Security in Belliseria/ Rabelais region

BrookeRanger

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Have there been security system problems in premium homes reported? I installed the LH-Security System V2.3.1 months ago. It worked fine kicking intruders out until I came in this morning to find one inside the house.

For punier reasons I would cancel my premium membership and move to a parcel with more privacy. Was there an update or has some glitch been reported? Thank you

You're better off asking in the Linden Homes section, but since you're evidently too upset to look there, I'll answer.

Glitches happen, though I haven't heard about this one.  In the meantime, parcel ban the intruder, delete the current system and rez a new copy, then make sure to activate it.  Security is not likely to be any better elsewhere unless you're in a private region that's been locked down to a limited number of people.

• Like 1

I've indeed rezzed a new one.

And I beg to disagree, in private, rented areas I've been more successful at controlling and eliminating intruders. Sadly, I can't use one of those systems in Linden homes. I can't even uncheck the "anyone can visit" box. Security is more reliable elsewhere.

Hopefully the "glitch" is brought up to someone's attention. Thank you and be well

17 minutes ago, BrookeRanger said:

And I beg to disagree, in private, rented areas I've been more successful at controlling and eliminating intruders. Sadly, I can't use one of those systems in Linden homes. I can't even uncheck the "anyone can visit" box. Security is more reliable elsewhere.

Hopefully the "glitch" is brought up to someone's attention. Thank you and be well

That 'someone' ought to be you, since you're the one who experienced it.  You won't get official help here, so you need to raise a support ticket.  If you think security is more reliable elsewhere, and the current situation really bothers you, then move.  It's not worth getting upset over it.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BrookeRanger said:

Brooke, if you cannot even uncheck that box, there might some glitch around your parcel. Following Garnets directions should be more than enough in general, but It seems there is something else. You might want to contact LL support via chat, so some Linden can check the issue

Edited by Elena Core

4 hours ago, BrookeRanger said:

I can't even uncheck the "anyone can visit" box. Security is more reliable elsewhere.

10 minutes ago, Elena Core said:

Brooke, if you cannot even uncheck that box, there might some glitch around your parcel.

In Bellisseria you can't uncheck that box as it would create ban lines for everyone. There was a glitch in the Log District where about land parcel access had been left on but once it was highlighted it got fixed so no ban lines allowed unless you ban someone from your parcel

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BrookeRanger said:

I can't even uncheck the "anyone can visit" box. Security is more reliable elsewhere.

That box is actually useless by the way.

Try this test: uncheck it. Have a friend who is not in your groups come by at about 50m above the ground, and they can fly over you parcel and even 'land' on the banline wall (it will or used to bounce them like a trampoline if they landed on it). But they can hover there all day long, inside your parcel, perving on your prims and listening to your stream or your local chat.

Banlines stop working about... I think it was somewhere between 40-50m above the height of the ground.

But they do break vehicles that can steer fast enough to avoid touching them, they create ugly lines all over the screen for anyone not allowed in, and they are a big sign telling griefers to come bother you, among other issues...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

In Bellisseria you can't uncheck that box as it would create ban lines for everyone. There was a glitch in the Log District where about land parcel access had been left on but once it was highlighted it got fixed so no ban lines allowed unless you ban someone from your parcel

Claire, you're right, I got mixed up with the option of being seen, my mistake

9 hours ago, BrookeRanger said:

Sadly, I can't use one of those systems in Linden homes. I can't even uncheck the "anyone can visit" box. Security is more reliable elsewhere.

Yes you can, you are allowed to use your own security system if you wish, but the settings need to follow a certain set of rules which you can read about in the Belliseria covenant.
From the covenant:

== Security ==

*Linden Homes do not have the ability to set your parcel access to group access only (which creates ban lines for everyone else). You can still eject and ban people by name.
  *Security orbs are only allowed if they comply with the following restrictions:
     -Minimum of 15 seconds warning time (no shorter)
     -Eject from parcel only (not teleport them home)
     -Effective range cannot include the airspace between 400m and 2000m
(to allow for people to fly overhead but not in the airspace where skyboxes are allowed)

If you are uncertain, there is a free security system provided in the Linden Homes Content Pack. It does not have the ability to be set in a manner that does not comply with these restrictions. Click on the house controller outside of your parcel (the one used for changing house models) to get the most current content pack sent to you.

So you are free to use your own, but make sure to work within these restrictions which in short are: minimum of 15-sec warning. eject (not TP home!) and the system can not restrict travel over your parcel between 400 and 2000 meters. (You are allowed to restrict it below 400 and above 2000).

• Like 1

I saw a security orb bug in the opposite direction yesterday.

brokensecurityorb.thumb.png.b8fc54566da97db43c93865610b753ae.png

Every two seconds, another threatening dialog pops up. Couldn't find the offending object, which is sending these to passers-by off the property for a stretch of about 100m of Linden road.. It can't eject me from a Linden road; it's just making empty threats. Filed an AR.

Security orb people, there's an LSL call, llGetParcelDetails, to check the ownership of land. Please check that you're authorized to make threats before doing so. Buyers of security orbs, there are good ones, and ones that are junk, like this one. Don't buy and deploy the junk ones. You're giving too much power to something that can't be trusted with it. Thank you.

Owner of object censored to avoid naming and shaming.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nick0678 said:

~90m and ~5010m depending on Region setup

That would be a rather recent change. In the past I've been able to fly and hover 40-something meters above banlines.

