Separate cache for separate avatars on the second life viewer

SassySister2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1348 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am using the second life viewer. I have two avatars. One I use for building, learning and decorating which has a large inventory. The other I use to explore, go to concerts and have fun in second life. I have heard that it is better to have separate cache for each to help from keeping my fun avatar from bogging down. Can anyone give me some knowledge here. I am not very technical, so I will need thorough explanations. Thank you for your time and assistance.

The most easy way to is create two accounts on your computer OS and define different locations for the caches on your drive(s).

I use an alt for testing and building but with same account for logon on my Windows 10 system. Cache is same and I do not normally have any problems. If inventory or texture cache problems, the simple solution if just to delete the cache, it is automatically rebuild next time you log into SL.

So I would say, there is no need to have separate caches.

The simplest solution is to have a different viewer, the builder has one and the explorer another, each gets a unique cache.

Trying to define two different caches for one viewer is awkward, but not impossible. It requires having two folders, one for each avatar, and whichever avatar is not logged in has the cache folder name altered, say by adding the avatar name to the end of it. The cache file for the avatar which is actually logged in does not have the appended name. You have to remember to rename the folders before logging in with a different avatar and it's easy to forget and mix them up.

Assume the viewer in question has a cache folder MyCache.

Create two folders MyCache_avatar1 and MyCache_Avatar2

Before logging in avatar1, rename MyCache_avatar1 to MyCache.

After logging out avatar 1 and before logging in avatar2

rename MyCache to Mycache_avatar1

rename Mycache_avatar2 to Mycache

Login avatar 2

Different viewers is much easier.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku
clarity

Thank you both for your information. My biggest problem is that when I log in with the working avi, instead of going to its last location, it gets confused and goes to where the fun avi was. If I am testing or trying new skins and such, the avi may not be in a state that is suitable for the location where it logs in.  I clear cache almost every time I am in and it still does this. That is why the suggestion was given to separate the caches.

34 minutes ago, SassySister2 said:

Thank you both for your information. My biggest problem is that when I log in with the working avi, instead of going to its last location, it gets confused and goes to where the fun avi was. If I am testing or trying new skins and such, the avi may not be in a state that is suitable for the location where it logs in.  I clear cache almost every time I am in and it still does this. That is why the suggestion was given to separate the caches.

And you login with different usernames for your normal and alt avatar? This sounds more like problems server side.

Thank you Lyssa. I did try this and I couldn't get it to work correctly. All I could get it to do was still use the same cache and copy it from one location to the other and deleted the original. I tried both ways of setting it up and both still used the same cache and reacted the same way.  

Last I checked your Cache has nothing whatsoever to do with where you are when using Last Location for logging in. You can see this if your Cache is utterly fresh or you're installing a viewer on a new machine/reinstalling after nuking all the data from an existing machine.

You have a whole other problem, contact support.

it could be some corruption/confusion within the Second Life settings folder (not sure why there would be, but might be worth a try)

on Windows 10 the folder is: This PC \ Local Disk \ Users \ [Your Windows Profile Name] \ AppData \ Roaming \ SecondLife

to test then rename this folder to say: SecondLife (Copy)

and log in your avatars.  What should happen is that the viewer will create a new SecondLife folder and treat each avatar/account as a new signin

Edited by Mollymews
no space in SecondLife

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1348 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.