Region crossing improvments

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1325 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, Tarina Sewell said:

Going to go boating and see if there are improvments, last time I went on a boating trip I arrived with my guest still in the boat but he was dropped 3 regions past ... was super weird.

that might because the sims 3 past was not updated yet with the new improvements or they had a buggy or laggy connection themselves.

• Like 1

I took a ride around different mainland continents on my horse a couple of days ago. The greatest improvement seems to be between regions on the same sim. Overall, though, it's greatly improved.

I actually haven't had anything pop on me yet.. but then I haven't tried any of my cars yet.. perhaps tomorrow.

19 hours ago, RitaCallisto said:

I took a ride around different mainland continents on my horse a couple of days ago. The greatest improvement seems to be between regions on the same sim. Overall, though, it's greatly improved.

I actually haven't had anything pop on me yet.. but then I haven't tried any of my cars yet.. perhaps tomorrow.

I am sorry, I do not understand different regions on the same sim?

When I can cross whatevers in my speedboat at 100% power and keep my panties on, I'll be happy.

So far the best I can do is a blip to 45% then slow to 15% to cross, then blip to 45% again. So much concentration stops me talking.

Some might suggest this is a good thing. 

Last outing though I did navigate all the way home in one piece. Which is way better than ocean bed sitting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was mentioned at a meeting a few months ago that the Lab was looking into something similar to Opensim's Var regions, which is multiple 256x256 regions combined into one simulator instance. There would in effect be no borders between them. Perhaps they have them on the grid now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The two land sims on the beta grid that are on AWS are on different servers.

You are at 128.0, 128.0, 32.4 in Morris located at ec2-54-148-125-144.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com (54.148.125.144:13025)
SLURL: secondlife://Aditi/secondlife/Morris/128/128/32
(global coordinates 255360.0, 256384.0, 32.4)
Second Life Server 2020-08-14.547012
You are at 93.1, 4.6, 45.4 in Ahern located at ec2-34-214-122-90.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com (34.214.122.90:13003)
SLURL: secondlife://Aditi/secondlife/Ahern/93/5/45
(global coordinates 255325.0, 256517.0, 45.4)
Second Life Server 2020-08-14.547012

Bonifacio is on the old Linden data center.

You are at 249.6, 214.8, 38.8 in Bonifacio located at sim8997.aditi.lindenlab.com (216.82.33.219:13005)
SLURL: secondlife://Aditi/secondlife/Bonifacio/250/215/39
(global coordinates 255226.0, 256471.0, 38.8)
Second Life Server 2020-07-31T15:02:15.545966

Crossings between all of those are about the same.

5 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

When I can cross whatevers in my speedboat at 100% power and keep my panties on, I'll be happy.

So far the best I can do is a blip to 45% then slow to 15% to cross, then blip to 45% again. So much concentration stops me talking.

Some might suggest this is a good thing. 

Last outing though I did navigate all the way home in one piece. Which is way better than ocean bed sitting.

Try that on the beta grid on the beta grid's copy of the Blake Sea. That's all "in the cloud". So far, it seems to work quite well, if you don't hit a region corner. The corner bug is still present.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think a recent fix did not produce the intended result. See BUG-229312.    It was a reasonable fix, but it has side effects.

Vehicle builders seeing new problems should come to Server User Group at 1200 SLT on Tuesday. This needs a discussion between vehicle builders and the Linden dev team. Managing SL region crossings well requires a cooperative effort between vehicle scripts and sim servers. If you want the technical details, read the referenced JIRAs.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, animats said:

I think a recent fix did not produce the intended result. See BUG-229312.    It was a reasonable fix, but it has side effects

am pretty sure this is related to region idling.  Some time ago now Linden changed it so that regions rather than always fully on, idle down when there are no avatars on adjoining regions. When the region does become aware of avatars on adjoining regions then they power up to fully on.  Sometimes the region doesn't power up and stays in idle mode

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1325 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.