EDIT: I got to 51m above this plot:

943e4000e65fc36c5f61234299f677d7.png

Outside the plot:

4fb2a909d9177349862c2fc0e1d63584.png

(images look a little odd because I did a 'gyazo' of the 'gyazo' to crop the parcel and region name out once I found that the landowner was an active account - that plot's been there since 2010 so I at first used it thinking it was one of those long lost people...)

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, animats said:

Every two seconds, another threatening dialog pops up. Couldn't find the offending object, which is sending these to passers-by off the property for a stretch of about 100m of Linden road.. It can't eject me from a Linden road; it's just making empty threats. Filed an AR.

This was me once many years ago.

Is the orb in a different region from you by any chance? If it was then it's a case of what I unknowingly did years ago...

There is a glitch with the scan code where if it hits the edge of a region, it seems to repeat it's full scan dimensions as a mirrior image on the other side of the region border.... so if you are scanning from 0x, 10y to 10x, 20y... you will ALSO scan 246-255xm, 10x-20y on the region to your west... At least I think. It scans some amount of territory on the other side that seems to be similar to what it was scanning on your side.

I've done this to a neighbor before, about 10 years ago, and I had another neighbor do it to me about 7 years ago.

The fix of course is to scan just inside the region border... 0.01m or more I imagine, and to NOT use 'parcel scan' if you border a region.

If your example is not near a region border than it's just bad setup... but if it was - most people don't know about this glitch until it hits them or a neighbor says "hey... what's going on here?"

Would be interesting to find the orb and find out.

I put out the heads up. As for me, the greatest perk was the Premium home. No privacy, no account. Canceling mine and renting out a parcel where I can REALLY keep trolls and intruders away and put ban lines.
Those considering Premium beware. Your home may not be as secured as you thought it was

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, animats said:

brokensecurityorb.thumb.png.b8fc54566da97db43c93865610b753ae.png

Every two seconds, another threatening dialog pops up. Couldn't find the offending object, which is sending these to passers-by off the property for a stretch of about 100m of Linden road.. It can't eject me from a Linden road; it's just making empty threats.

some of the ancient freebie orb scripts never check for: llOverMyLand() in the sensor event.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlOverMyLand

there is a wiki script example which shows us how to use it for this exact purpose

1 hour ago, BrookeRanger said:

I put out the heads up. As for me, the greatest perk was the Premium home. No privacy, no account. Canceling mine and renting out a parcel where I can REALLY keep trolls and intruders away and put ban lines.
Those considering Premium beware. Your home may not be as secured as you thought it was

Maybe you should get a whole private region and disable anyone from entering.

• Haha 2

what a  lonely life      ,in all my time in Belli   i never had even one unwanted intruder in my home  ,i dont even use security   ,i set all to group acces ,and nothing can go wrong  ,i dont panic if someone acccidently enter my propperty ,hey be honest what can they do to you  ?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Atina0 said:

what a  lonely life      ,in all my time in Belli   i never had even one unwanted intruder in my home  ,i dont even use security   ,i set all to group acces ,and nothing can go wrong  ,i dont panic if someone acccidently enter my propperty ,hey be honest what can they do to you  ?

last year my main was sitting on her porch swing in Edgar and this pervert jumped on and started animating them together. he said she 'looked sad'. she stood up and told him to gtfo but couldn't eject him because not the property owner. nevermind, he is now banned from every house i get. DM me if you want his name; he has a bunch of paedo groups so I use the word 'pervert' advisedly.

1 minute ago, usagihara said:

last year my main was sitting on her porch swing in Edgar and this pervert jumped on and started animating them together. he said she 'looked sad'. she stood up and told him to gtfo but couldn't eject him because not the property owner. nevermind, he is now banned from every house i get. DM me if you want his name; he has a bunch of paedo groups so I use the word 'pervert' advisedly.

if something like that happens to me ,i tp out of the place   .these morons have no fun in empty houses   ,just make sure they cant use your furniture  keep doors closed ,it never bothered me if they try it when  im not there  .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, usagihara said:

a skybox with a ban orb would probably do the job, tbh

That's how I do things mainland wise.

A skybox, surrounded by a solid opaque prim. Orb inside set to just slightly smaller than the box but at 0-second no warning TP home. If you end up inside the box, it was a bit obvious you didn't belong in there.

- That said I zap less than half a dozen people a year... despite getting about a half dozen people a week on my land - but at the ground build which is designed to be looked at and have some things to interact with (specifically cars and bikes you can ride off with - and a rezzer that replaces any missing vehicle).

Privacy is best achieved by giving the curious something to engage with that is NOT 'all up in your business'... ie: my ground attraction gives them something to see and my skybox can be where I have my private space.

To that point, I have mixed opinions on the 15-second limit on orbs in Bellisseria. I feel it should be 15-second limit for anything below 2000m. No limit above that.

- Purposeful invasions of people's space should not be rewarded. I use a 0-second warning on mainland because I want them gone before I even can become aware they were there. I want to only know about them when I check logs... which I often just delete without checking...

• Like 2

One problem with using a Non-LH orb is some seem to work by instantly ejecting people the moment they detect them, the 15 second setting on them is the interval between parcel scans. So you can be ejected instantly from a parcel with a 15 second orb if you are unlucky enough to cross the boundary at the wrong time in its cycle. I believe the LH Orbs won't do that and actually will allow you the time you are supposed to have to pass by.

One set like that got me in Gaeta the other day, passing by their parcel, lagged a little on the region crossing. next thing I knew I was teleported home. And had a warning that I had 20 seconds to leave their parcel and then that I was ejected within a second of each other.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.