Security in Belliseria/ Rabelais region

BrookeRanger

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

One problem with using a Non-LH orb is some seem to work by instantly ejecting people the moment they detect them, the 15 second setting on them is the interval between parcel scans. So you can be ejected instantly from a parcel with a 15 second orb if you are unlucky enough to cross the boundary at the wrong time in its cycle.

That's just bad code.

I've never encountered one coded that poorly myself, though I can imagine how one would make such a basic fundamentally bad choice of code.

To do it right there are two very obvious paths that occur to me without even thinking over it.

The first is to call your scanning function again the moment you get a hit, so that's timer is basically reset.

The second it to be calling it once per second and using a counter for each intruder detected... and when that counter hits your time until action, to take action.

That's going to be your method for either of llSensorRepeat or llGetAgentList.

It's really not at all hard to make something time itself properly, and limit it's scanning to a specific location.

On 8/15/2020 at 5:47 AM, Pussycat Catnap said:

That would be a rather recent change. In the past I've been able to fly and hover 40-something meters above banlines.

EDIT: I got to 51m above this plot:

Have a look at height. (Z parameter)

Screenshot_2020-08-16_12-05-06.png.42254afbd8a514f51a7deb0deb04d508.png

11 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

One problem with using a Non-LH orb is some seem to work by instantly ejecting people the moment they detect them, the 15 second setting on them is the interval between parcel scans. So you can be ejected instantly from a parcel with a 15 second orb if you are unlucky enough to cross the boundary at the wrong time in its cycle. I believe the LH Orbs won't do that and actually will allow you the time you are supposed to have to pass by.

One set like that got me in Gaeta the other day, passing by their parcel, lagged a little on the region crossing. next thing I knew I was teleported home. And had a warning that I had 20 seconds to leave their parcel and then that I was ejected within a second of each other.

Those are usually bad scripted security systems created a decade ago and given either as freebies or at very low cost.

1 hour ago, Nick0678 said:

Those are usually bad scripted security systems created a decade ago and given either as freebies or at very low cost.

The fact they are free makes them popular.

I just got sent home by a PDS Orb, that insta-ejected me along with a 10 second time limit warning, that I only had time to read after it had sent me home.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

That's just bad code.

I've never encountered one coded that poorly myself, though I can imagine how one would make such a basic fundamentally bad choice of code.

To do it right there are two very obvious paths that occur to me without even thinking over it.

The first is to call your scanning function again the moment you get a hit, so that's timer is basically reset.

The second it to be calling it once per second and using a counter for each intruder detected... and when that counter hits your time until action, to take action.

That's going to be your method for either of llSensorRepeat or llGetAgentList.

It's really not at all hard to make something time itself properly, and limit it's scanning to a specific location.

Because of the contents bug, I can't see into the PDS orb I have to see what script method it uses. But I remember it was not so long ago (3-4 years?)  that the maker of it left SL, and left his orb open source for people to use. Before then it was sold as a premium security solution.

1 minute ago, Aethelwine said:

The fact they are free makes them popular.

I just got sent home by a PDS Orb, that insta-ejected me along with a 10 second time limit warning, that I only had time to read after it had sent me home.

Well it's funny that people spend hundreds of USD to buy clothes and accesories that they will wear on their avatars only a couple of times and rarely spend 2-3US$ on well scripted things. I know PDS, used it back in 2013-14 if i remember well. If setup correctly it will work fine although the scripts need some rework.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.