound similar to that of a short circuit. Not entirely sure what kind of crashes they are tbh.

When was the last time you cleaned it with compressed air (not the silly computer cans sold on the market but a real compressor)ย  and replaced thermal pads and paste? Your computer is probably just overheating.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a certain fear that you'll break the whole "all in one" unit if you simply try to open it at all. Let alone change anything like thermal pads or paste.

If you had those components in a simple, plain and basic case, you'd already have a sufficient setup.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nick0678 said:

When was the last time you cleaned it with compressed air (not the silly computer cans sold on the market but a real compressor)ย  and replaced thermal pads and paste? Your computer is probably just overheating.

I did aย clean a few months ago but admittedly, I didn't use compressed air. And never replaced the thermal pads or paste. 3 years old but they look ok.

Overheating is probably one of the issues at times but I suspect there are other problems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

I have a certain fear that you'll break the whole "all in one" unit if you simply try to open it at all. Let alone change anything like thermal pads or paste.

If you had those components in a simple, plain and basic case, you'd already have a sufficient setup.

Thanks for confirming -ย I have always been unsure about AIO maintenance and how much I should be fiddling around with the parts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, AdminGirl said:

I did aย clean a few months ago but admittedly, I didn't use compressed air. And never replaced the thermal pads or paste. 3 years old but they look ok.

Overheating is probably one of the issues at times but I suspect there are other problems.

Well give it a nice clean and fresh thermal paste / pads both in vga and cpu .Won't cost more than 10-15 USD for the parts if you like to DIY.

Otherwise i don't know how much they charge in your area/country,ย  i suppose that job shouldn't cost more than 30USD.

Your computer isn't too old to have blown capacitors and such stuff, normally it should work fine.

Edited by Nick0678
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lillith Hapmouche said:

A-i-O. That's literally a monitor.

And?

Dell_Inspiron_27_7775_open_ndtv_15133264

Link to post
Share on other sites
ย 59 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

... at least there won't be any problem to assemble a custom PC in future...

You missed the next part.

3 hours ago, Nick0678 said:

Otherwise i don't know how much they charge in your area/country,ย  i suppose that job shouldn't cost more than 30USD.

ย 

Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 75 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...