Newbie scripter question - script detection of IMs?

Ancilla3704

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1323 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all, 

I'm still just learning to script so please forgive me if this is obvious. :)  It's difficult to search, because usually people abbreviate to "IM" which is too short and too common a sequence to search effectively.

Is there a way that a script can detect when the avatar wearing the scripted object sends an IM to a group or to another avatar?  

Note - I don't want the script to actually *read* it or store it or interfere with it. Just say "hey, one was sent" and then trigger unrelated things.

I know from the existence of RLV that you can *prevent* sending an IM, or allow it only to certain people, but I don't want to prevent it or interfere with it, only to note it and take another action. The only reference to IMs I seem to be able to find in the lsl wiki is for llInstantMesssage, which doesn't seem to be what I"m looking for. 

Also: if this IS possible, can it differentiate between IMs made to other avatars directly and those to groups? 

Thanks!

It seems to be a policy decision that scripts cannot listen to SL's instant messages.

llGetAgentInfo can be used to tell when an avatar is typing. Test for the AGENT_TYPING bit. But you can't tell whether they're sending an IM or typing in chat.

(I wish you could tell. Then you could have a cell phone attachment which comes out only when the user is sending an IM, to show their attention is elsewhere. Like RL.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1323 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.