Why are so many of the houses empty?

Luckybleu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1348 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am perfectly okay with people not decorating.  Less stuff to rez.   I am not sure what difference it makes if people decorate or not.  There is lots of reason they don't.   Could be they just don't have the time.  I take forever to decorate.  The victorians are actually already nicely landscaped.   Make sure that you aren't looking at regions that haven't been released yet.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Luckybleu said:

I've been exploring neighborhoods all day, mostly vics, and some parts are really nice and decorated, then suddenly it's like a ghost town.  Seriously, why are there so many people who don't touch their premium home, but get them anyway? 

I'd rather these specific controversial land holding groups own a ton around, at least they decorate the outside typically. If there's anyone who has one and needs help with the outside I'd gladly assist. It's just kinda sad putting so much work into your home and looking like you live in an apocalypse. Especially when there are clearly people who would like, and use a spot. 

I didn't use to notice this as much, but even with new regions I'm seeing released are looking abandoned. Are people just holding onto spots? Is this just how belli is destined to become like the old LH's? 😪 

Where is your Victorian? Are you up for visitors?

I would love to see how you do the garden, as that is my favorite part to do!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, karynmaria said:

I am perfectly okay with people not decorating.  Less stuff to rez.   I am not sure what difference it makes if people decorate or not.  There is lots of reason they don't.   Could be they just don't have the time.  I take forever to decorate.  The victorians are actually already nicely landscaped.   Make sure that you aren't looking at regions that haven't been released yet.  

I agree. I think the landscaping end exterior of the homes are so nicely done you don't really need to do anything outside if you don't want to. I certainly don't think any of the new  LL home areas look like the apocalypse - even the unfinished ones:)

• Like 4

It can be many reasons. The Victorians are so large that many people prefer to use all their Li inside. As already mentioned, the landscaping and flowers in (almost all) the Victorian land is more than enough as decor.

I have my own thing I wish for, that people would use at least 1 Li on an outdoor light. The totally dark houses look so sad. But that is just me, I can't tell others what to do. I always make sure to use some outdoor lights, set sun to midnight and check it's not too much.

So... the homes that has used 0 prims (can click inside the parcel and look at "about land" is at least less textures for my pc to load. I am using lots of 1 Li knick-knack in addition to furniture. I benefit from an empty home next to me.

Why are people taking a Linden home and not using it? Because it is included with Premium and they want what they paid for. They can have good enough economy that they own or rent a whole island elsewhere. It is one Traditional house in particular that has exceptional view, taken 19th April 2019 and 0 prims used.

It can also be that they have quit SL, and forgot to stop the renewal. So until the payment for Premium stop, the house is owned by them. I know it sounds strange, but for some people, Premium is a small amount they don't even notice. I actually did that last year, I joined some video editing online with monthly payment. I only used it the first 2 weeks, but had it in 3 or 4 months. It is annoying to think back, automatic renewal is very good for a business.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

It can be many reasons. The Victorians are so large that many people prefer to use all their Li inside. As already mentioned, the landscaping and flowers in (almost all) the Victorian land is more than enough as decor.

I have my own thing I wish for, that people would use at least 1 Li on an outdoor light. The totally dark houses look so sad. But that is just me, I can't tell others what to do. I always make sure to use some outdoor lights, set sun to midnight and check it's not too much.

So... the homes that has used 0 prims (can click inside the parcel and look at "about land" is at least less textures for my pc to load. I am using lots of 1 Li knick-knack in addition to furniture. I benefit from an empty home next to me.

Why are people taking a Linden home and not using it? Because it is included with Premium and they want what they paid for. They can have good enough economy that they own or rent a whole island elsewhere. It is one Traditional house in particular that has exceptional view, taken 19th April 2019 and 0 prims used.

It can also be that they have quit SL, and forgot to stop the renewal. So until the payment for Premium stop, the house is owned by them. I know it sounds strange, but for some people, Premium is a small amount they don't even notice. I actually did that last year, I joined some video editing online with monthly payment. I only used it the first 2 weeks, but had it in 3 or 4 months. It is annoying to think back, automatic renewal is very good for a business.

If people did check midnight, they would know that their curtains are full bright and their neighbors are judging them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

With the old Linden homes a lot of people just used them as an emergency landing spot if their main home location was down. After all, most long-term premium accounts upgraded so they could buy their own land. People who own full regions mostly aren't interested in living on housing estates in close proximity to others, but if the Lindens are offering them a tier-free bolthole they might as well take it.

• Like 1

I’m very bad at decorating, and beyond that I don’t like it. So I bought a barn, and that is where I live. Its modify so I have been having fun with it. I have very little in my LH and I see lots of other empty homes in Belli. And when at my sky barn, over 3000m high, and extend my draw distance, wow, everyone loves a sky box, they are everyplace.

11 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I have the opposite opinion actually. 🙂

Preferences being what they are, excessive light is very annoying to me.

I have all but one of my lights scripted to turn off if no one is inside the parcel The one light left is a candle I've yet to rewrite the scripts for - but at least it only comes on at night. My own lights also are scripted to come on at night, IF and ONLY if someone is inside the parcel.

It is useful to remember, if you do use outdoor lights, that it is a covenant violation for your light to reach into someone else's parcel.

Here I show how to see how far out your lights are going:

Many of those '1 LI' knick-knacks are using hacks that cause them to be extremely laggy - if it has just way too much detail for a 1 LI item, it's probably heating up your GPU. This seems to be more of an issue with gatchas, but not always that easy to split the difference on.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1348 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.